Usual vibration

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
Merv

Usual vibration

Post by Merv »

Hey guys i had a problem with my 4g52 where the bolt that holds the tensioner between the balance shaft snapped off and i replaced it and ever since ive had a vibration at idle and pretty much all the way through the rev range. i didn't touch the balance shaft but i used a different sized bolt and tapped the block for it to fit. i was wondering if that was enough to throw the balance shafts out of balance?
cheaterparts

Re: Usual vibration

Post by cheaterparts »

Merv wrote:Hey guys i had a problem with my 4g52 where the bolt that holds the tensioner between the balance shaft snapped off and i replaced it and ever since ive had a vibration at idle and pretty much all the way through the rev range. i didn't touch the balance shaft but i used a different sized bolt and tapped the block for it to fit. i was wondering if that was enough to throw the balance shafts out of balance?
the balance shafts are always out of balance they are made that way - however when the tentioner breaks the bolt and the chain gets loose the timing of the out of balance shafts fails ( moves )

what the balance shaft do is the creat a vibration - this is timed to be oppisite the vibration that all 4 cylinder single plan cranks have
if the timing is out instead of these vibration are not working against each other what you get is a worse vibration

so check the timing of the shafts my guess they have moved
cheater
Merv

Re: Usual vibration

Post by Merv »