Mum & Dad's '74 GC Galant Coupe

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
C_Fernance

Mum & Dad's '74 GC Galant Coupe

Post by C_Fernance »

As some of you may already know I helped my Dad purchase Yellow_Terror's Galant Coupe. Was trailered back to my house on Saturday, and looked like this.

Dad wanted an engine in it so we could get it on the road and driving as soon as possible. We ended up pulling the old belt drive out of my wagon, along with a radiator and a few other bits and pieces. Almost a full days work later and we have an engine in, running, and driveable.

Dad is driving it back home tonight, and will then be giving it a tune up and start fixing the body up over the next few weeks. Will also be getting some new tyres in the near future which will be put onto a set of Scorpion mags.

GC75
Admin

Re: Mum & Dad's '74 GC Galant Coupe

Post by GC75 »

looks mad 8-)
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

Yeah, nice work Chris. Wheels+grille=WIN. Bet you've made your old man proud !
But what about the wagon ??
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
Decrepit

Post by Decrepit »

Hey Chris, Dad here, car went well on the trip home in the wet and dark.

Steering is a bit twitchy and it only slipped out on one roundabout (have to change that welded diff over to the wagon diff very quick or mum won,t drive it). engine is very smooth but lacks power on the primary (secondary is good) Tune up definitely needed after sitting so long.

PS the dodgy wooden plug worked well (who let a carpenter install an engine). :o

Will post more pics when I get the new tyres on.

Chris' Dad
1974 GC Galant Hardtop (restoration project - Slow)
1975 GC Galant Hardtop VR4Turbo (pulled out and changed back to a G32B - soon to be a G62BT)
1979 LC Lancer Hatch (50% mine) - Orange & Black - G32B (Son's daily)
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

Did you get any work done on it this weekend Dad?

I was working in the shed today and found a spare grill. It's only a sedan/wagon one, but it is in one piece. You could fit it till you get the original one fixed or replaced.
SpEc_OpS

Post by SpEc_OpS »

What are those wheels off there quite nice also i have a gh scorpion with a standard diff in it if ur interested in a swap for the locker?
Drive It Like You Stole It

The Drifter = 99 VS Ute (Kaaz 2 way LSD + 3.8 v6 on boost :lol:)
The Old Drifter = 99 S15 Spec-R (GONE :()
The Project = 80 GH Scorp (shes getting there)
The Fourby = 92 4Runner (can climb yo mumma)
The Daily = 95 Camry (the gf gotta have a car too)
The Shitter = 89 Hiace (with ever panel customised)
The Untamed = 98 cbr 600 (nearly killed me twice but i still love her)
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

They are Scorpion wheels. They came factory on the GE Scorpion, and some GL Scorps.

We already have a few GH Scorp diffs so don't really need any more. Also, the locked center would be smaller then the one in your GH diff. It can be fitted but you would need a GE Scorp diff housing, axles, etc for it to bolt into your Scorp. If you still want it i'm sure Dad can work something out with you.
SpEc_OpS

Post by SpEc_OpS »

nah its cool got anymore of those ge scorp wheels? would u consider a trade for gh scorp wheels?
Drive It Like You Stole It

The Drifter = 99 VS Ute (Kaaz 2 way LSD + 3.8 v6 on boost :lol:)
The Old Drifter = 99 S15 Spec-R (GONE :()
The Project = 80 GH Scorp (shes getting there)
The Fourby = 92 4Runner (can climb yo mumma)
The Daily = 95 Camry (the gf gotta have a car too)
The Shitter = 89 Hiace (with ever panel customised)
The Untamed = 98 cbr 600 (nearly killed me twice but i still love her)
Decrepit

Post by Decrepit »

Just a quick update.

1 - Friday 17/4/09
- I had some Bridgestone Turanzas (185x60x14) fitted to the five alloys that Chris kindly donated (what are kids for :D even gave me a matching spare rim ).
- Chris came to visit and collected his spare scorpion diff which has been sitting here for years ( I think he was worried that I might find a use for it ;).

2 - Saturday 18/4/09
- Cleaned up and painted the wagon diff housing that Chris had given me and removed the brake backing plates that were still attached and damaged.
- Found one wheel bearing that was rough so swapped that axle over for one from the assembly in the car.
- Removed the brakes and backing plates from the diff housing in the car and tied up out of the way (no need to disconnect hydraulics as I had to re-use the original brakes).
- Wire brushed the inner guards and gave them a quick coat of satin black.
- Found and repaired a major rattle (electric fuel pump had come adrift and was banging against the axle housing).
- Correctly refitted the brake shoes and adjusted the handbrake ( the self adjuster spring had been installed incorrectly and the brakes had been adjusted up with the hand brake cable adjuster).
- Fitted longer wheel studs to the rear axle where required to allow fitting of the alloys.

3 - Sunday 19/4/09
- Took my wife for a short drive (she likes it :mrgreen: ) she wanted a drive (I taught her to drive in a metallic silver GC sedan back in 1983) but she couldn't because the seat belt isn't long enough to reach the buckle with the seat fully forward, bugger :( Looks like I'll have to see if a scorpion belt from one of Chris' spare cars will fit :twisted: or stretch her legs a bit :shock: .

That's all for now.

Decrepit

PS Hey Chris I'll get that Grille off you - what else have you got??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
1975 GC Galant Hardtop VR4Turbo (pulled out and changed back to a G32B - soon to be a G62BT)
boyracer

Post by boyracer »

Interesting isn't it, the wagon we bought came without a brake
booster, I'd reckon your lucky because I don't think your mother
would drive a Galant without a brake booster..........................
More when do my own thread......
------------------------------------------------------
1 X GALANT WAGON (EX-EBAY)
3x la lancer 2door
2x gc galant hardtop
1x gc galant wagon
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Hows it going Randolf ;) Your boy get all of the shit off the front lawn yet?

Still a lot of stuff the last time I drove past. Is this little car to replace the Jag, or just a toy.

Didnt you have Galant or Lancer or something similar when you lived down at the Bend in Maitland about 30 years ago.
Decrepit

Post by Decrepit »

Hi Sigmaproject (Barry ????)

Still have a bit of Chris' stuff in the front yard, namely a scorp sunchaser convertible rusting away, as well as a 4g63 block, two manual transmissions, two auto transmissions, some front struts and miscellaneous panels - we won't discuss the back yard :roll:

In the front yard I ONLY!!! have Two Jags (one is my parts car and won't fit in the back yard and it is cheaper to keep a parts car than buy parts for them), my hilux work truck, my wife's suxuki vitara, a VP crapadore calais that I bought off Chris and haven't stopped spending money on and the new toy (GC Galant hardtop).

In my opinion the Galant is the easiest to work on and will be used as a learn to drive car for Chris' little sister (turned 18 on 23rd April). If she doesn't keep the car it will be my toy. :D

And yes I have owned a few Galant's. Bought my First one in 1976 for $5,185.00 (GD GL wagon, Topaz Gold with parchment interior, HWD476 - Eng No. 2E44444 - and that's all from memory) had it for four years and had to sell it to get the money to put a new roof on the house. Since then I think I have had three sedans and another wagon as well as two LA lancers. Other family members have also had wagons, sedans and my brother in law at one time had a very rough 2 door LA Lancer that I used to keep running for him.

I bought Chris' first scorpion as a toy for myself and to teach him to drive. He decided he wanted to keep it and now I have a back yard full of scorpion and starion bits :( .

The good thing is that I can now find a use for some of the stuff in the back yard (Starion struts and front brakes, Scorpion rear axle and disks, etc :P

It's a pity that Chris has all his Galant parts at his place :twisted: but I can't complain as he is helping out where he can.

This post is way too long.

PS The hardtop spent Yesterday at the local steering and suspension mob but they couldn't do the job as some part had to be ordered in for the steering box. It is now booked in for next Friday so they can complete the job.

Decrepit (Randolph with a ph not f) ;)
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Sorry about that Randy. I know we used to call you Randy at work, but now that we have matured a bit it somehow doesnt sound right :roll: .

Good luck with the car.
Decrepit

Post by Decrepit »

Time for a quick update.

Over the past months, I have been collecting bits and pieces and just driving the car. It has given no trouble at all and is very reliable (touching wood).

So.... After christmas, I decided to tackle what was for me a major job ("A" pillar rust). I had scrounged a good patch panel from my son (Chris Fernance) but due to work and other committments could not find the time to do the repair. Chris was too busy with his new Sigma to help out so I decided to talk to a local smash repairer about it.

Outcome was that if I removed the bumper and guard he would fit my patch panel for $120.00. On removing the rusted outer section, we found that much of the inner sections were also rusted away with a large hole allowing water to drain into the interior :( . The inner guard was also badly rusted and required repair. The total repair ended up costing me $300.00 which I was happy with as I would not have been able to complete it myself and keep the car on the road.

Having found a smash repairer that can do the job quicker than I could and charges less than I would, I decided to let him tackle the rust in the lower rear quarters. I had no patch panels this time and he had to make up new sections to fit if needed. The panels didn't look to bad but some old bog repairs were starting to bubble.

It appears that rust is like an iceberg. What you see is only about five percent of the total damage. Ended up needing to replace both the inner and outer guard panels on both sides of the car, a section of the lower rear panel and small filler sections at the rear of the wheel arches. The new panels were made from 1.2 mm steel which is heavier than the original panels and the final finish is good (only primed).

Spent a bit more than I originally intended but all major rust repairs are completed :D .

Some pictures of the repairs follow. (The repairer kept a photo log of the work and returned all the cut away pieces to me).

Need to get the front of the car back together now and want to play with some engine bits I have accumulated.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Nice work.
It looks like it's coming together...

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

May I be as rude to ask for the name and number of this panel beater??? :$
Decrepit

Post by Decrepit »

The work was done by;

Medowie Smash Repairs
Lot 201 Main Road Medowie NSW
Ph (02) 49828666

Speak to Darko (???)

The work is not perfect but is a lot better than I could have done in a month of Sundays.

Darko reckons "the rest of the car will be a pile of scrap before the repairs rust". (Could this statement be taken as a lifetime guarantee).

I used him because I am always working in the area and could drop in to check on progress.
He is also prepared to do what the customer wants wether it be a bog job or total restoration and will price accordingly.

I just have to put the bumper and grille back together now and take it for its rego inspection. (Hate rego inspections 8o|)

Randolph
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Allways good to know a beater that actually does rust repairs.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

yeh they quite rare these days!