Intake question

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
81pw

Intake question

Post by 81pw »

Just wondering does anyone have short intake runners on there engines? I'm looking at moding mine to short and fat intake runners but is it really worth it?
rob020

Re: Intake question

Post by rob020 »

my efi manifold is made from a tr manifold, which has the longest runners.. but theyve been cut down nearly in half.. i also cut the runners at a 45 degree angle so the cross section of the openings to the plenum is larger than the cross section of the runners, only because trumpets are expensive and i wanted to maximise flow

are you thinking carby or efi manifold?

cheers,
rob
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out
rob020

Post by rob020 »

also you can only make the runners so much bigger than the valves before it achieves nothing
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
81pw

Post by 81pw »

I was thinking really short runners about 1-2 inch long, like this pic http://www.google.com.au/m/search?site= ... unners#i=3
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

81pw wrote:I'm looking at moding mine to short and fat intake runners but is it really worth it?
Long runners will give you more torque down low. Short runners are usually used for forced induction or VERY high revving engines.

The theory is air has mass and if you move enough of it (long runners),
you will create a higher pressure behind the valves, which will increase the amount of air that will enter the cylinder.
This will of course increase power.

"Tuning" the runner length just increases the pressure at a fairly specific rpm. Some modern engines have 2 different runner lengths to improve power in multiple rpm ranges.

It all comes down to what you are trying to achieve and how much money you are wanting to throw at it.

Cheers.
81pw

Post by 81pw »

Not to worried about the money cos I'll do the cutting and welding. I'm looking at pushing though about 16pound. I haven't seen it done to a sigma before. Am I just wasting my time trying to get 1-2 kw or will it be a decent gain like 10+ kw. Thanks for your feed back.
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

For a boosted application, you would probably get better gains from cooling the air (possibly water injection) before the turbo and an inter-cooler after the turbo, rather than playing with the runner length.

Again, in theory, a shorter runner in a boosted application means that the turbo doesn't have to fill up as larger volume to achieve the same pressure.
In practice, it wouldn't make all that much difference.

Cheers.
rob020

Post by rob020 »

im playing with water injection at the moment.. having water injected before the turbo and running an intercooler would make all the water pool in the intercooler wouldnt it?