What would you use this for?

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
shuggy

What would you use this for?

Post by shuggy »

I was going through my stuff and I found a Copper 4g32 head gasket shim. What would you use this for? Sandwiching 2 head gaskets to decomp an engine? Its much less than 1mm thick..
cheaterparts

Re: What would you use this for?

Post by cheaterparts »

shuggy wrote:I was going through my stuff and I found a Copper 4g32 head gasket shim. What would you use this for? Sandwiching 2 head gaskets to decomp an engine? Its much less than 1mm thick..
sounds like a head gasket to me I use to run a 0.020" copper head gasket on a 2Lt astron ( about 0.5 mm ) that not an uncommon size
cheater
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

Much less tollerance of head warp then im guessing? Or is there enough flex in the head to ensure A snug seating?
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

shuggy wrote:Much less tollerance of head warp then im guessing? Or is there enough flex in the head to ensure A snug seating?
well if you are using a coper head gasket you do need both head and block to be true - I at the time couldn't get a 2 lt astron head gasket only 2.6 parts
of cause they would seal the head but with a large area outside the combution chamber for fuel/air mix to hide - this made no sence to me with the amound of work done to improve power

I had no problems with the copper gasket and of cause you can keep reusing them - to aneal them ( make them soft again ) just hear to gasket up till it starts to turn colour and let it cool
cheater