My GH project

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
psshhhht

My GH project

Post by psshhhht »

Hey Guys, rather than having various posts in different sections, I thought I should make a central post for my GH.
I will be uploading photos over time and as I do stuff..
For now, here are some photos of the rust and of my "new" alloys :D

I'm fairly happy :)
Last edited by psshhhht on Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: My GH project

Post by 81GL »

Yeah the interior is mint on that (worth the $200 alone really lol)

Hmm... the 8th or 9th pic down is a bit disturbing though. As said in another thread, good chance that rust has gone into the main chassis too :?
Unfortunately it's a trait of the earlier mitsu's :( (touch wood, I've been rather lucky :P )
Might want to be pulling those gaurds off ASAP & dealing with anything structual.

On a whole it looks pretty neat & straight though.

Nick.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

yeah looks like it's on the chassis, hopefully not really bad though.. gonna talk to the local Tafe's head of automotive department tomorrow though, and see if he can do anything for me... *crosses fingers*
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Did you get the right wheel niuts with the mags. They take a wheel nut that only came with those mags and the GSR Pepperpots. Also a special wheel brace. Dont know if you can fit any other type of wheel nut. Never tried :roll:

You will have to get new sections put on the front guards. probably save yourself a couple of dollars by taking the off yourself and taking them to a Panel Beater. Maybe you could also paint the new sections yourself. Spray painters want a couple of hundred dollars to get the gun dirty. The rear guards will test out your skills with fibre glass and body filler. Same around the windows. But the big issue is that no metter what you do, short of pulling out the windscreen and welding in new sections, the rust will come back. Sad but true :(
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

yeah I'll be doing my own painting and I'll attack that rear section myself. I'll also be taking out the windscreens and getting those bits of rust fixed with new metal. My old man has just told me that he's pretty sure that one of our next door neighbours used to be a welder by trade, so I'll have a chat with him tomorrow and see if he can help me out.. here's hoping! :)

Anyway, I'll just keep plodding away and getting things done as I can... there's no real time frame for this baby, it's not my daily driver.

However at the moment (and this is likely to change with time) the plan for the GH (apart from the obvious fix the rust) is...

Body:
de-badge
repaint the c-pillar vent thingies in satin black
paint body in two-tone BA Ford Falcon gray over darn gun metal gray with a lightning blue pinstripe dividing line.
Paint bumpers and grill satin black.
Also thinking possibly modding a GSR front spoiler to fit (or XE Spac spoiler) however not sure.

Interior:
(If for street)
paint dash white
small tacho (none of those 5" monster tacho things!)
Nardi or similar steering wheel
GTR or WRX or aftermarket seats retrimmed in lightning blue and white
new carpet (not sure what colour)
either lightning blue headliner or white headliner with blue High-Intensity LED lights along the spine.
customized rear bench, possibly changing to dedicated 2 seater.
Aftermarket "race" style pedals
Silver gear nob and handbrake lever.

Engine:
2.6L Astron engine conversion
efi head
Aftermarket ECU - unless a Delco can be programmed suitably (and seeing as they've been used on turbo'd Alfa GTV6s and turbo ED XR8s, I don't see why it wouldn't work on this...
mid size turbo (not sure what specific, depends on what's around when I'm looking)
VR4, GTR or aftermarket intercooler
Other the other bits'n'pieces...

Transmission:
5 speed Jap box conversion (or maybe later change to a Toyota Supra box or similar...?)
HD clutch
lightened flywheel

Suspension:
lowered
King Springs and Koni or Pedders shocks
Urethane bushes (or something like that lol)

Brakes:
DBA drilled rotors
VR4 calipers
Aftermarket pads

Wheels:
16" Watanabe style rims in black

(if for street) ICE:
JVC head unit
6" splits in front doors
6x9s in rear parcel shelf
2x10" subs and 1x15" sub
4x100wrms amp and Class D amp
blue neon lights for extra show

However like I've said any or all of it is likely to change as things progress and there is no specific completion date target.. just when it happens :)
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxS2HGbR_SE

already slightly outdated but not by much, all that's different is that I've now sanded and etch primed the bogged section of the driver's door, and removed the chrome trim from the rear window too... will start to strip the interior out next.
stealth

Post by stealth »

sorry to hijack ,but sigmaproject
i bought nuts for pepperpots just before christmas no probs
36$ and takes 13mm allen key thats was supplied not bad i thought
and thay had in stock in and out in 10minutes it was quite a shock
cheers stealth 8-)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

So where do we find said nuts and wrench??

Mine are a little rounded, probably because I use a 1/2" allen head socket, which is a tad small.
stealth

Post by stealth »

again sorry to hijack
man i got them from the local tyreworld
i will drop in and see if i can get you a part number or brand
will let you know
cheers stealth 8-)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

Just a few photos of the slow progress I'm making. I've run out of money so I'm doing all that I can for free, but I'm having to save up again before I can get the main rust areas fixed.. DOH!

karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

Your bog on the door might last 2 years.... You need to drop the door trim and clean all the tree leaves an compost down there thats blocking the drain holes, then maybe paint or fish oil the door at the bottom to ensure moisture cant sit in there.

If you dont have a mig either buy one or find someone who does, otherwise all your repairs are going to turn to shit in a few years or so an be worse than what they are now.
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

yeah, as you can see from the pics i'm in the process of stripping everything out. the door's fix is just a temp fix to halt the rusting while i save some money again
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

This is what i think of my H&HD class at school, LOL...

Ok, so it doesn't really give any better an idea of what I'm aiming for especially as the colours aren't accurate, but I dunno.. I was bored ok, and thought I would share anyway :roll:

for the colours, I want a this BA falcon grey/silver

For the bottom colour i want gunmetal grey like this R32, though possibly with a slightly darker tint to distinguish it better

and I want the colours devided by a lightening blue pinstripe

and the whole thing lowered on 16" watanabe style rims in black with a machined lip

Thinking about modifying a XE Falcon lip spoiler for the front bar too
And with a big chrome SG sticker on the rear screen, it should looks pretty nice :)
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Ummmmm, your not related to SpEc_OpS by any chance :?
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

who?

sorry, nope.

Anyway, after a bit of a sit down, and thinking more about the project, I've remembered what i originally wanted to do with this beasty, which is do it up for racing, so that's what I'm aiming for again.. once it's race prepped and I have money again (ie, next year when I'm working fulltime) I'll be looking for another GH and turning that one in the sweet street car i started dreaming up
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

some updated photos
Have since removed most of the interior, the front and rear windscreens, the boot rubber, the chrome wheels arch trims, the C-pillar plastic venty things, the bonnet and boot, and the drivers-side front guard. The windscreens were real buggers to get out, but have managed to do it, but as you'd expect, found that all the frames are rusted, some areas pretty badly.

rear window out...

some of the frames' rust

off came the bonnet/hood

taking out some of the interior (more removed since photos)

off came the guard

To reveal the rust
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

yeah it's got a fair bit, but I dunno, I think it could also be much worse. Ironically there's not rust in the rear wheel arches or the spare wheel well. I've never come across a car before that has rusted out front guards but clean spare wheel well.. oh well.. I'm not complaining :)
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

You have reached the point of no return. You cant just bog all of that rust, and to have new section made and welded in would cost a small fortune.

Unfortunately a lot of restorations get to this point and then never see the light of day.

Decisions ,decisions :roll:
camB

Post by camB »

Can you still get those repro guards? I bought a couple ages ago for about $80ea pre-primered. Made life easy.
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

the project aint stopping just cos of that orange crap... I already past up a sweet GE because of getting scared off by rust, I'm not letting the crap beat me again....

Besides, this is going to be a racer, not a streeter (although will be registered to make it easier to get to and from events) so will just do bits'n'pieces as I can...
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

someone stole my door (j/k)

after having sanding down the surface rust etch primed it

smoking more than ever hehe.. good thing I'm gonna replace the engine!
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

ront guard and door are off now - yep, lots more orange stuff... although doesn't appear to be as serious as the driver's side
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

The upside of all of this is that you are gaining skills and learning how vehicles are put together. Well old vehicles anyway ;)

Lots of young guys (or is it dudes :oops: ) these days wouldnt even know how to vulcanise there rocker spindles :shock:
Petersen

Post by Petersen »

hope you like working on cars. i know i do luckly as my GH also has bad rust, but only in the roof
- Petersen

1981 GH Sigma SE, 2L Auto, Moon Dust (Gold)
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

yeah, totally love it, it's the only thing keeping me from ditching school again. When I get totally mad with school or whatever, I just come and do something else with the GH and it's all good again lol... I can't wait until it's all done, it is going to be mad! :D
Petersen

Post by Petersen »

I feel the same. nothing quite like working on old cars. makes the day go bye
- Petersen

1981 GH Sigma SE, 2L Auto, Moon Dust (Gold)
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

while surfing ebay, I came across a Cherry Black Metallic MX5 and I am in love with that colour! Think I might just have to paint the GH that :mrgreen:
Lowmion

Post by Lowmion »

Fortunately mine was sprayed in fish oil but some forward thinking person, so no rust, there's still two gk/j's @ centre road wreckers (Springvale Melb) if you need parts.
Don't try to insure a 1984 Galant Turbo 2000 with RACV, they'll insist that it only came out with a super charger, and that the turbo is an illegal mod........
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

thanks, I do need a heap of parts, but unfortunately no money, not helped by my stupid sonata (daily) deciding it wanted some of my attention lol
SpEc_OpS

Post by SpEc_OpS »

Sigmaproject wrote:.
Ummmmm, your not related to SpEc_OpS by any chance :?
Arent we lucky to have a inhouse comedian here on sigma galant :x :evil: :!:

Instead of bagging other people out y dont u congratulate him on his effort hes obviously working very hard on this car and very determined btw i think that drawing u did was awesome man would love to see that thing on the streets.

Dont listen to ppl baggin out ur ideas your building the car for u not anyone else ive given up on this website quite simply because of the 1% of tools on here bagging out my ideas. Good luck with the car dont give up on it and dont buy a vs like u were asking about pour ur money into this thing get a ford laser as a daily there reliable cheap and easy.

And btw sigma project i will return when my cars built just to shut u up.
Drive It Like You Stole It

The Drifter = 99 VS Ute (Kaaz 2 way LSD + 3.8 v6 on boost :lol:)
The Old Drifter = 99 S15 Spec-R (GONE :()
The Project = 80 GH Scorp (shes getting there)
The Fourby = 92 4Runner (can climb yo mumma)
The Daily = 95 Camry (the gf gotta have a car too)
The Shitter = 89 Hiace (with ever panel customised)
The Untamed = 98 cbr 600 (nearly killed me twice but i still love her)