What size exhaust for 2.6 na

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
81pw

What size exhaust for 2.6 na

Post by 81pw »

Just wondering what size exhaust should I do for a mate 2.6 na. 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 For best performance?
ISKA8

Re: What size exhaust for 2.6 na

Post by ISKA8 »

hmm i dont know whats the best for a 2.6 but i had a 2 1/2 on my sig with genie headers,worked out good..even when i turbo charged it,i made a dumpie and left it the same with good results..not losing any power.good size i reckon
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

I am with ISKA8..2.5 inch all the way :thumpsup:
1972 GA GALANT/COLT, with a VR4 4G63T 151kw atw :-)
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

depends what you want to tune it for....hp or torque.
I had a mate who had 2.5" from extractors through the mufflers and then had 2" after the rear muffler over the diff, this gave him more power.
Best way to get most power is for tuned length exhaust...but that is mega $$$ and not worth it for most people.

Cheers Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
81pw

Post by 81pw »

Cheers boys I'll go with the 2 1/2 all the way through
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

I originally went for a set of OTS Lukey extractors (4-2-1) fitted to a 2 1/4 system.......had a great note...but i went crazy with being unique so i sliced off the last section of the extractors and kept it as a 4-2 setup.....with a 2" pipe running down either side of the car, then bolting on a pair of twin 3" chrome dump tip on either side!!!

From the back of the car it looked a bit radical.....coz i had (well still have) 235/60/R15 wrapped around the pepperpots, a Ford 9" diff sitting in the centre and a pair of twin 3" chrome tips poking on eithe side of the car......in terms of gaining HP....probably didn't really do a greaat job since a lost alot of back pressure with the new system.....but since the motor was dieing and i wasnt interested in going fast....i didnt care about gaining an extra 3 HP from a "racing" exhaust system....

If your on a tighter budget (like me)...i found using mild steel (as opposed to stainless steel) and have the exaust system press bent instead of mandrel. That's what i'm doing for the next car..and for the extractors (for a street car i mean), I found a better Bang for your Buck in using OTS headers coated in heat treated header paint (and in my case) as well as wrapping the headers in black "header wrap" (again, as opposed to stainless steel or "racing" headers).......Like i said, this is just from personal experience, but i found that you won't "MAKE" as much HP as against to a far more expensive and more sofisticated system.....but you will "RETAIN" or "LOSE LESS" HP through things like heat soak in the engine bay......plus..depending on your engine bay...the black wrap may give the engine a bit more of an agrressive look (my entire engine will be painted in wrinkle finish black.....much the rocker covers on the turbo sigmas).
Built with pride, Driven in anger
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

That sounds kinda like one of my old Scorps. Had a set of old 4-2-1 extractors, and I wanted a sports exhaust. I couldn't afford one, but did have a few old standard systems. The extractors went into a short section on 2 1/4" that I then split back into 2 which were the the standard 1 3/4". Had one of theses going out each side with some chrome tips to make it look 'good'. Was as loud as hell as it was basically a straight though exhaust about 3 feet long. Best part was downshifting and making it shoot flames out both sides of the car!!! Had a set of 225 or 235 (can't remember) on the back with gold meshies, and 185's on the front.

Added to this the front had a massive spoiler, and was lowered a heap, while the rear end was basically standard height, and was yellow with heaps of patches. It soon ended up being nicknamed "The Bulldozer" by the guys at work. :$
webby

Post by webby »

Basic rule of thumb:
<1.5L NA: 1.75"
1.6-2.0L NA: 2"
2.0-2.5L NA: 2.25"
>2.5L NA: 2.5"
Turbo: 3"
This is what I've been told anyway.

I got the best results from the L24E in my old R30 Skyline with a set of equal-length 6-2-1 extractors, 2.5" with a single Lukey muffler back to a 2.25" under-diff tailpipe. Was loud as hell, but it sounded freaking awesome and made just over 150rwhp, as compared to 144rwhp with a full 2.5" system.
It had a stage 3 cam, ported head and L28ET valves, Megasquirt II ECU and 20v 4AGE throttles as well.
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

if its any help we did a few dyno runs some time back about 9 years ago ( and dont ask me for the sheets who knows where they are now )
for my 2.6 I made my own headers with mandrel bends and tig welded them up using 1 3/4 tube and they where 4 into 1
I think the primary tube lenth was 29 " its a while back so the memory is failing a bit

however we did use a 2 1/2" system and one straight though turbo mufler after the diff
anything like a hotdog or mufler in front of the diff reduced power
at one stage we tried a short side pipe with a mufler closer to the engine , we found that the jetting had to be leaned as this set up made to much back presure - choking the engine and it also droped 9 Kw atw

so with all our testing the best power was made with the 2 1/2 system going from the headers and over the diff with out any restrition then fitting the mufler right near the end

I was going to make up a set of 4 into 1 headers using 1 7/8" tube but never got around to it

hope that is some help
cheater
cheater
mstrrab1992

Post by mstrrab1992 »

i think my 2.6astron in my lancer has a 3" all the way :| sounds weird
All Animals to the Crow: Your not a zoo animal!
Monkey to crow:your just jealous cause noone says "mummy mummy i want to see a crow!"
SIKMA

Post by SIKMA »

How do the headers on ebay for our sigmas fair? Anyone tried them out?

I might be buying another sigma soon so might be looking at getting an exhaust system made up. Ive already scored myself a Magnaflow stainless muffler on ebay but its a 3" one. Oh well lol, will just flare the pipe and weld it.
1992 Toyota Cressida Grande - 2jzgte + Garrett GT35r, BPU mods
1985 Mazda RX7 - 12A Rotary
1985 Nissan Bluebird TRX - CA20S
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

webby wrote:Basic rule of thumb:
<1.5L NA: 1.75"
1.6-2.0L NA: 2"
2.0-2.5L NA: 2.25"
>2.5L NA: 2.5"
Turbo: 3"
This is what I've been told anyway.

I got the best results from the L24E in my old R30 Skyline with a set of equal-length 6-2-1 extractors, 2.5" with a single Lukey muffler back to a 2.25" under-diff tailpipe. Was loud as hell, but it sounded freaking awesome and made just over 150rwhp, as compared to 144rwhp with a full 2.5" system.
It had a stage 3 cam, ported head and L28ET valves, Megasquirt II ECU and 20v 4AGE throttles as well.
sweet ima getting a 5" on my siggy now and a 8.5" on the transit van
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust