Lexus V8 conversion

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
kermit

Lexus V8 conversion

Post by kermit »

Ok I've seen a lot of posts on here about Lexus v8 conversions,
But all of them are the work in progress, most of them seem to have the engine in,
gearbox on, but it kinda stops there. Is there anyone out there who has finished
the 1uzfe conversion, running and rego'd? The suspense is killing me!

How did you get a tail shaft that fits and what diff fits and can take the 1uz power/torque?
What seems to be the solution for the brake booster and power steering relocation issue?
And while we're playing 20 questions what about the headers?

If the conversion has been done and finished please show pics too.
Any and all help is appreciated. Cheers!
A112H

Re: Lexus V8 conversion

Post by A112H »

You on the right forum? I don't think I have ever seen a project fitting a Lexus V8 on here
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

A112H wrote:You on the right forum? I don't think I have ever seen a project fitting a Lexus V8 on here
Take note of who it was that made the third post on this thread :lol:
A112H

Post by A112H »

:$
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

That Scorp is the main one I know of, last i heard it was for sale still not complete.

It's been done to a couple of Starions. The engine bay is very similar to the Sigma/Scorp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr8ujNihfj0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnlgs04LXGI
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

You would have to start with an auto trans Scorpion shell for clearance - and I've got a (oh what a...) feeling you'd have to use the toyota auto trans with the Lexus engine. The Scorpion would have some serious poke with this combo in it. Expect to cut and shut a good, strong diff into the rear end to survive those moments of enthusiasm. And only someone who's lost the will to live would keep the stock brakes. 8o|
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

You could put one in a manual shell. Plenty of people, myself included, have fitted a W58 into manual Sigmas before. I just did some quick measurements, and using a 10mm thick adaptor between the 1uz bellhousing and W58 will result in the engine bellhousing face being about 10 mm closer to the firewall then an Astron. Should be fine when you consider how far that pipe that runs around the back of the Astron sticks out.

The W58 should be live fine behind a standard 1UZ as long as you don't drive like an idiot. I'd also consider useing a Scorp diff for the same reason. This also means you could get away with a standard length tailshaft, and just change the front yoke to suit the W58. This is exactly what I did in my Sigma.

Wiring shouldn't be an issue. If you really get stuck you can send the harness to a guy on ebay who will mod it to suit a manual with the standard ecu for around $750

Biggest issues I can see would be clearance from the brake booster, and fitting the exhaust past the steering box. Passenger side should be fine. Obviously there is a way it can be done if the Starion guys have done it.