random problem when driving my galant

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
turbol200

random problem when driving my galant

Post by turbol200 »

iv got a gd wagon with a 4g32 chain, its all stock, dunno bout the carby as it is manual choke, i can be driving it and it will be goin all sweet then all of a sudden it will try to brake down then will come right, every now and again ya pull up then go to take off again and ya have no power it dosnt wana move but then comes right, its so random tho driving style dosnt seem to effect it nor does engine temp, its a pain in the neck lol any one elce had this problem at all

cheers damo
spoto a 57 chev

...a 57 2 door
GB_BB4C

Re: random problem when driving my galant

Post by GB_BB4C »

Check the fuel filter, probably full of crap and blocking up every now and then...
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

turbol200

Post by turbol200 »

its got a new fuel filter in in mate, im thinkn it may be a dizzy problem, my mate said the advance buggered up on one he had and done pretty much the same thing
spoto a 57 chev

...a 57 2 door
Decrepit

Post by Decrepit »

Don't forget to check the metal mesh filter at the carburetor fuel inlet. Had a similar problem years ago.
Could also be the condenser starting to fail. Had this happen also.

Randolph
1974 GC Galant Hardtop (restoration project - Slow)
1975 GC Galant Hardtop VR4Turbo (pulled out and changed back to a G32B - soon to be a G62BT)
1979 LC Lancer Hatch (50% mine) - Orange & Black - G32B (Son's daily)
turbol200

Post by turbol200 »

ok i dont know about this part, does it have a diffrent name at all ? some pics would be sweet as cheers for your help by the way every one
spoto a 57 chev

...a 57 2 door
Decrepit

Post by Decrepit »

i dont know about this part
There should be a very fine metal mesh filter in the fuel inlet at the carburettor. To get to it you need to remove the top of the carburettor and the float. The filter is under the needle and seat. The filter will collect very fine sediment that can pass through the normal fuel filter. When I had the problem, my car would stop on me regularly, I would clean the filter and it would run ok for a week or so than stop again. I eventually got tired of cleaning the filter and removed it completely.

The condenser is the small metal cylinder attached to the distributor. If this part is failing, the engine will stop and once it cools may start again and run ok for a while. Took me ages to find this problem on my car when it happened. My father had the same problem with his GC and the car was left to sit for 6 months till he listened to me and replaced the condenser.

Not saying that either of these issues are your problem - just giving possibilities that you may not have known about. :think:

Randolph
1974 GC Galant Hardtop (restoration project - Slow)
1975 GC Galant Hardtop VR4Turbo (pulled out and changed back to a G32B - soon to be a G62BT)
1979 LC Lancer Hatch (50% mine) - Orange & Black - G32B (Son's daily)
turbol200

Post by turbol200 »

Decrepit wrote:
i dont know about this part
There should be a very fine metal mesh filter in the fuel inlet at the carburettor. To get to it you need to remove the top of the carburettor and the float. The filter is under the needle and seat. The filter will collect very fine sediment that can pass through the normal fuel filter. When I had the problem, my car would stop on me regularly, I would clean the filter and it would run ok for a week or so than stop again. I eventually got tired of cleaning the filter and removed it completely.

The condenser is the small metal cylinder attached to the distributor. If this part is failing, the engine will stop and once it cools may start again and run ok for a while. Took me ages to find this problem on my car when it happened. My father had the same problem with his GC and the car was left to sit for 6 months till he listened to me and replaced the condenser.

Not saying that either of these issues are your problem - just giving possibilities that you may not have known about. :think:

Randolph
ok cheers for that mate, i changed the condencer as i had one, ill rip the top off the carby on the week end and cheek out the filter, and jets while im there, i might bolt another fuel pump on it to as it leaks, for all i know thats my problem haha
spoto a 57 chev

...a 57 2 door
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

turbol200 wrote:ok i dont know about this part, does it have a diffrent name at all ? some pics would be sweet as cheers for your help by the way every one
Part No.7

If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

^^^Well there you go. Never knew about this^^^ :-)
Anyways, Id also try blowing back down the fuel line (towards the tank, from the engine bay). Ive had crud randomly block my fuel line and this fixes it for a while (until you can clean the tank and line out properly)
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

If your car has the stock solex carb (and is running a mechanical fuel pump) there is a small glass "porthole" in the side of it (should be facing the front of the car from memory) If there's no fuel visible then you know you're starving for fuel somewhere along the line. Next time it conks out, hop out and have a quick look. Wont tell you where the problem is but it'll confirm that it is fuel related.

I had a similar problem when the coupe still had its original engine except that after you drove for a while and then parked, then tried to start it shortly after it wouldn't fire. I think it was caused by an ill fitting fuel hose coming from the tank. It the top side of the hose had bunched up when it was fitted and it was seeping air into the line (but wasn't leaking) it was enough that when the car stopped it'd siphon fuel back into the tank (or let air into the line which then travelled up to the float bowl in the carb.. same difference) After rebuilding the carb, changing multiple filters and even replacing the fuel pump it's the only cause I can think of.
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
turbol200

Post by turbol200 »

well last night i noticed my fuel pump wasnt sucking at the inlet, so i ripped it off and when i took the outlet hose off it was under presure, but the float bowl was near empty in the eye glass any ways, so i ripped the top off the carby to have a look and there was some shit in there, so i cleaned it all out with crc carby cleaner, cleaned the jets and acc pump out, put a bigger primary jet in from another galant carby, wasnt much in it, swaped the secondrys diaphram with another as it just seemed beter lol, got rid of that little mesh filter as it was buggered in a big way, and put a much beter looking needle and seat in it, got it all running again with the secondhand gaskits :$ it goes realy realy well now, got a smoth rev and power range now, BUT it wont idle with out the choke on a bit or ya hand over the carby, im thinking its now got an air leak, ( i know i should of glassed the carby surfaces and used new gaskits but its only got a go a bit over a month lol as iv got a complete rwd efi 2.6 to drop in, should be heaps beter, now can i use that lock tight gaskit goo shit, (that realy sticky shit that dosnt go hard) on the gaskits in the carby to fix my air leak for now ? :D
spoto a 57 chev

...a 57 2 door
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Is it still running the original rubber fuel lines under the bonnet (tank -> filter -> pump -> carb) ?

If so, replace them. I had trouble with my rally car randomly dying during an event a couple of years ago ..... due to fine cracks in the 30+ year old hoses sucking air into the system. They were invisible until you flexed the hoses, and didn't leak any fuel.

For the cost of a metre of fuel hose, some new hose clamps (the OEM ones are crap) and 30 mins work it's well worth doing. Rubber doesn't last for ever.

Replace the hose between the tank outlet & the steel underbody fuel line while you're at it.
turbol200

Post by turbol200 »

davetrees wrote:Is it still running the original rubber fuel lines under the bonnet (tank -> filter -> pump -> carb) ?

If so, replace them. I had trouble with my rally car randomly dying during an event a couple of years ago ..... due to fine cracks in the 30+ year old hoses sucking air into the system. They were invisible until you flexed the hoses, and didn't leak any fuel.

For the cost of a metre of fuel hose, some new hose clamps (the OEM ones are crap) and 30 mins work it's well worth doing. Rubber doesn't last for ever.

Replace the hose between the tank outlet & the steel underbody fuel line while you're at it.
i dont think it is but ill replace em any way ill get some from work, i noticed theres a bit of big shit in the filter its only done 2 weeks worth of work sorta thing, i might blow the fuel lines out to
spoto a 57 chev

...a 57 2 door
turbol200

Post by turbol200 »

bit of an update i cleaned the carby out , got rid of that mesh filter as it was buggerd, replaced the fuel pump with one i had, replaced the fuel filter 4 times (thanks work store room haha lol) as i kept geting big shit in it, cleaned the tank out, every now and again as ya are driving it will lose power and wont rev but if ya hit the clutch it will rev right out then go good again, it might do it 2 or 3 times then come good, but all is good as im gana fix the problem with efi and a turbo lol, gana bolt my cordia turbo donk into it, got every thing to do it but pullys for the front of it, iv gota sort ot the turbo oil and coolant lines, and make a plate to spin the thermostate housing where i want it, should be a bit beter that the 1600
spoto a 57 chev

...a 57 2 door