4g63 Cam and Gilmer Belt Drive Q's

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
H8DAG8

4g63 Cam and Gilmer Belt Drive Q's

Post by H8DAG8 »

Hi guys

So I've got a Sigma with a SOHC 4g63 8valve carby engine (RWD).
I'm interested in what cams there are available for it (or for another engine that will fit these) - looking for big or lumpy cams of some sort.
Also interested in a Gilmer belt drive (that's how you spell it right?) setup, I'm sure I saw one available for a SOHC 4g63 an age ago but can't for the life of my find any now, are there options for these old 4g63 mitsi sohc engines?

Any help/info. be much appreciated.
Please noone asking "why this" "why that" "what for" blah blah blah - I asked some questions I'd just like answers and HELP not comments and sarcasm please :) (experienced this on oldschool.co.nz before so just don't want to run into the same hassle over here - not that I have before with you fellas!)

Thanks guys (and girls).
:)
H8DAG8

Re: 4g63 Cam and Gilmer Belt Drive Q's

Post by H8DAG8 »

Really.. no one has any info. or has done this before????
Thought this would be the ideal place to ask! :google:
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Setting up a gilmer drive is do-able but would take either machining the drive pulleys and/or spacing them to properly align them. Ask a guy at a pro speed shop about what pulleys are available and then find a drive belt that's suitable. Anyone remember the cover of a HOT 4's magazine way back in the day featuring a supercharged RX-7 drag car? A gilmer drive may be a bit brutal on your water pump bearings though... and will necessitate swapping the pulley mounted fan for an electric thermo mounted in front of your radiator. Would sound wild- dare to be different!
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

Dare to be different - that's the plan! Love the sound of gilly's and lumpy cams together that's why I'm after both.
Ok so there's no "kits" or anything for the 4g63s? Would the pullys have to be custom made you think? And the belt custom made?
Was hoping there would be a kit (or close enough) for a 4g63 SOHC engine :hit:
Yea swapping the mechanical fan for an electric one would be fine.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

A set up like that will have to be sorted from a collection of different gilmer pulleys at a guess. I think you'll run into issues with setting up the bottom pulley too (pardon my ignorance but does this engine run a harmonically balanced pulley?)
caboonatlarge

Post by caboonatlarge »

Ive been looking into this also (gave a few replies on oldschool), from what i can gather it is going to be easier to just get the pulleys made up to suit although im not sure how close the pulleys from a 12a would be.There bucket loads of them floating around.

Still keen on a set if you end up getting them made as well as the other guys that showed interest on OS im sure.
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

Got the lumpy cams sorted. Found a place in Auckland that can do 2 different grinds (a street one and a race one) on the factory 4g63 cams.

So no one knows anyone who has done Gilly'z on a 4g63 before? Hmm I was hoping I could find someone else so it wasn't such a mission and I wasn't experimenting and finding everything out for the first time :hit:
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

Thought I'd give it a bump. Still loving my lumpy cams but really wanting a Gilmer belt in there somewhere now to give it that high-pitch whine. Will mask the annoying rattle noise of the ball-bearing in the rocker cover breather with the lumpy cams smashing it around at about idle :)

Anyone got any new/more info on custom Gillys for my engine? Or know of a shop in Auckland, NZ that can fabricate a custom setup? Not looking for a complete setup - just one belt would be fine to give it the whine - I'm assuming this is fine? E.g. just the power steering one or just the alternator one?
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Somebody's gotta go first, might as well be you!
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

Haha would rather not be me! ;)
caboonatlarge

Post by caboonatlarge »

Who did your cam?Does it go a heap better?

Is it hyro or solid lifters?

I might have another look at gilmours again, know a few guys here in rotorua who may be able to machine somthing up.Wont be cheap tho, guessing about $600 to do it.
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

A mate of a mate, Auckland Cams I think they were called - guy was a legend. Cheap as chips and yea definitely notice a power gain in the top end. Still sluggish down low but I'd probably say it does even have a little more lower down too.

Adjustable lifters no hydros in these babys!

Yea found a place in The Mount that will do custom gilmers, full setup wanted $660+gst, for just powersteering setup wanted $550+gst. Also had to machine standy crank pulley etc so wouldn't be able to switch back - main reason I'm not getting it done unless I find another set of pulleys so can put back to standard when/if needed. If you find a better deal let me know!
turbol200

Post by turbol200 »

what was the cam specs of the 2 cams mate ? im pretty keen on them and have you any vids of your car with the new cam
spoto a 57 chev

...a 57 2 door