Scorpion diffs

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
lchilds82

Scorpion diffs

Post by lchilds82 »

how strong are the scorpion diffs, any insight would be great
4GB63t
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: Scorpion diffs

Post by 81GL »

Seeing as no one else has said anything, I'll throw in my 2 cents worth.

I've had a scorp diff (GJ from memory) in the GD for the last, um, yeah couple years, only gets used on the week ends, but generally doesn't get treated very nicely lol. Havn't had any trouble with it to date. Completely stock, not even welded up - yet.

The way I see it, in a galant, there isn't a whole lot of weight over the rear, so doesn't take a whole lot to get things spinning with the correct suspension set up.

Mind you, if your chasing grip, then that's a bit different & my opinion isn't much use.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Have broken one. Crown and Pinion gears, Not the spider gears. Took off from the roundabout and bang. Dunno how many km it had done or how it was treated before i got the diff. Car is ont driven very often and majority of the time it just get's putted around. Got another one in the car and still going good.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

lancerdarryl

Post by lancerdarryl »

I have been using a Scorpion diff in my Lancer rally car for years never had a problem. It was out of a 2.6 GJ from memory.
nedk

Post by nedk »

ive been running them in my speedway car for yrs, just got the l300 4.6 centre n all bolts up. never broken axels but have had the calipers fall apart a few time n lost bits, dont think ther the greatest design but they do get a flogging. matching up a tailshaft could be a prob, was years since i first did it(duno what it was out of) but you should make it fit somehow.