My 4g54 sc14 project

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
dmcca

My 4g54 sc14 project

Post by dmcca »

Wasnt sure if i should post this in "builds" cause its going into an 88 triton 4x4...

Bought an SC14 supercharger last weekend and started fitting it to a spare 4g54 i had sitting in the shed... so far so good, in fact it actually been very easy.

So far i have used the stock A/C bracket to mount the s/c... i have used a few washers to space the s/c about 4mm back... i had to weld up a new lower mount the s/c fits in perfectly where the air con compressor used to be.

i will be using a dual fuel setup... the s/c will only be used when the gas is switched on, and it will be wired to the air con switch... with the s/c blowing through an impco 200 mixer (fed by an impco L converter) then through a weber 34adm carb off an xf ford. The carb has been reconditioned and will be checked for leaks under pressure, but as long as boost is only used with lgp it should be fine (i think!)... using petrol without boost should happen quite normally. I have made a custom carb hat so that its all sealed. The car is currently on gas but it uses a crappy OMVL converter and an Amos ring mixer so these will be removed to fit the impco stuff.

I have been able to use the stock intake manifold and have only had to modify the outlet of the s/c a small amount so that they dont touch one another (cost $50 in cutting and welding). I have also found a v belt crank pulley off a 302 windsor that will bolt up to the stock crank pulley with very minor mods and I have also found a single v belt air con compressor pulley off a mazda 626 that bolts up perfectly to the sc14, the crank pulley is 170mm diameter and the s/c pulley is 140mm diameter so if you do the maths it will give about 4-5 psi (drive ration of about 1.19:1)... i know this is not much but given that i'm using a stock engine with 312,000 km on it i think this will be plenty of boost to see if the system works. The spare engine i have has done 180,000km and i might look at building this up properly later to handle higher boost and petrol.

For ignition i'll use a bosch GT40RT coil and will probably modify the stock dizzy or use a magna one for now... i will get the engine running first then see what is required here.

So thats pretty much it... so i'm only a few days into the build, i have been to the wreckers 3 times in 3 days after work, the s/c is mounted and ill be fitting the belt and crank pulley tomorrow, with gas fittings, ignition and wastegate next week. this is all being done on the spare engine to make sure it all fits properly, then once it all looks good i reckon it'll ony take half a day to fit it to the car and take it for a test drive. It will easily come in at $1000 - $1100 and that includes buying the s/c, pipes, gas mixer and converter, welding costs, pulleys, ignition coil, carb, carb hat, carb adapter, air box, wastegate, etc.

So far i really surprised at how easy it has been... fingers crossed it works! I'll try to get some photos soon...

This is definitely not a high performance setup, nor will it be a complete hack job, just somewhere in between, and higher psi will be available later if i need it.
panda

Re: My 4g54 sc14 project

Post by panda »

Top marks for trying something different. Looking forward to the pics.
I'm here for a good time, not a long time !

GJ Rally Sigma, 2.6 Haltech MPI [SOLD]
dmcca

Post by dmcca »

Well after a month of making custom parts, fitting a new carb, new gas system and then finally mounting the supercharger, i got it running yesterday... for about 0.5 second before i blew the head gasket.

The only thing i could do was piss myself laughing after all that effort. I didnt even get to drive it, just tapped the accelerator while it was idling, heard the beautiful whine of the s/c cutting in and then bang, running on 2 cylinders with coolant pissing out of the exhaust and the rear of the head.

I spent the day today swapping heads from the current engine (313,000 km) with the head off the spare engine (about 180,000km). I bought the spare without knowing the exact condition but when i opened it the bores are perfect and the head looks brand new... the guy said it had just been rebuilt but to be honest i didnt believe him cause i got it for $150, but definitley do now, it is spotless inside with perfect hone marks, new pistons and the head is extremely clean. Might install this engine sooner rather than later!

Anyway, hope to give it another run tomorrow and hope the new gasket holds. So far it looks like it will work fine... its successfully running petrol and lpg, with the s/c hooked up to the air con switch. Im only running about 4 psi (which i thought would be gasket friendly!). i have fitted a weber 34adm carb which has given it much more power plus better economy, and have also fitted an impco gas system which also has more power and economy over the old amos ring setup.

So far its all come in under $1000.
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Im really interested in how this set up works out .Would love to see some pics. Look fwd to your next update.Well done mate.
SKidmark
85 GN ,daily driver
86 GN ,resto project .
dmcca

Post by dmcca »

Some photos so far... Excuse the ones where the spare engine is outside on the dirt, was just about to high pressure hose it...

the sc mounted using the air con bracket and custom lower bracket

custom carb hat for the 34adm, made from a common Amos ring setup I found at the wreckers with a 2.5 inch pipe welded on

new larger crank pulley bolted to stock pulley,it's off a 302 Windsor and measures about 170 mm in diameter. With the single v belt pulley I found off a Mazda 626 air con it gives a drive ratio of about 1.19 which shouldbe good for 4 psi. I just had to remove the stock air con pulley and bolt this in it's place, then you can use the stock idler. It did require a bit of work on a lathe to modify the pulley so it self centred on the crank pulley, and I had to make 3 new bolt holes in it to match the ones on the crank pulley. Took a little work but much cheaper than running the ribbed belt that the sc usually runs. The v belt can slip, but at only 4 psi it should be fine, have heard Holden guys running v belts at much higher psi on 202's
Last edited by dmcca on Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
dmcca

Post by dmcca »

lower sc bracket boltedto air con bracket. I added some more gussets to strengthen it further after this photo

this shows the sc actually bolted into the engine bay, it's a pretty tight fit but works. The stock triton inlet manifold was slightly larger than the pajero one I used in this photo. The pajero one came off the spare engine and I was surprised that there was a difference at all. The back of the sc was hitting the triton manifold but just missed the pajero one.

this shows the sc mounted to the spare engine. It uses the stock air con idler and just clears the alternator. I had to cut some off the battery tray to get it to fit like this in the engine bay. You can also see the new larger pulley mounted to the stock crank pulley. It lines up with the sc perfectly.

More photos soon
TVM006

Post by TVM006 »

Was this the setup that was on ebay awhile back!?
TVMDouble0h!Sixx

1985 GK GSR
flyingbrick

Post by flyingbrick »

so this is a year late but..... get it going?!!
turbol200

Post by turbol200 »

i am also intested in this, i am toying with idea of one on a 4g32, before every body blasts me, all i have to say is 4agze i had one in a ta22 silly car, i know they are twin cam, have fuel injection and come boosted from the factory, they make good numbers from the factory, they only thing im comparing is the super charger and 1600cc, what do you guys have to say
spoto a 57 chev

...a 57 2 door
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

No blasting from here.
I'd be a little interested in what's involved in this. I think the Saturn is a damn good motor. I have a few of them kicking around, and with the new laws intro'd in NSW, this might be an interesting option...?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
turbol200

Post by turbol200 »

thats it, and one thing is every body looks at em like a 253 holden v8 a boat anchor, there not that bad lol haha dont get me wrong a 253 is good if ya know what ya doin wiv em, im thinkn they are cheap to buy complete(4g32 hat is, so who cares if ya f#@k a few of em geting things right, i was running bout 8psi through a cooler (had a microtech, didnt dyno when i had it so dont know if i was sweet or hated it) i put premium fuel in tho, goin on that im thinkn, same boost and fuel, just gota get the right amoun of fuel in there, and spark....... electronic ignition would be sweet as :D
spoto a 57 chev

...a 57 2 door
Travis32

Post by Travis32 »

i put on of these superchargers on my 94 v6 magna thing went like the clappers