GK heater core

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
guska

GK heater core

Post by guska »

Hey guys, with the thermometer regularly sitting in the low end, I've been forced more and more often to be wearing gloves and a hoodie while driving. Does anyone in SA have, or know where I can find, a good condition second-hand heater core for my GK GSR? What other models will fit?

The one from my car was binned when the CA18DE conversion was originally done because it was more hole than heater, and it's never been replaced.

The other question, is where is it located? I assume it would be under the dash, pretty much where the pipe stubs are located in the engine bay, right? or is there more piping behind the dash?
woops

Re: GK heater core

Post by woops »

Getting the heater core out is an absolute bitch of a job. I would personally prefer to pull out an engine then a heater core. If i remember correctly you have to pull out most of the dash and centre colsole to remove the core from the car. I remember some pretty bad bolts to get out which are right near the top of the assembly. Basically keep removing parts of the dash until you can get clear access to all of the bolts.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
84GSR

Re: GK heater core

Post by 84GSR »

new ones turn up on ebay from time to time. No guarantees you'll find a good second hand one.