My GC Hardtop project

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
A112H

Re: My GC Hardtop project

Post by A112H »

Thanks heaps mate, good work.
Anyone got a short housing large spline gearbox for sale???
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Galant_GT0 wrote:Anyone got a short housing large spline gearbox for sale???
Yep, out of a GH scorp 2.6L wide block, but it's in Sydney.

Cheers.
A112H

Post by A112H »

lol, Any idea on $$$??
Are you anywhere near Chipping Norton?? If so I could get it sent through work ;)
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Used to work at Chipping Norton for MTUDDA a few years ago. It's about a 40 minute drive from home.

PM me.

Cheers.
A112H

Post by A112H »

LMAO, I work for MTUDDA in Adelaide :) Funny stuff.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Just bought a set of 4 15x6 Watanabes and a set of 4 Pepper Pots. I am not a fan of PP's but they were looking lonely so I had to grab them. The PP's might be for sale soonish if anyone is interested or swap for 4 Turbo wheels?
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

Possibly interested in the PP's so keep me posted - no rush though as still knee deep in the mechanical side of the GSR at the mo :)
A112H

Post by A112H »

Spoke to Steve Knight today about building my 63 for me :D He has convinced me that DOHC is probably a viable option for the power I am after. I would have loved to keep it SOHC for that stock look but, ya gotta do what ya gotta do, lol. He is pretty happy we can achieve 240rwkw for pretty good money, he has some interesting ideas. If I can't trust him with it I can't trust anyone with it, the guy is a Evo legend :D So the saving begins :)
woops

Post by woops »

That kinda coin and mods was he suggesting that you'd need for those power outputs. And what bottom end and gearbox combo was he suggesting. Wide or narrow block and did he suggest a starion gearbox or custom bell housing and a w-series or a RX7 gearbox swap?
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
A112H

Post by A112H »

I am only chasing 180rwkw realisticly, but Steve was all excited, lol. He may have a very interesting option for me but I am keeping that under my belt for the time being.
Initialy I was using the block and gearbox I stripped from the JA Starion I bought, but might be onto something else. I think traction will be a bigger issue than gearbox or axle strength in a 950kg car :thumpsup:
A112H

Post by A112H »

Okay, so I have taken the shifter covers of both my gearboxes, the idea is obviously to move the shifter forward.
What I have noticed is the only difference between the boxes once the cover is removed is the connector between the stick and the selector shaft. Is there any reason why I can't just change the connector? Do I really need to split the boxes and change over the rear housings?

Pics

Sigma

Starion
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Check the diameter of you seal on the rear of your extension housing. If it is the same ID, then (as far as I know) then you should be right?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

You would need to re-drill the dowel hole because they are in a different position (circled in red)

You may be able to remove the connector as long as you can move the selector shaft far enough forward.
For that, you would at least need to remove the 2nd dowel (circled in green).

If you want to change the complete housing, all you need to do is undo the selector centering screw (circled in blue) and the housing bolts then it will just slip off.

Cheers.
A112H

Post by A112H »

I appreciate the help guys. Think I will just change housings as I don't think the shaft will slide forward enough if at all.

Just out of interest does anyone know what this does in the red circle?? Only the Starion box has it.

Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Galant_GT0 wrote:Just out of interest does anyone know what this does in the red circle?? Only the Starion box has it.
Reverse lockout.

Cheers.
A112H

Post by A112H »

What sort of diff ratio are people going for? I think stock is about 3.88, how would a 3.08 go?
I am thinking of using a XE-AU Disc brake LSD and they have a few ratios but I am not sure which would be best. My car will mainly be used cruising so I am thinking 2500rpm at 110kph would be good.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Just found a complete 3.23 for $150, think this might be a good option?????
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Galant_GT0 wrote:My car will mainly be used cruising so I am thinking 2500rpm at 110kph would be good.
I'm getting 2500rpm at 100kph in 5th gear, with a 3.42 diff.
A 3.23 would give you 106kph at 2500rpm in 5th gear.

Cheers.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Perfect, thanks for that. I think the Falcons came in a 3.45 or something like that? Maybe that or a 3.7??? would be better

edit:
Just found a EF XR6 lsd with 3.45 ratio
A112H

Post by A112H »

So I got some old tyres I had around fitted to my widened rims that have been freshly powder coated black.
I love the dishy dish but can't decide if I like the bare rim or with the outer trim. Any thoughts???

MMMM Dishy dish

With trim

With out trim

Both

I will get them on the car tomorrow and get some more pics :)
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

with trim, just needs that little bit to distinguish between the black of rim and tyre
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

A112H

Post by A112H »

Yeah I prefer them with the trim.
The wheels are now 15x8 +10 fitted with 205 50/15 old skool retreads that I bought on ebay for $22 the pair, lol
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I agree that it needs something, but I think the chrome wheel trims spoil the look of the wheels.

What about a white or red pinstripe around the outer lip to break it up?
Also: Is it possible to get the wheels back weighted like they do on mag wheels, so you don't see the weights around the face of the rim?

They look good BTW :thumpsup:

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
A112H

Post by A112H »

All fitted up, final product, I think lol. Also added my red valve sleeves and ralliart caps :P

What do you guys think? Comments, good or bad?

They should fill the gaurds nicely once the back is lowered, still trying to finalise a diff. Think I am going to use a disc brake R31 LSD for starers and see how that works out before going bigger brakes and 5 stud if needed.
Last edited by A112H on Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Sorry I didn't answer you in the last post Dave, I think you must have been typing it while I was messing about with pics.
I agree about the red stripe on the very outer lip, I will try one later and see how it looks. The trim looks good but it does stick out a bit more than I would have liked. But that does make them look more stretched than they are, so I get a cool look but retain some comfort.
So I guess I am not finished with them yet, lol

Something like this?

A112H

Post by A112H »

Been messing around with my boot set up and I think this is pretty much it. I of course will be making a faulse floor and hide a space saver and factory jack under it. I am making a filler neck up to suit the cell so it can be tucked away to keep the weight over the axle not hanging out the back, and it looks neater, IMHO

DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Looking great Jason

I love the stock wheels being widened!
its subtle and the extra width of the tyres looks awesome!

I actually like the chrome outer as long as they are all perfect, no good if they are dented up or scratched...

Fuel system looks very nice too.

Glad you are taking your time with this, will be worth it :thumpsup:
A112H

Post by A112H »

Cheers Dan,

The boot lay out is pretty important for function as well as looks, think I might end up with the pump and surge tank on the passenger side of the fuel cell so I still have some boot space, lol.
The trims are brand new, after months of looking through shops at plastic crap I found these stainless ones at Autobarn, and only $27.99 each, bargain :thumpsup:
I am settled on them now, the red trim would look nice but I think the trims are the go :D
Last edited by A112H on Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking.
Galant_GT0 wrote:I am making a filler neck up to suit the cell so it can be tucked away
Will the filler be in the boot?
What I mean is, will you have to open the boot to be able to fill your tank?
Or have I misunderstood, and you are running a neck from the original location on the body work to the cell?

If it's the first one, won't you get petrol fumes in the cabin?
Don't want to sound like Mr Safety or anything, but isn't that dangerous?

Dave...
A112H

Post by A112H »

We gotta stop typing at the same time Dave, lol
All good on the Mr Safety front, it will need to be filled from inside the boot .............. but, I will be sealing the boot with steel plate behind the back seat and the original filler flap used to vent fumes. The cell does have a vent in the top that I might run a hose to the old filler to ensure it vents properly.
Second option is to run a filler to the centre of the boot where it joins near the back window, kinda like the r30 Skylines were on the corner but in the centre.
Like this

Still some sorting to do really, maybe I could make one of the 'C' pillar badges into a petrol cap like a TA22 Celica.
Problem is that the factory filler is to low to work with the cell, the fuel would almost be going up hill from filler to tank, lol