5LTR into Galant?

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
75ANT

5LTR into Galant?

Post by 75ANT »

Hi guys new to the Forum, recently picked up a 75 GC Galant, just thought id ask if anyone has done a Holden injected 5 litre conversion?
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: 5LTR into Galant?

Post by Scorpma82 »

i've never heard of one done, but with such a lil car...would it need a 5L?????

What's the purpose of the car/
Burnouts/events?
Cruising?
Track days?

being the size of the car (and it lack of weight), i think u'd be better off with a later moder turbo/injected setup or rotary.......i'd like to see a 1.5L MIVEC or something like that in the car.......
Built with pride, Driven in anger
jvflash

Post by jvflash »

I searched V8 Galant on Google and got plenty of hits (about 4,200,000 according to Google). Not sure what motor though.
Here is a couple http://www.autofest.com.au/murraybridge ... 1&video=58 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESbgPBdq4yM
A112H

Post by A112H »

There is a South Australian member who has a GC sedan in his shed with a 5.0 and tri-matic sitting next to it along with a enlarged firewall and trans tunnel, modded crossmember and fabbed mounts. It was two years ago I saw this and have never seen the car or him post on the site since.
I think he is about as close as anyone has come to it.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I assume you're asking if you can rego it, because you can fit anything you want in there (if you've got the skills).

What state are you in? If you're in NSW read this if you want to rego it http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... v_2007.pdf
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
75ANT

Post by 75ANT »

Scorpma82 wrote:i've never heard of one done, but with such a lil car...would it need a 5L?????

What's the purpose of the car/
Burnouts/events?
Cruising?
Track days?

being the size of the car (and it lack of weight), i think u'd be better off with a later moder turbo/injected setup or rotary.......i'd like to see a 1.5L MIVEC or something like that in the car.......
Just a weekend cruiser, maybe a few burnouts at shows, just something different i have the running gear sitting in my old SS..so its an option. Turbo motors are quite common being a small car wanted something different.
75ANT

Post by 75ANT »

75wagon wrote:I assume you're asking if you can rego it, because you can fit anything you want in there (if you've got the skills).

What state are you in? If you're in NSW read this if you want to rego it http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... v_2007.pdf
Nah im not worried about it being legal..every car ive had hasnt been legal and ive been alright so far. Im in WA..
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

You cant be serious? If you want to do that buy a torana haha.

Galant = modding everything, basically building a new car around the engine.
75ANT

Post by 75ANT »

Yeh im dead serious..Torana? nah mate haha this comment gives me more incentive to do it. I rekn i could get it in without modding any of tunnel or engine bay..its a big bay. i personally think its very do-able.
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

tunnel will need mods

will never be registered

would be a fun drive
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
75ANT

Post by 75ANT »

if tunnel needs mods doubt ill go ahead with it..cars in killa condition, was sitting in this old ladies garage for 20 years..see what happens anyway
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

what about a 3.5L Rover V8?

Lighter and physically smaller than a cast iron Holden V8.

+ if people can't recognise what car the V8 (originally) came from, they'd be more interested in the car, trying to find out
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

or a 253?
A112H

Post by A112H »

Either way you will need to chop the trans tunnel in a Galant.
Seems a waste of a perfectly good car IMHO, go and find something no one wants like a TA Torana or a late 80's Corona. The Toyota will probably not need any cutting to fit a trimatic in.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

If you're going to go down this path you may as well use the Toyota 4L V8. It will be a better engine than the Rover 3.5L, both in performance, weight and build. I've seen a 253 in a Gemini and it would've handled like a pig with all that weight over the front cross member (that car ended up at Elizabeth UPI with a nice defect notice stuck to the windscreen)
75ANT wrote:if tunnel needs mods doubt ill go ahead with it..cars in killa condition, was sitting in this old ladies garage for 20 years..see what happens anyway
If you're going to cut up a car, make sure it's not a mintie like this - there's already a shortage of good clean old schoolers...
A112H wrote:Either way you will need to chop the trans tunnel in a Galant.
Seems a waste of a perfectly good car IMHO, go and find something no one wants like a TA Torana or a late 80's Corona. The Toyota will probably not need any cutting to fit a trimatic in.
Go for an automatic scorpion. They came from the factory with an enormous T904 transmission and will make it easier to do this type of conversion with minimal work.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fulham/c ... 1003556442
(if I had the cash this is an awesome find. Cheap, complete and tons of potential either as a resto or a modifed project)
BIG26L

Post by BIG26L »

Lexus 4lt V8 with a toyota 5 speed on the back of it.............

Regardless, you'll have to convert the steering to a rack and pinion set up, as you'll never get the headers past the steeering box.
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Don't chop up that car. And you could turbo any number of 4cyl motors that will net you the same output with nowhere near as much fabrication.

But if you must have a V8, make it one of these

Hartley Enterprises H1 based on two standard Hyabusa heads, pistons and rods in a custom block. :grin:

http://www.h1v8.com
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
ddt

Post by ddt »

Just a weekend cruiser, maybe a few burnouts at shows, just something different i have the running gear sitting in my old SS..so its an option. Turbo motors are quite common being a small car wanted something different.
IMHO old galants aren't so common that you need a 5L V8 conversion to be different. But you have a 5L V8 sitting there so i can see where you're coming from..
Tj. wrote:Hartley Enterprises H1 based on two standard Hyabusa heads, pistons and rods in a custom block.
That ...is waaay cool!
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
75ANT

Post by 75ANT »

yeh not sure when this conversion will happen but i still would like to do a V8 conversion. A guy i work with also has an FJ20 so i have quite a few options
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

I'd love to mid mount a Harley Davidson V-rod engine (and it's 6speed gearbox) in a Fibrglassed Mini..........power-to-weight ratio of that would just be mind blowing.....and it would sound tuff as to boot!!!!!

Maybe if you had something like a 80's model Colt.....you could do something similar......keeping it front wheel drive :P
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

hey mate, youtube TUFFANT. its a blue gc galant with a 308 in her. its a burnout car and he's won a few comps to. pretty cool
N/A ALL THE WAY