Jap box output splines

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Jap box output splines

Post by 81GL »

Hey all,

Wanting to know if the output splines are different for the jap boxes going from narrow to wide block?

& whilst I'm at it, the wide block I have has the extension housing for the latter shifter, can you use the shifter assembly from a narrow block to bring the shifter back forward?

Cheers,
Nick.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
75wagon
Admin

Re: Jap box output splines

Post by 75wagon »

Yes they are different.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

lol, was guessing that would be the case...

Cheers for the quick reply Dave
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

Nick if its any help I swaped the shafts and extention housing from a wide to a narrow

I wonted the wide ex housing as its easy to fit a plate across the little welsh plug above the tail shaft that I've had come out on the track while racing

and I wonted to change the front shaft to 23 spline as it was easier to get tilton race clutch with that spline

both shafts have to be changed as the spiget bearing between the input and output is a little larger on the bigger splined shafts ( its the only bearing that is different )
of cause you need the larger extention housing bush that is in the wide box ext housing

to change the LM gear shift to the early more forward position can be done as well - I've done that on mine as well

hope that is some help
cheater