What gearbox will fit the 4g32?

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
Compain08

What gearbox will fit the 4g32?

Post by Compain08 »

Howst it guys, I just purchased a 4g32(1600) engine for my 1972 16L galant. At the momment its got a 4g11(1200) in it with a 4speed gearbox (not sure what make/code). As times are hard I use it as a daily car and sweet on the gas! Wanna upgrade latter on, if anyone out their can help, Would my 4speed gearbox mount up to the 4g32? if not what kind of gearbox would I need? and also, if i wanted to upgrade my current gearbox to 5speed but keep it on the 4g11, what can be used? appreciated...
webby

Re: What gearbox will fit the 4g32?

Post by webby »

Depends on where you are, dood :) If you're here in Oz, you can use a 'box from a 2L Sigma
As for whether the 4-speed will mate up to the 4G32, it should no probs provided both motors have the narrow block
Cheers
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

Ive honestly never seen a 4G11, but I can tell you that a 4speed off a 1500 fits a 4G32. So chances are your box will match up no worries.
Location? - guessing US by the 16L designation. I think the things we call Sigmas were called Galants in the US (?). Anyway, look thru this site for pics of things called Scorpions (the Jap 2 door Sigma) and then pull a 5 speed out of whatever they are called where you are. (Sapporo?).
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
Compain08

Post by Compain08 »

shot guys, im here in NZ, so basicly after a nice 5 speed gearbox that will mount up to my 4g11 and later on to my 4g32 when i get it fully rebuilt and reconditiond. at the momment its just a cruize ride, soon she will be roaring. suggestions on what kind of gearbox?
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

Easy then - as above - just get one out of a Scorpion. It will be a Jap box - narrow block so it should fit your 4G32. The ones out of Sigmas are usually Borg-Warners - wide block - no good. Just measure the distance between the top bolt holes to be sure. And check that the extension housing is about the right length - you'll probably have to move your gear-stick hole back about 40mm.
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Lancer LB and LC hatches have a 5 speed that will fit. the only thing you have to do is move your shifter hole 1 inch rearward
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers