Are galant sedan and coupe leafs compatable?

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
kenvv

Are galant sedan and coupe leafs compatable?

Post by kenvv »

as title states, im wondering if GC sedan and coupe rear leafs compatable and if so are there any differences with spring strengths etc similar to the wagons?
vrooooom vrooooom!!
geezer101

Re: Are galant sedan and coupe leafs compatable?

Post by geezer101 »

Howdy kenvv, I'd bet they are interchangeable. I did use GD wagon springs in an LB hatch and had no issues with bushes or swing shackle locations. I did however have to grind off the locating discs on the lancer diff to mount them up and also use all the related mounting hardware.
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

no worries, cheers mate. still going to head down to that place on port rd and ask them some questions sometime next week too. cant wait to stop riding bump stops
vrooooom vrooooom!!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I don't know about actual spring rates, but Galant sedans, Hardtops (coupes), Lancer Hatches and Lancer sedans all run 2 rear leaves. I can't see any reason why they would be a different weighted spring?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
mrgrims

Post by mrgrims »

Well I now hear GB sedan rear leafs in my GC Coupe and it sits and rides really well
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

I found when I went to put wagon 5 leafs in the coupe they were wider than the 2 leafs that came out, and fouled on the shock mount. I later found a set of three leaf springs but can't for the life of me remember where :roll:
They do fit but they sat the car up too high and were too hard so I went back to the 2 leafs. The 5s would.have been waaay too high and stiff for me too.
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I was told by a bloke who rallies a GB (he's not on the forum) that the best rear spring set up is get 2 sets of standard springs, pull them apart and make 1 3 leaf set.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

My dad added half a leaf but think he turned the half leaf upside down and fitted for memory 2 inch lowering blocks.
When I did a motokhana on a wet skid pan a couple of months ago, the car would not axle tramp which I was quite impressed with. I can't remember for sure what shocks are in the rear but pritty sure they are De Carbons.
1976 Galant Hardtop
Rallyant
Location: Ringwood, Melbourne, (Newport Syd atm) & Seychelles

Post by Rallyant »

4 and 2 door are the same.
I ran wagon springs with a couple of leafs removed and reset to the ride height i wanted (better side to side rigidity with the wide leafs) But like TJ said, the shocks will dont fit, So I just used the spring plate from the wagon so the shocks would fit (from memory)
I have also tried adding an extra half leaf and full leaf etc to the std pack. I like my 3 pack wagon set best. I also have a 4 pack custom set with reverse Eyes in one of my coupes, was done by pedders when the last owner had the car, this is also pretty good. the 2 pack is probably best for rally,(long travel softer setup) but not as good for rd performance. nice for rd comfort tho.
I did hear they had 3 leafs in the jap cars, the 2 packs were an Australian thing. Can anyone confirm that?
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

I did hear they had 3 leafs in the jap cars, the 2 packs were an Australian thing. Can anyone confirm that?

Dodge Colts are 3 not sure any Galants had more than 2 , GTO MR had 4 dunno about lesser GTO's. You need more than 2 for rally or youll be on your bump stops all night.
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Rallyant wrote: I like my 3 pack wagon set best
:thumpsup: Yup!! agree with that. couple months back I went back to 2 with a half leaf purely to get it to sit a bit lower & have been kicking my self for doing it ever since!!
Rallyant wrote:I also have a 4 pack custom set with reverse Eyes in one of my coupes, was done by pedders when the last owner had the car
Went and saw our local pedders shop here, they didn't want anything to do with altering leaves? guess it depends on the owner.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

When I was first looking at rear springs in the coupe I also went to my local Pedders to get them reset and they didn't want to do it as "they were old and likely to break in the machine"
If that's the truth then I can understand their hesitation, I mean I'd hate to think what sort of damage half a broken spring being fired across a busy workshop would do.

I'm pretty sure some places make new custom springs for trailers and utes and what not, I wonder if that's an avenue worth considering for those serious about setting up their rear end?

While I did go back to 2 leaf springs, they are a bit soft and with passengers in the back, It does bottom out a bit :$
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

If you can find a spring manufacturer in your area you can ask them if they can reset your leaf springs. Make enquiries here in Adelaide and the guys I spoke to were prepared to do it. Not enough to just put them in a press- they have to be re-tempered or they'll collapse back to their original height.
A112H

Post by A112H »

If I can find some wagon springs I will be taking them to be reset, I want the rear about 2 -2.5 inches lower and stiffer :)
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

The spring will be straightened out a fair way to accomodate a 2.5" drop. Lowering blocks, new shackles and taking out the bump stops will give the same result and work out cheaper.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Not really a fan of lowing blocks, they will make the spring 'S' under load. Might have to do some spring measuring to find something else suitable ;-)
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

I think the diff splines will explode before you distort wagon springs! They made a dramatic difference in my LB but did jack the rear end up...
toruhiwi

Post by toruhiwi »

Nath76LA wrote:My dad added half a leaf but think he turned the half leaf upside down and fitted for memory 2 inch lowering blocks.
When I did a motokhana on a wet skid pan a couple of months ago, the car would not axle tramp which I was quite impressed with. I can't remember for sure what shocks are in the rear but pritty sure they are De Carbons.

When I owned the hardtop, I shortened an additional sedan leaf (to give more rate in front of the axle than the behind) and added lowering blocks. These were either 1 1/2" or 2", I can't recall. The shocks are indeed deCarbon monotube which I found brand new on EBay a few years ago.

I found this setup worked quite well for a low budget.

In case you were unaware, deCarbon originally developed the monotube gas shock absorber ("damper", more correctly) in 1953.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Carbon

Bilstein, KYB etc bought the licencing rights off deCarbon.

I am now enjoying a 1986 Porsche 944......

Roger
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

Torana68 wrote:I did hear they had 3 leafs in the jap cars, the 2 packs were an Australian thing. Can anyone confirm that?

Dodge Colts are 3 not sure any Galants had more than 2 , GTO MR had 4 dunno about lesser GTO's. You need more than 2 for rally or youll be on your bump stops all night.
Maybe the colt sedans have 3, but my coupe definitely only has 2 leafs just like you guys.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

yep 3... the leafs are not the same thickness as here either, are your coupes imported or assembled there? (I forget whos car this is )

"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

All our cars were imported, none assembled in the US. Got right up under my car earlier today before i posted, don't have that bottom leaf on mine.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
A112H

Post by A112H »

All our hardtops were imported, sedans and wagons were assembled here, not sure if the panels were stamped here or not?
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

All our hardtops were imported, sedans and wagons were assembled here, not sure if the panels were stamped here or not?

panels suppiled in "kits" from Mits.