fuel pumps and pistons(efi conv)

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
owtriton

fuel pumps and pistons(efi conv)

Post by owtriton »

Ive just got an m6 head and intake manifold off a tr magna, intake still needs to be modified. I still need wiring loom, relay box, and ecu.
Ive been reading a few posts so have a fair idea of whats going on.
Ive got a 90 model triton 4x4, reason for efi conversion, want more power and economy to turn bigger tyres so this seemed like the best option!
Ive got a few questions,
First: Do i need to setup a surge tank? can i fit the magna fuel pump into my tank and just run that??
Second: If i leave my pistons in will the compression be way to low and make a huge difference in a bad way??
And has anyone done this in a triton 4x4 before and how did it go?
Any help would be appreciated!!
A112H

Re: fuel pumps and pistons(efi conv)

Post by A112H »

Can't help you with most of your enquiry but YES you need a surge tank, especially if you are planning on off roading. A surge tanks purpose is to ensure a steady flow of fuel is available when it might not be in an un baffled tank. Things like high speed corners and steep inclines and declines. If your surge tank is abour 2.5 to 3 lt it should supply enough fuel for a couple of minutes of rock climbing that might see your tank scavage pump stuggle to find fuel.
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

2 options, make a surge tank and run factory magna pump in the surge tank, this has a lift pump and high pressure one all in one...or make a surge tank and run an after market lift pump and high pressure one.
If your pistons are dished then comp will be a little lower, if pistons are flat top then comp will be fine. factory magna are flat top.

Cheers Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
owtriton

Post by owtriton »

So i guess i should run a surge tank cause i do a fair bit of off roading.
So i read a post on here that said tritons have flat top pistons so i can just put the head on which makes things easier! does anybody know of anywhere in tassie that i should take the intake to for modification? im going to get some quotes off local places here on west coast but i reckon they will be overpriced!
amehel0

Post by amehel0 »

i did the EFI conversion into a 1992 MH Triton 2wd. the cars being tuned in Brizzy currently and hopefully ill get it back this week

The Magna fuel pump will most likely need to be replaced with an external unit unless your keen on welding a fuel tank or have the same sized thing that bolts to the fuel tank and has the bracket and power connection for the fuel pump. I didn't have it on my fuel tank. a Bosch 040 from a VL Commo will do the trick and will cost 40 bucks secondhand. also when you go to use it make sure you have the polarity of the terminals correct, i found that mine would sound like it was working and i could feel it vibrate but no fuel would flow until i had switched over the leads. I have mine mounted in the engine bay under the alternator bolted to the chassis. I don't have a surge tank but i do intend on getting one. it works with this setup even with a tank only 1/10th but I'm going to use a surge tank shortly.

Plan to have your car off the road for a while too. its a big job and sorting out all the little problems is what takes the time. i had the conversion 'done' in half a day but it took me a few months till it ran due to ongoing issues. If i were you buy a Magna that runs, that will save time and money and a lot of headaches too. I purchased a cheap one and it took forever to clean all the crap off in the inlet (nearly all the vacuum lines were clogged with carbon buildup) as well as all the other parts and the head had a few cracks in it after being pressure tested. Plus i was left stumped when my car wouldn't start and in the end i replaced the dizzy, coil and transistor, ecu lots of sensors and lots of stuff, because i had no clue as to what was wrong hence why i then got a Haltech which quickly sorted out which sensors weren't working and which were as well as confirming if signals were actually being sent to the various parts. Also I'm pretty sure that most of the time Mitsubishi just used different pistons to change the compression except for the kidney shaped head however i may be wrong on that. also while your at it you may as well get a VRS kit (has all the gaskets and o rings you'll need including head gasket.) if you have any questions you can pm me.
owtriton

Post by owtriton »

Thanks for the info! I will be making sure I have all the parts I need ready to go before I take anything off my engine, hoping the utes not off the road for a few months! I'm planning on just running all the factory gear I'm not planning on turbo or huge power so the factory setup will suit me. So does your triton run fine without a surge tank? Cause if I can get away with out using one that's fine, I'm trying to keep things simple and not too sure where I would mount it as the underneath cops a fair beating off road
amehel0

Post by amehel0 »

well ill see how it goes once its tuned