Rockers hitting under the valve cover

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
SIGMA302

Rockers hitting under the valve cover

Post by SIGMA302 »

Hi all, I have an annoying problem. I bought a 2.6 GJ sigma that was a grannies car with a long term plan of putting in a clevo in it. Before I do all that, I will be driving it for a while, so I thought I'd give her a tune. It had a slight rattle that I thought I could cure with some adjustment, so I set the rockers. It wouldnt start and had no compression at all once I was done, but the compression is good when the cover is off. It turns out that I have to run the rocker cover bolts very loose or the rockers hit under the cover and the intake valves are pushed open. As you can imagine, there is oil leaking out under the cover. I think it may have a 2.0 cover on it, is there any difference? Any suggestions otherwise?
Lots of cubes and no weight, she'll be right mate!
ISKA8

Re: Rockers hitting under the valve cover

Post by ISKA8 »

hmmm im pretty sure,but dont hold me to it.that the 2,0 rocker is of course different? but in saying that i think also the astron 1 and astron 2 have different ones again?so if you could determain what series motor you have,would make it easier i think?? im sure other people with more knowledge than i do will help a hell of alot more?? good luck anyway buds :thumpsup:
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
SIGMA302

Post by SIGMA302 »

Not knowing too much about these, I'm guessing it's a series 1. It has adjustable rockers and the engine number is M53IP23067* I can post a shot if it helps.....
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

SIGMA302 wrote:I can post a shot if it helps.....
Might be good. especially of the intake manifold too.

Needless to say, you shouldn't get this happening under normal circumstances. astron 1 2lt & 2.6 use the same rocker cover. So I guess something silly like an astron 2 cover on an astron 1 head could cause something like this to happen?
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
SIGMA302

Post by SIGMA302 »

Just went out and tried to take shots in the dark, failed miserably. I'll do some when there's sun tomorrow. Anything in particular to focus on?
SIGMA302

Post by SIGMA302 »

Hope these work, I'm a photobucket virgin...[Image][/img][Image][/img]
ddt

Post by ddt »

that rocker cover is definitely from a 2L. Some early sigmas (~1978) which had a japanese-assembled 2.0L engine had Astron 80 on the rocker cover. The locally assembled ones just had a sticker that said astron 2000 (or 2600 when the 2.6L astron was released later). I can't ID the rest of the engine as being a 2.0 or 2.6L -though it looks like a series I astron engine to me. Anyone?
Perhaps one of those bolts on top of the rocker-cover has been replaced with a longer one that fouls against the rockers underneath?
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Sure it's not off an Astron 1850? Sigmas first came out with these engines and were dropped for the 2L's.
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

out a series 2 cover on it
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
A112H

Post by A112H »

astronturbo77 wrote:out a series 2 cover on it
:wut:
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

...meant put a series 2 cover on it. :roll:
SIGMA302

Post by SIGMA302 »

ddt wrote:that rocker cover is definitely from a 2L. Some early sigmas (~1978) which had a japanese-assembled 2.0L engine had Astron 80 on the rocker cover. The locally assembled ones just had a sticker that said astron 2000 (or 2600 when the 2.6L astron was released later). I can't ID the rest of the engine as being a 2.0 or 2.6L -though it looks like a series I astron engine to me. Anyone?
Perhaps one of those bolts on top of the rocker-cover has been replaced with a longer one that fouls against the rockers underneath?
I ran the engine number and it comes up as a 2.6 from 1983 which fits with the year of the car. The rockers are definately hitting, because there are a series of little dents the same shape as the rocker tops under the intake side. When I tighten the rocker cover right down, I get no compression on the tester for each cylinder. I posted some shots of my wagon on the random sigma photos section, page 4. Tell me what you think.....
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Looks like you're grabbing a cover off a 2.6 ( may only be 5mm difference in height between them- but I've never heard of this problem before, another possibility is the rockers have been replaced and the adjusters are longer...)
SIGMA302

Post by SIGMA302 »

Yep, reckon you're right. I'll let you know what I get up to, thanks for the input guys.