G'day. Name's Kam. Just picked up a 'Valiant' Galant.

Make yourself known to other members here! Dont be shy!
523SBS

G'day. Name's Kam. Just picked up a 'Valiant' Galant.

Post by 523SBS »

Currently living in Brisbane - keep an eye out for my Sunfire Yellow GB 1400!

Long time Mopar fan, never looked at the Jap side until I needed a new daily and saw the ansrwer to my problem at Mopar Mayhem last month, a mate rocki up in a neat '72 Galant with the standard 4G33, standard 4 spd.. ..in fact everything was standard bar the new wheels, as this was a rust-free dent-free one owner Galant originally sold in 1973 from the Chrysler dealership in Ayr, far north Queensland. How do I know? In the glovebox was the original owner's manual, sales manual, sales brochure, Chrysler advertisements, and servicing logbook showing a legitimate 42,000 miles on the clock. I went home while the bug lay dormant within me - meanwhile the owner won a trophy at the Dyno shootout on Mopar Sunday for a tyre chirpin' 51.1rwhp

By this time I had heard wind of what kind of offer he'd accept for the Galant, and decided on my trigger number. A couple people flaked out and wasted his time, I swooped in for the kill and now I've got a damn good little Jap-Chrysler. So far it's been easy to drive despite an almost hilarious lack of gadgetry for a Japanese car of its era (electric nothin', shit I ain't even got a crystal radio up in this bitch) but can be limited at the top end by the 4spd. My plans are to keep it dead original, with maybe the addition of NOS wind deflectors and a couple other touches you'll see as I keep you updated. Why spoil a good thing?

There are PLENTY of original spares and replacements that came with it to keep it real i.e. hubcaps etc, including another 4spd tranny and a spare 4G33.
It's tempting though to see another mate for his re-co'd LA Lancer 5 spd (he wants a slab, will throw in two MORE 4G33s / 4G32s - did these things grow on trees or something?!) and/or change the diff gearing down. I have noticed the Galant even with only 51.1hp doesn't have trouble chirping the tyres through 1-3 gears if given a bit of stick!

Apart from the recent addition, I'm a full-size-car kinda day. But I think you guys could get me to appreciate the lightweights. What I do know:

Astrons go hard - back in the day, we bought $100 Sigmas (..and Geminis, and 120Ys, even the odd 200B or Bluebird. I almost cringe now, thnking about it) to thrash around Kwinana, TIG locker diffs where applicable. Astron 2.6 was THE engine of choice!

Scorpions are ok.

I have always liked the styling of the Starion and have one in my Forza 4 garage (if I'm playing a game, it's Forza Motorsport).

And that's about it.
75wagon
Admin

Re: G'day. Name's Kam. Just picked up a 'Valiant' Galant.

Post by 75wagon »

Welcome to the forum Kam.

Glad to hear this has gone to a good home :thumpsup:

You've already answered my usual question (what are your plans for it).

I think the 5 speed is a necessity, but you'll have the shifter 50mm further towards the rear of the car, so if it doesn't have a console, then it's going to be difficult to hide the mod.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
ddt

Post by ddt »

Cool GB -it looks new! Do you have more pics you can put up?

i take it from the Kwinana reference, you are originally from WA?
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
523SBS

Post by 523SBS »

Cheers guys for the welcome. I have the day offso I thought I'd come back.

75wagon I'll probably take your advice with that 5spd. Swap it in and can put the 4 speed knob on it to look legit anyway, right. Should I have a rubber boot if I have no console??

DDT nah I just lived in Anketell for five years, on Treeby Rd which leads straight into us local boy's kingdom. The dirt tracks and mud lake off Treeby Rd and Thomas Rd (in between Casuarina Max Security and the Shell/Old bloke with shitloads of old cars on the Thomas Rd overpass into Parmelia/Orelia ( still the best fish and chips ever!)). It's where there was that massive bushfire about 5 years ago now, look it up on Nearmap.com if you're interested in a good place to go. Treeby Rd was barricaded several times but most people were able to get in off Thomas Rd, if you go hard left straight after the stock feed place that keeps the Emus.

A lot of stories and a lot of fun had there.

In reply to your posts, let me explain.

BORING SHIT: The car is in immaculate condition. No rust anywhere, no dents or even chips or scratches in the paint. Body bumper strips aren't sagging, all chrome on the car is 100% pit-free with no scratches or wear either. Same goes for all badges and even painted centrecaps. Unbelievable! There has been a touch up to the paint at some stage (though still no panel damage underneath!) because the Sunfire Yellow isn't exactly colour matched, but then I'm a perfectionist.

More interesting: It does want new rubber seals for the doors, though. 40 years in North QLD has taken its toll on them. Yep its 40th birthday coming up in September - My tags read:

Manufacture Date: '9/72' @ Adelaide
Build code: 'GB1M41/CI13-0004',
Body code: 'YJ BERG1568'
Trim code: 'T1' which I take to mean is the lowest trim level*
Options: blank
Roof: blank (Was there a Vinyl roof option?)

*Because my GB has no radio at all, instead having a blank off plate as does the heater, and I don't have a console or even a rubber boot around the floorshift. Missing, maybe? I don't know what the standard equipment was, guess I should take another look at the sales brochure huh?

I'll post pics of anything requested, if you want. In other news, used motor oil is about the only thing that removes food colouring from hands (was making nasty chilli vodka last night).
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

523SBS wrote:In other news, used motor oil is about the only thing that removes food colouring from hands (was making nasty chilli vodka last night).
:wut: lol

nice car mate. very tidy indeed! im looking for the rear blinds if you know where i can get em?

cheers,
Mick :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
523SBS

Post by 523SBS »

Not really a regular thing, but I'll keep a like minded brother in mind and snap a set up if I hear of any for a steal. The other set of NOS venetians here for another Chrysler are probably significantly rarer still. Anyone looking for any other parts? I should know someone for st things, or someone who knows someone..

Now, back to businesss - I heard you lot like pics, so here are some piccies from the weekend that made me want to put a offer on the Galant (not me driving, unfortunately):

Taken at Mopar Mayhem at Queensland Raceway and Mopar Sunday at Willowbank drags, respectively. We were at QR the weekend before the V8s, and the track had just been resurfaced but was right as ever. If you've ever driven around Queensland Raceway yourself you'll truly appreciate watching the V8s lap it at the speed they do. If you haven't, and live on the East Coast then where the bloody hell are ya?! Mark your calendar for next year, a Mopar weekend end of July. Camping at Queenland is $20 with a feed included instead of driving into town and paying for a motel.
Last edited by 523SBS on Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

yep, just after turn 2 (the little bumps) are a bitch, and if your not careful, i think its turn 5? (the last one before the lap straight), can get ya when it tightens. but, all good fun :) i seen this post after the guy came back, i was going to trailer my galant there but didnt have the money :/
N/A ALL THE WAY
523SBS

Post by 523SBS »

Yeah we had a time, what did you come in?

For anyone else -- Mopar Mayhem is in only its second year, I think, but there was double the turnout as last year for good reason. You get as much track time as you could possibly want, to lap Queensland raceway no speed limits nothin'. No bumper to bumper crowded school-zone speed crushing like Powercruise. This is balls to the walls one wheel in the air tyres scrubbing out sphincter staining the undies while a big block Challenger flies up your inside, with a Centura in its sights. They've also got a skid comp at the end which in coming years is set to become pretty epic, and face-off/versus drags down the straight.

Technically, all cars that were sold under the Valiant or Chrysler badge are welcome, and it's always the more the merrier. So git yer arse over here and make a weekend! It was a good weekend.

P.S. If there's any clubs (jap import, Mitsubishi, galant, silver scorpion drivers associaction you name it) that want to organise a club day at Queensland Raceway or Lakeside Raceway pm me and I'll put you onto the right people to talk to.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

i didnt go this year :( so now i'm gonna try for next year... meanwhile i may got to the hot4s jamboree on the 22nd and 23rd sept. is mopar mayhem a once a year thing?
N/A ALL THE WAY
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

Nice car :)
And Welcome
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin