Please help me learn to do timing on G63B!!

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
colt89

Please help me learn to do timing on G63B!!

Post by colt89 »

Hi all, I'm pretty stuck with trying to do the timing on my G63B... I've never done timing before on anything myself, so I've pretty much got no idea what I'm doing!
I had to take the distributor out to replace the inlet manifold gasket, now I can't get my ute running again and I'm getting desperate. Really desperate.

I took the first spark plug out, took the dizzy out, cranked the wheel until the white line was pointing at TDC mark, then I checked with a screwdriver in the sparkplug hole and it hit something, so I"m guessing it was set right, did it again for good measure.
Then I lined up the small circle on the dizzy near the teeth with the notch on the dizzy shaft (not the pin hole, but the small circle next to it) and then I slid the dizzy back in being careful not to turn the wheel on it.
I put all the leads back on and tried to start... nothing... wont turn over :(
TVM006

Re: Please help me learn to do timing on G63B!!

Post by TVM006 »

Won't turn over at all? :wut:
TVMDouble0h!Sixx

1985 GK GSR
colt89

Post by colt89 »

Sorry, it turns but wont start. Starter motor cranks, but engine wont start. It's getting fuel either via the pump or tipping a tiny bit down the carby...
colt89

Post by colt89 »

I think I basically need a step by step (baby steps) guide to doing timing with pictures! :$
krohny

Post by krohny »

It's a lot of instructions for someone to write down, head to a library and see if they have a workshop manual or try everyone's best friend google, that info has to be on the web somewhere.
But a basic starting point should be fuel, which you said you checked.
Air, which shouldn't be blocked if it was not before the work you did
And spark, which would be my guess by the sounds of it.. Timing of the spark and actual spark, maybe something is not plugged in? So see if your plugs are actually sparking first, then do the timing and go from there
If you need any help you can give me a call on 0404692353, I may be able to help.

Cheers.. Nathan
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

1. Set the motor to top dead centre
2. work out where the distributor should be in No.1 firing position by using the distributor cap for reference.

That should fix your problem.

If you need to, google top dead centre, so you are confident you have it correct.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
colt89

Post by colt89 »

Thanks for all the input guys. I took the cover of the distributor to check it was going to #1, but as I was sliding it in the cog was moving it way out of place. I worked out how to insert it so it would spin to position 1, then I replaced the cover and she started! Now I've just gotta get another new petrol pump, turns out the replacement pump is a dud too!
rx22nv

Post by rx22nv »

Don't worry about the dizzy moving as the gear goes in. Its not meant to be smack bang on the electrode at top dead centre.

To really know whats going on, you have to take the rocker cover off and see where the cam dowel pin is. It has to be at the top in the 12 oclock position. Remember, our engines are 4 stroke so it has to be at top dead centre on the compression stroke.

An easy way to try it if you cant take the rocker cover off is to put the dizzy in at top dead centre and if you are having no luck, take it out, turn the engine one time and then reinsert it (at top dead centre)

Remember the cam rotates once, for every 2 turns of the crank.
GD Galant Wagon 2.6 T04E powerglide - 10.51@124,
GD Galant Sedan Starion powered
amehel0

Post by amehel0 »

take your rocker cover off. insert your dizzy with the cap off into the head but do not engage it when you but the dizzy in make sure that when you do engage it the flange is in the right spot to secure it. also im guessing your using the wrong hole for alignment. it should be the protruding roll pin that secures the drive gear with the twisting teeth to the dizzy shaft, not the opposite side or the little hole near it. then if your at tdc once you do finally engage the dizzy with the cam gear it should point more or less to cylinder no 1. check that the tdc you set was on the compression stroke not exhaust too. check your firing order and that youve reconnected the coil lead (ive fogrgotten that a few times). always marks your work a white pencil is never astray and take photos when possible.

if you pulled the dizzy out at tdc and did not touch the engine, and it was on the compression not exhaust then once the rotor points to number one youve got it right.
amehel0

Post by amehel0 »

however even though the cam rotates twice for every crank rotation the dizzy will only spin once for every two crank rotations
rx22nv

Post by rx22nv »

The cam only turns half a rotation for every crank rotation.

Do you have a timing light?
GD Galant Wagon 2.6 T04E powerglide - 10.51@124,
GD Galant Sedan Starion powered