Hello from a fledgling member

Make yourself known to other members here! Dont be shy!
megalark

Hello from a fledgling member

Post by megalark »

Hi all, I am a fledgling member. I have a beautiful little 1979 sigma ge which I fell in love with on Ebay last year. I love old cars, and the many quirky aspects of their design. I was particularly taken by this little car's deluxe interiour lighting set up which looks like something out of an old ansett plane and then theres the plush adjustable back seats and the oh so very cute little exterior sun visor ....(if thats what you call it???) I guess on a practical note I also just love the fact that I can reach the roof to wash her! (I always struggled with cleaning the roof of my old tarago) Anyway, as you have probably guessed by now, I really no nothing about the inner workings of cars, and hold in high regard those who have a good grasp of things mechanical. So ... so I will probably not be able to offer much to in the way of commentary on serious questions. Perhaps I will just have to fill the role of active listener till I have a little more to offer. I guess I've joined the forum thinking that bit by bit I might learn a little from all the experts. It would be great to be able to keep my little girl on the road. Anyway, that my intro. Cheers for now!
75wagon
Admin

Re: Hello from a fledgling member

Post by 75wagon »

Welcome to the site.
Sound like you've got yourself an SE version of the GE. I used to have a GL GE. I wish I never sold it.
If your not mechanically minded, you can always comment on how members cars look. There is usually someone asking for an opinion on what wheels they should put on their car.
Keen to see pics of your car....
If you need any help there is a tutorial section or just ask, someone will answer.

You don't live near Sydney do you, you could come on our next cruise.... Just follow the link on my signature...

Dave.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
megalark

Post by megalark »

Thanks Dave, very nice to hear from you. Well, I do live in Sydney and that sounds like great fun. Thanks for the invite. I will let you know. I will also try a get a couple of pictures taken and put up and then perhaps can ask if it is the SE model! (I really don't know the difference!) Thanks again for the welcome!
Last edited by megalark on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

welcome to the site.
like dave has already said,
we are all happy to answer questions, and give advice etc.
make sure you check the faq section
as some people do get annoyed with the same questions being asked over and over
(the faq section is at the top of each section eg, galants garage etc).

definately try and make it to the cruise,
it will give the other members something else to inspire them
and hopefully inspire you to get your siggy to what it should be.

cheers,
Dean.
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

welcome to the site mate, read the stickys as there's useful info for beginners there and what not. :thumpsup:
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Which one of these does your car look like?
This one is the SE...
ImageImage

The plush SE interior, this also came with leather inserts. Note rear arm rest and this model had the 3 position reclining back seat.
ImageImage
ImageImage

This one is the GL.
ImageImage
ImageImage
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Welcome to the site mate.

Nick.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
megalark

Post by megalark »

Hey thanks everyone for being so welcomming.
I have spent a little more time looking round the site...very knowledgable members! And Dave, THANKS for putting up the pics of the different GE versions. You are 100% correct. I do indeed have an SE. So thanks for that. And now that I know that, I have subsequently noticed, while putting air in the tyres yesterday , that the hubcaps even have the letters "SE" on them!!!!
Today, I am furiously bogging and painting a few rust spots round the car front windscreen and under the front drivers door and hoping my temporary attempt to camoflage these areas will help me get the through rego check which is due today!
Fingers crossed the crack in windscreen will get through again.
My plan is to take the car to a professional rust repairer in the new year...which will mean the windscreen will have to come out to get at all the rust and then be replaced with a new one.
Anyway, thats all from me today.
Cheers,
Meg
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

megalark wrote:And Dave, THANKS for putting up the pics of the different GE versions. You are 100% correct. I do indeed have an SE.
Too easy.
megalark wrote:I was particularly taken by this little car's deluxe interiour lighting set up which looks like something out of an old ansett plane and then theres the plush adjustable back seats
That gave it away. I knew it had to be an SE.

Now, where's those pics????
Dave
A112H

Post by A112H »

PICS PLEASE!!!

Sorry for yelling, lol. Pics?
megalark

Post by megalark »

thanks everyone for all your welcomming comments! I thought I had successfully posted a couple of pictures of the car up yesterday...but I must have had my stupid hat on...cause nothing seems to have happened! :\
Anyway, here goes again...

and

and

of course my car's name is Kitty

Unfortunately someone decided it would be a hoot to snap of Kitty's bonnet badge ...so...she is minus her proud emblem these days....if anyone knows of a spare one just lying around anywhere I would love to hear from you!

Cheers for now
Meg
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

do you have the owners manual or anything that shows who's owned the car?

fairly certain my uncle used to own it haha.
the number plate rings a bell for some reason.
will have to check.
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Woooow that looks really good :P
Surely is an SE too: hub caps will say it in the middle, and should have SE on the boot lid :)

Nice find mate, looks good!

Nick.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Very tidy.....
I like SE's in white..........
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Welcome Meg,

We all started off not knowing about cars at one point in our lives, you will find plenty of people willing to give helpful advise and encouragment along the way too

Hope to see you at the next Sydney Cruise

Dan
Splatmarker

Post by Splatmarker »

I like the sunvisor, I used to have a GB galant with a mesh one !! How did your rego inspection go ?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

megalark wrote:but I must have had my stupid hat on...cause nothing seems to have happened! :\
I must wear one of those hats most days I think :think:
DVSGAL

Post by DVSGAL »

Welcome Meg!
camB

Post by camB »

It's a beautiful thing. :)

I remember thinking the SE versions of ours looked a bit kitsch with those hubcaps... but I think they're growing on me.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I always wanted a white SE GE wagon..... Back when I was in school anyway. That was '89 (showing my age now)
I don't know why, I just wanted one.
megalark

Post by megalark »

77galantv6 wrote:do you have the owners manual or anything that shows who's owned the car?

fairly certain my uncle used to own it haha.
the number plate rings a bell for some reason.
will have to check.
Hi there, I actually have the original owners manual with the owners name in the front. It was bought by Mrs E.R. Robinson of Armidale, NSW. Delivered to her on the 14-11-79!. A couple of years ago she sold it to the local NRMA man in Armidale (Greg Norris) who kept it for a year or two and then decided to sell it as he had one 2 many cars! That's when I noticed it for sale on Ebay. Lucky me - Greg was an honest and lovely man. I trusted he was telling me the truth so bought the car on Ebay, hopped a train from Sydney, met up with Greg, discovered he was true to his word - the car was very nice and in good working order and after spending a night at one of Armidale's fabulous caravan parks, drove back to Sydney the next day in my wonderful little Sigma.
That was a year ago.
I absolutely love this little car...
PS The roofrRacks I found locally on someone's junkpile! I think they are the right era/vintage. The tuff toy car look amuses me, its looks so silly with roof racks! So I can't stop there now. I have decided I just have to find a tow bar to suit as well!