84 GSR owner here

Make yourself known to other members here! Dont be shy!
wilksy

84 GSR owner here

Post by wilksy »

Hey fellas, names scott and have owned my 84 GK GSR sigma for the past 3 years..

The car was bought by my father when he had us children, sold his HX monaro for it, when he upgraded in 99 to a magna, my sister bought it off them, that is when it started to go downhill :(, over the time she had it it started to rust in the front doors slightly, interior got dirtied quite badly and she fried the clutch and motor haha.

So go back 3 years from now, and i aquired the car for free from her, new tyres, brakes and a few little other bits.

So as it is and wanting to become a mechanic, i pulled the motor nad box, replaced the clutch and rebuilt the motor completely, bores were good so got them power honed, and all internal components were ace, so the block got decked as well as the head, head crack tested decked, guides replaced as well as getting the valves reseated.

Basically just a good standard rebuild with new chains, seals, bearings, gaskets etc etc.

Anyhoo got it going, in time for my Ls and learnt to drive in it.

fast forward 2 years later, and im now on my Ps and still driving the sigma, not 1 problem so far, reliable as all hell, all be it a bit slow but a perfect learning vehicle. At this stage i started looking for a new car, and found it in the form of a 92 Toyota JZZ30 soarer, factory manual and fully optioned.

After buying this, alot of my motivation and money went towards this, and at this time its pushing about 250rwkw without a tune and within the year hopefully 350RWKW once i fit a GT35R to it :)

Now the sigma, i couldnt bare to sell it, so i kept it, and it is a daily vehicle, which is perfect as still has not let me down once.

Poor girl though is starting to show its age though, the front doors have started to rot away, which has led me on a adventure trying to find some doors, but having crap luck. Other than that its pretty much rust free :)

At this point im toying with the idea of respraying it, and either turboing the motor, or going twin carbies, camshaft, headers, and a S2 astron head but not sure yet haha.

Anyhoo thats the story and i will have to get some pics of the siggy up soon, unfortunately i dont have any pics but plenty of the soarer haha.

Cheers
Skidmark

Re: 84 GSR owner here

Post by Skidmark »

Welcome to the site wilksy, im really looking fwd to seeing some pics of your GSR.I think its cool that you have the your old mans car and have the chance to keep it forever, have it stay in the one family all its life ,and to get your Ls in a car and keep it until your old is something I wish I had commited to.Got to watch that rust though ,if its in your doors I bet you a mars bar its in other places too .
85 GN ,daily driver
86 GN ,resto project .
wilksy

Post by wilksy »

Thanks man, yeah love the thing, the reliablity of it is what keeps me holding onto it.

Ive had it up on the hoist and gone over everything, all the seals etc, rest of the doors etc etc are rust free :), the front doors have just rotted to buggery though.

For now i just want to get it neat, get some low and get the wheels polished, if i had the money, it would be getting stripped down haha.

So between a apprentice mechanic wages i have a soarer im modifying, a sigma i want to modify and a 70 HG GTS monaro that i want to strip down and do a bare metal restoration on. grrrrrrrrrrr :D
A112H

Post by A112H »

Welcome to the site mate, sounds like you have some nice rides you are working on. Make sure you bang up some pics for us to check out.
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

Welcome to the site mate :thumpsup:
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Yep, pics or ban :lol:
Sigmas are generally as reliable as. I had a tow truck driver tell me about 10 years ago "those Sigmas are like HQ Holden's you just cant stop 'em". You wont have problems with reliability unless you abuse it or start chasing huge HP.
wilksy wrote:At this point im toying with the idea of respraying it, and either turboing the motor, or going twin carbies, camshaft, headers, and a S2 astron head but not sure yet haha.
Don't forget there is also the Magna EFI option too.

Get some pics of it up so we can see it. Then show your sister this site and give her a slap around the head for letting the condition of the car go by the way side... :lol:

Dave...

Disclaimer: We here at sigma-galant.com do not condone violence as a way of settling problems or for any other reason.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
wilksy

Post by wilksy »

HAHA thanks for the comments fellas, i dont have any pics of the sigma on hand unfortunately, il have to go otu and take some once the rain subsides.

On the other hand ive got a few pics of the monro and soarer so il throw a few pics of them up.

il grap some sigma pics soon, might have to give it a quick clean as this rain has turned it into orange haha
wilksy

Post by wilksy »

well as promised heres some pics of the old girl, just gave it a service today everything looking good, but did notice the fuel pump was spitting fuel, guessing the diaphram started leaking and the fuel was coming out of the bleed holes.

you can see the rot on the doors in these pics.

Also anyone with a standard Astron carby 2.6 what does your motor happily rev to? Mine revs quite good to about 4 but after that nothing, basically just stays flat lol.
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

ahhh it all makes sense now, good to see more tassie members! i saw the picsa on boost tas. my name is 4g32turbo there.
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
wilksy

Post by wilksy »

good stuff, thanks for the comment mate.

What do you own mate? Trying to get some ideas on where to go with the sigma, firstly just need to find some dam doors, then il start tidying it up.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

My suggestion for direction is found here TUFSIG's build http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4

It looks awesome and should perhaps inspire you...

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

wilksy

Post by wilksy »

wow, thats awesome mate, sad that it will never hit the road :(

And ive always loved tufsigs GSR, i really just want to get the sigma neat, lowered and with the pepperpots polished, make the car presentable and tough :), then i can concentrate on the motor aspect of things. Thats if i can withhold spending money on the soarer haha
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

it will hit the road, still regoed as a 1.4 :P
wilksy

Post by wilksy »

HAHA good stuff, whens the ETA for the first drive?
TUFSIG

Post by TUFSIG »

Welcome mate good to see another GSR :P
i can see now why you are looking for fornt doors they have cancer pretty bad aye.
but overall looks neat mate

got any pics of the interior, it reminds me of when i first got TUFSIG all those years ago :P
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR, 2.6 EFI Turbo
1992 Aus Delivered 3000GT Twin Turbo
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

umm dont know mate, aiming for the june basky drift prac day. getting the haltech wired up in a few weeks
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

welcome to the site mate...ahh no matter how old they get or how rusty.they still look sexy...good on ya mate!!
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
wilksy

Post by wilksy »

thanks fellas..

Tufsig no interior pics at this time, il be sure to get some soon though, its the typical blue GSR interior haha.

Seats are a bit grimy, give them a good clean and they would come up good as new though. And the dash has cracked in a few spots :( but may be onto a non cracked 1 :)
TUFSIG

Post by TUFSIG »

yeah seats will come up mint with a steam clean mine did on the 3 gsr's i did it too
and yeah most dashes crack mostly the black top bit above the clock
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

wilksy

Post by wilksy »

yep thats the bit that let go cracked.

Would it be best to hire a steam cleaner or take it to a place and get them to steam the seats?

The rear seats have had seat covers on them prtty much since new, i still havnt removed them lol, so they might be pretty good
coltspeed2000

Post by coltspeed2000 »

My Mrs was reading over my shoulder - her eyes were only for the Monaro... I'll have to forgive her for that I like the colour of it. There was a Charger near my old place in that colour too.

As for the Sigma - I just posted some inspiration

http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=4112

I'd love to see what you do with it.

Steve
wilksy

Post by wilksy »

its a very eye catching colour for sure, the factory colour is indigo orange, will be resprayed factory when rebuilt :)

WOW thats cool, id love to strive for something as cool as that, but i dont think i can afford 40K for the sigma haha
wilksy

Post by wilksy »

well ive been researching lately and have a rough plan on whats happening.

I have managed to source some doors, unfortunately im still missing the drivers side front door :(, so still need to find 1 of them, once i have these il paint them, fit them and enjoy a rust free sigma :)

Also may have found a uncracked dash pad, some tail lights and front indicator/park lights to fit the indicators and play around with the headlights and taillights, possibly tint them, very short on money at the moment due to getting my soarer kit painted at a cost of around 1300 bucks haha so struggling to find the money for these parts lol.

Im also searching for a complete TP magna to get the efi motor and complete EFI parts to swap into the car, the motor will be getting rebuilt and either built with oversize pistons, camshaft, high compression etc etc for a responsive high compression motor :)

Or build the motor to handle a turbo, this is the more $$ option and possibly out of my price range, but would definately be the most fun way of doing it.

The gearbox which is a jap 5 speed il be pulling it down and replacing bearings, seals and possibly synchros dependant on there condition, but it shifts nice and smooth so probably not.

And a heavier clutch, just have a standard replacement in it at the moment and its pretty pathetic, only gripe im going to have is going a HD clutch and it being a daily, plus the cable clutch will kill my leg haha.

So got a few more things to work out, but hopefulyl get there eventually
TVM006

Post by TVM006 »

Nice GSR!

I had similar probs with my door/s. Actually just bought a drivers side door the other day!
http://s807.photobucket.com/albums/yy35 ... M_0016.jpg

:thumpsup: :thumpsup: :thumpsup: :thumpsup:
TVMDouble0h!Sixx

1985 GK GSR
wilksy

Post by wilksy »

o man you have no idea how much i want that drivers side door :(, every wreckers i go to down here have crushed all the sigmas and no luck so far, found a passenger door locally of a mate, but no drivers side :(
TVM006

Post by TVM006 »

got a drivers door yet?!
TVMDouble0h!Sixx

1985 GK GSR
wilksy

Post by wilksy »

nope, still no go :( Seems every wrecker has gotten rid of the old GK sigmas, they only have the older models :(
TUFSIG

Post by TUFSIG »

hey mate im going to the wreckers next weekend im sure i can find you a drivers side door and if so i can prob buy it for you and post to Tas if i find one
let me know
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

wilksy

Post by wilksy »

mate if you find any with no rust that would be ace. Wonder how much postage to tassie would be? Il have another ring around and see what i can come up with, when i do manage to find one they are rusted to buggery due to sitting in the elements for years