4G52 ignition timing

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
Speedy88

4G52 ignition timing

Post by Speedy88 »

Hi all,
Haynes says to adjust ignition timing to 3deg BTDC. As good as driving it day to day feels, it doesn't feel quite right at high revs when it's hot. I think this might be due to the timing being slightly off.

I'm using 95RON and to be honest its pretty low calorie supermarket stuff (shoot me). Am I right in thinking 3deg BTDC is correct for 95?

Thanks
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: 4G52 ignition timing

Post by Scorpma82 »

I'd go a lil more advanced to see if it makes a difference.....

But if its only ocurring whilst its hot.....maybe the fuel is vapourising before its ignited properly?????
or the air thats mixing isnt dense enough (too thin)
Built with pride, Driven in anger
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Out of curiosity - does your 4G52 have points or electronic ignition? And there are all sorts of things that can affect top end rpm - a weak coil will struggle to build decent spark when it's pushed. A coil will start to break down after 10 - 15 years service. If it's still running the factory oil filled coil I'd recommend turfing it for a new transformer type coil. Also I'd run some extra intake duct from the air filter out of the engine bay in search of a fresh air charge (the added length will also aid in building torque). Hot air is a HP killer...
MadMuz

Post by MadMuz »

If you want to advance the timing for the slower burning 95 octane, I advance timing to about 8 degrees (or til it starts idling way too high) and then put it in 4th and try to take off (handbrake on) and listen for pinging under load. If it pings, back off a degree at a time and do the load test again until it never pings even if you nearly stall it, and lastly, see that it doesn't run on when you turn the motor off....

If you don't trust your clutch to last doing this, just test drive it and see if it pings instead of hammering the clutch. Pinging either means poor fuel or too far advanced, basically you are giving it advanced timing just short of where pinging starts. If you get bad fuel when on the limit like this, don't be a tight ar5e and get decent fuel, or be prepared to back the timing down if you get a bad load.... pinging wrecks engines :blah: :blah:
Speedy88

Post by Speedy88 »

Forgot to say - thanks for the suggestions. The weather has cooled down a little recently so I've not been running into as many problems. But I'll try all suggestions above - thanks!
Shane

Post by Shane »

Hi guys, I am help the son out who does not have net access, he has 4w/d with 4G54,
is there a timing belt adjuster? and where is it locate?
Please.
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

Not a belt....it's a chain
Built with pride, Driven in anger