Need help! (4g32 timing)

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
75glnt

Need help! (4g32 timing)

Post by 75glnt »

Hey guys.. I'm after a few things.

First up I need a pic of the dizzy with the cap off. (4g32). One that runs. But I need it so the engine is at tdc so I know the position of the dizzy. Mine might be out a few teeth or even 180deg out :\

And I need a set of gearbox cross member mounts (the ones that are on the chassis. Rubbers, sleeves and all). Prefferably a new part from eBay/supercheap etc. or a good second hand one :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
shuggy

Re: Need help! (4g32 timing)

Post by shuggy »

put engine on TDC #1 and there will be a mark in the dizzy. Point the rotor to it. that is your "zero" degrees. Then you need a timing light. Get someone to turn it over while you shine it on the crank and you will see where it is exactly.

'
lance

Post by lance »

One more similar idea ... If you have points
Place it on top dead centre as said above. Now with the ignition on rotate the distributer till you here the points crack. Hold it in that spot and place the cap back on the distributer and look to see if the rotor button is inline with the no 1 lead. Wont tell you if its 180 degree out but may help to see if your a tooth out
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Will try both of those tomorrow guys :D

So.. Is this mark hard to find?
N/A ALL THE WAY
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Hi 75... not sure how you went with the timing, but the mark is pretty easy to find. Roughly, the rotor button will be pointing towards the vacuum advance/carbie at TDC, so you should know the general direction (or 180 deg out!) for tuning with a timing light. Good luck!
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Yea it's out... I didn't get around to it yesterday.. Spent all day at dads.

But if its supposed to be facing the vac, it's out. It's facing the engine.. Or maybe the opposite way. Can't remember but it's out. If where it's supposed to be is 12 o'clock.. Well it's facing 9 o'clock now. But I think when at tdc. It's at 6 o'clock :\
N/A ALL THE WAY