Disk Brake conversion.

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
turbol200

Re: Disk Brake conversion.

Post by turbol200 »

i am also intested in rear disc brakes, the thought of a l200 diff in a galant has crossed my mind as i have one and they are strong as
spoto a 57 chev

...a 57 2 door
A112H

Post by A112H »

The thing to remember when choosing a diff is that strength is far from everything. Gone are the days of the 80's where everything remotely tuned needed a 9", fact is that with any sort of tuning and street tyres you will have trouble with traction than anything and it you can't get traction there is nothing to twist up your axles or centre. Anything too big is overkill and adding un needed weight to your nice light car.
Of course if you are a complete twit and just side step the clutch at 5,000rpm at every set of lights you will break things but not as quickly in a Galant as you would in a stock A9X Torana for example. Anything like the Torry or old Falcons running 265 plus tyres will start to twist and break the driveline but if you are running 195's or 205's under a 1000kg Galant or Lancer a Scorpion diff will be more than strong enough. I only went for the EX diff because I wanted limited slip, otherwise I would be running a stock Scorpion set up. The LSD is what drove me towards a R31 as they are 4 stud and the centres are the same as XE-AU Falcons and VL Turbo and V8 Commodores so there are plenty of ratio options.

colt72jay,
You don't need to shorten the EX diff, they are only 30mm wider so unless you are right on the guards with your wheels they will be fine.
Remember this is under my A112H so the 16L might be a little narrower.

Once I have the brake lines fitted and the handbrake cable oporational I will take some good pics :)
colt72jay

Post by colt72jay »

thanks. would be looking forward for the pics. since your colt galant has a similar standard/oem rear suspension set-up as my 16L. that would make me understand easier how the modification goes basing on your car. thanks!!!!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

A112H wrote:Remember this is under my A112H so the 16L might be a little narrower.
Yes, the rear guard size on the 16L is much smaller then that of the Gen 2 sedans and 2 doors.
colt72jay wrote:since your colt galant has a similar standard/oem rear suspension set-up as my 16L. that would make me understand easier how the modification goes basing on your car.
The suspension is the same set up yes.

Do your measurements before you start to spend any money... :think:

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
colt72jay

Post by colt72jay »

75wagon - your right. homework first before the spending. :D looking forward for the pics
DRwho

Post by DRwho »

hey guys, 1st time poster..

I have just bought a 1976 gd galant 3spd auto with a 1600 under the hood.. I have the chance to strip some mechanicals from a mitsubishi scorpion from diff to front disc's.
My concern is will the scorpion front rotors and brakes fit my galant. and will the scorpion brakebooster fit aswell thanks.
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

Hi drwho, that would depend on the model of the scorpion
DRwho

Post by DRwho »

cheers.. i think its a 1984 its got a spring rear end. i will know more about the scorpion tomorrow when i actually go a see it.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

If you took the whole strut assembly with the brakes you could swap the lot in but it'll raise the front end a bit. "Green" struts as they're commonly referred to are the type most sought after for modding and are fitted to early sigmas and scorpions.
DRwho

Post by DRwho »

AHH ok cool.. well they are the green struts with king springs on them. but i guess i will still have to get lowered springs, i will soon see when i fit them tomorrow.. hahahahahaha just hope its not 4x4 height.
DRwho

Post by DRwho »

Ummm another silly question.. what about a vacum brake booster off the scorpion. will that be ok to fit if i modify the holes to bolt it in? the booster has 4 bolts that tighten up from the inside
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

i wouldnt do it

ull only end up drilling more holes in the booster and thats about it

it wont work/operate/function in any way/shape/form
Built with pride, Driven in anger
DRwho

Post by DRwho »

excellent.. Thanks for the heads up saves me stuffing around with it to find out it wont work properly. :)
DRwho

Post by DRwho »

hahahaha ok as for upgrading the front struts.. i have recently upgraded mine from a 1980 mitsubishi scorpion it had lowered king springs installed already, so it dint raise the car at all, it kept it at the original height.

But i would like to know if the diff will fit if i modify the scorpion diff to fit my leaf gd galant setup?
Has anybody done this?

And yes as for brake booster scorpion booster are to big..lol. :D
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

should be fine i would have thought, i have been thinking of doin the same thing
4GB63t