1984 GSR Sigma Project

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
MasterRyan1992

1984 GSR Sigma Project

Post by MasterRyan1992 »

Hey guys, i just joined today, and im starting a project 1984 GSR Sigma 2.6LTR Astron project, the body is ssweet and sound (Has sway bar etc but gonna get lowered springs for it later and has pepperholed mag's on it - NO RUST :D) And i was just wondering if anyone can help me out with a list of
MODS/INTERNAL or EXTERNAL for the engine, i know Exhaust and extractors, if anyone could help and list some mods for the 2.6 astron that i could do to make it go like a rocket, please supply a list of mods no matter how cheap or expensive they are, if anyone could help with a list and possibly a location to obtain the parts for the project, it would be an absoloute blast :D, and i wanna try to do all this without a turbo / supercharger etc, ive heard alotta talk of "EFI" conversions and was condsidering it but i dunno if EFI or CARBY would be better, which one i could get more GALLOP outta, so thanks for anyone willing to help D:

Theres are some pics of it
it hasnt been stripped down yet or anything, just starting
I need to source some parts, eg Cam shaft, The right EFI system with a 75mm throttle body or what anyone else can reccommend and the right ECU some bigger pistons (Dads boss has a boreing machine so can bore it out)
what ever else people can suggest to give it some more power, it has a blown diff in it atm but have about 3 sigma wrecks that have perfect diffs (All for spare parts but all rust buckets and some things wrong with them) just need any information anyone is willing to give, and yes WAGON75 i shall grab a hot cuppa, sit back and read 8-)
Last edited by MasterRyan1992 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ISKA8

Re: 1984 GSR Sigma Project

Post by ISKA8 »

MasterRyan1992 wrote:Hey guys, i just joined today, and im starting a project 1984 GSR Sigma 2.6LTR Astron project, the body is ssweet and sound (Has sway bar etc but gonna get lowered springs for it later and has pepperholed mag's on it - NO RUST :D) And i was just wondering if anyone can help me out with a list of
MODS/INTERNAL or EXTERNAL for the engine, i know Exhaust and extractors, if anyone could help and list some mods for the 2.6 astron that i could do to make it go like a rocket, please supply a list of mods no matter how cheap or expensive they are, if anyone could help with a list and possibly a location to obtain the parts for the project, it would be an absoloute blast :D, and i wanna try to do all this without a turbo / supercharger etc, ive heard alotta talk of "EFI" conversions and was condsidering it but i dunno if EFI or CARBY would be better, which one i could get more GALLOP outta, so thanks for anyone willing to help D:
hi there buds and welcome to the home of SIGMA-GALANT,if you have a look at alot the threads on here, im pretty sure you could obtain all you need from other members threads which inc pricing and anything you need..also try out the for sale threads,you could find alot of parts you after,but not all.remember your builing a sigma,so parts are't gonna be off the shelf sort of things..try shop around because there are alot of mods to do but not all of them quite cut when you spend more than what your power records show.hense why alot of people either go EFI,turbo or even both..try do alot of reasearch before you commit to anything.
you should start your own build thread aswell and put up some pics of your beauty for all to see..i can tell you1 thing though,out of experience these builds could be costly and not that effective unless you go another ebgine conversion or turbo..my opinion though!!
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
MasterRyan1992

Post by MasterRyan1992 »

Thanks ISKA8 for you're post :), yea i know its asking alot trying to pull big power outa a small engine with no turbo or EFI, well i was considering EFI but im just weighing up the pro's and con's of putting EFI in, eg Computer wiring - blah blah blah, can be alotta hassle compared to getting some adapter plates and bolting on a bigger carby, but thats why i joined here and am asking for advice, would i be able to pull more power with a bigger carb, or efi fuel injection? in the long run im talking, im sorta looking at trying to do the full works - its got extractors and a 2.1/4 exhaust on it already, maybe upgrade to a 2.5 later, thats all thats really done to it, lol, but i was looking at putting a bigger cam in it, port n polish, bore out and shave the head a little, making custom air flow system, or just a pod filter, possibly putting an electric fan inline with the air flow system (reason no turbo but fan is because this project is me and my dad im only 18 now and want the best i can get atm,when i turn 21 ill be throwin on a turbo) the body is pretty much perfect except for a few rust patches easy fixable and someone caved my front right hand guard its all cracked and needs replacing, and it pretty much looks identical to you'rs ISKA8, same color and all but probably different under the hood.
cheers
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

G'day MasterRyan1992.
How about some pics of your car?
My advice as far as doing up your car is work out a plan and stick to it, eg: don't spend money on bigger carb and stuff if you want to go EFI.
EFI would go better and get better fuel economy, but the down side is it's more complicated and parts cost more to replace if they fail. Plus the fact that it would have to be retro fitted into your car, and some of the parts require modification before they can be installed.
Grab a cup of coffee, a comfortable chair and use the search function. It may take reading through quite a few topics, but you will find the help and advice you are after, it's all here on this site.

Think twice spend once :thumpsup:

Dave...
(Topic moved to the correct section too.)
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
MasterRyan1992

Post by MasterRyan1992 »

Added some photo's for people to look at, not exactly the cleanest sigma out, it only really needs the front left guard tended to and then all will be well, thanks for moving to the right sections 75wagon, but if anyone has some qwiklinks to EFI systems or any helpful links anyone is willing to post up to help me on my adventure, quite happy to accept the help :) cheers.
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

75wagon wrote:Think twice spend once
good quote dave...i F@#kd up on that!
yeah buds both cars are the same,black is a hard colour to come by.i love them in that colour!
nice to see another black gsr on the forum,in the build. :thumpsup:
MY NEW TOY F6310
MasterRyan1992

Post by MasterRyan1992 »

:D in proccess of pulling front end off and LEFT side guard, its a freaking battle trying to undo nuts and bolts that are infused with rust :D! replace with stainless pl0x?, yet to change over the diff, hopefully do that tomorrow or next day, NOW! PEOPLE! i need a serious answer :) should i keep the ORIGINAL motor out of the GSR and hot it up? orrr should i get one from another gsr that i have laying around thats absolutely trashed but motor is sweet and sound, i suppose it doesnt really make a difference its not like im restoring it back to original, just trying to spice it up a bit :D ? and then keep the original one out of the gsr and just leave it in the shed?
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

MasterRyan1992 wrote::D in proccess of pulling front end off and LEFT side guard, its a freaking battle trying to undo nuts and bolts that are infused with rust :D! replace with stainless pl0x?, yet to change over the diff, hopefully do that tomorrow or next day, NOW! PEOPLE! i need a serious answer :) should i keep the ORIGINAL motor out of the GSR and hot it up? orrr should i get one from another gsr that i have laying around thats absolutely trashed but motor is sweet and sound, i suppose it doesnt really make a difference its not like im restoring it back to original, just trying to spice it up a bit :D ? and then keep the original one out of the gsr and just leave it in the shed?
it just depends if the number on the block,match the numbers on the tags??it might have been changed over the years.i dont think these cars with matching numbers and stuff will be worth anything later but who knows?? thats really up to you if you want to buy another motor ans keep drivin your beast untill its ready.. :\
as for my car i used the original motor even though it matches my tags but,like i said up to you. :thumpsup:
MY NEW TOY F6310
MasterRyan1992

Post by MasterRyan1992 »

dunno if they're same tags or not, i intend to keep this car for a very long time so not thinking bout selling it lol, i own a VT commodore atm, its had work done to the motor, but i was like MEH ITS AUTO!!, need manual, so now i got this Siggy, hmm but i just want it to be a rocket :D!
MasterRyan1992

Post by MasterRyan1992 »

Kinda just want it to keep up with or pass my VT commodore, people have been saying thats pretty easy and not so hard to do, i mean standard vt commodore not a hotted up one
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Can you drive a modded car on your P's?
There is always the Commodore V6 conversion? Power to weight always wins.
MasterRyan1992 wrote::D in proccess of pulling front end off and LEFT side guard, its a freaking battle trying to undo nuts and bolts that are infused with rust :D! replace with stainless pl0x?, yet to change over the diff, hopefully do that tomorrow or next day, NOW! PEOPLE! i need a serious answer :) should i keep the ORIGINAL motor out of the GSR and hot it up? orrr should i get one from another gsr that i have laying around thats absolutely trashed but motor is sweet and sound, i suppose it doesnt really make a difference its not like im restoring it back to original, just trying to spice it up a bit :D ? and then keep the original one out of the gsr and just leave it in the shed?
Are you planning on making it a collectors item? If the answer is no, then do it up how you want.
That being said, it's up to you how original you keep the car. I have kept all the original parts off my wagon (eg: steering wheel, single carb and aircleaner, front seats, wheels etc). If I ever sold it, they would go with the car, you never know someone might want to change it back (I don't know why they would? :think: ).

If you have a spare motor, maybe spend the money on getting that done up? Up the compression, fit a Magna head, EFI set-up, decent exhaust system and it should go alright (for the record I'm no expert on motors).
2.6 Magna's are cheap. Go buy one off Ebay and rape it for the good bits :thumpsup:

Dave...

Edit: here's your quicklink Ultimate topic Directory
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
MasterRyan1992

Post by MasterRyan1992 »

Well i havent heard you cant, i just know i cant have turbo or super charger :/ , i guess the v6 commy conversion, but thats to much mucking round, dont have the time nor money to get that done, just wanna beef up the 2.6 astron, see im not engine expert either, wondreing when it comes to shaving the head, bigger pistons cam shaft crank shafts lifters valves etc, i dunno if putting a magna head on would benefit me or keeping the 2.6 astron head and putting just the magna efi system on would, or what, i just know i wanna make it pull me back in the seat just a bit without turboing it, its a big ask from a small motor, but i know its been done, seen a few 2.6 astrons with no turbo absoulutely rape a vt commodore - run rings around it, and they claimed to not have spent much money on it, so yeah im not 100% sure ti's why im asking you's the experts Lol
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

MasterRyan1992 wrote:wondreing when it comes to shaving the head
Different 2.6 heads have different size combustion chambers and flow rates. You don't need to shave, just get the right one.

Dave...
MasterRyan1992

Post by MasterRyan1992 »

To much fiddling around trying i to find one of those, id rather just get the motor out of my other GSR and do it up and do what i please with it and know that ive done it my way how i want it
MasterRyan1992

Post by MasterRyan1992 »

OH! i know this isnt the right section, but does anyone know or have a GSR Front spoiler? mine got damaged DAMN YOU ARTHUR HOLLY COMPTON INVENTOR OF SPEED BUMPS!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

MasterRyan1992 wrote:id rather just get the motor out of my other GSR and do it up and do what i please with it and know that ive done it my way how i want it
If that's the case then, exactly what advice are you after?

Dave...
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

75wagon wrote:
MasterRyan1992 wrote:id rather just get the motor out of my other GSR and do it up and do what i please with it and know that ive done it my way how i want it
If that's the case then, exactly what advice are you after?

Dave...
take it easy dave,his a young newbie with good intentions.. :P :P :lol:
:\ :\ :\ :\ :\ :\ too many confusion... :banh: :P :P
he wants a list of how much parts are and what should be done to make a quick N/A...anyone have an aftermarket parts guide??if there is such a thing!
MY NEW TOY F6310
MasterRyan1992

Post by MasterRyan1992 »

i was just looking for advice how to make a quick little car, Lol, and just wanna do it right, hmm, and ive just hit a snag, wondering if i should keep going or not, theres a fair bit of rust when i took off the guards, dunno if its worth getting plated welded in it or not.
MasterRyan1992

Post by MasterRyan1992 »

this isnt all the rust in the car, the car has more underneath here and there
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

ISKA8 wrote:take it easy dave,his a young newbie with good intentions.. :P :P :lol:
Ha, I wasn't having a go, just asking a question.
MasterRyan1992 wrote:ive just hit a snag, wondering if i should keep going or not, theres a fair bit of rust when i took off the guards, dunno if its worth getting plated welded in it or not.
The best part about that rust is, it's hidden. So rust repairs don't have to be quite as pretty looking.
Fact is, old cars generally has rust unless you find an extraordinary example. That rust you have shown so far is nothing to be scared of, but what else is it hiding?

The question is, how much are you prepared to do to have an awesome street cruiser that upsets the Commodore set (when you get it hauling that is)? Don't forget, we're talking about a 26 year old car here.
Have a look at my car's thread 75wagon's 75 GC Wagon with twin carbs (pic heavy) just to see what sort of devotion and hard work you're in for.

Dave...
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

Fark bro,your in the shit there....man try speaking to a beater,see if its worth it or not!! :facepalm:
thats a bit of rust man.i reckon strip the ass end and also see if theres more rust.
then see if its worth it to fix or put it back together and either sell it or use it as a donar car?
MY NEW TOY F6310
MasterRyan1992

Post by MasterRyan1992 »

well im not really looking for "HOLY SHIT THAT THING LOOKS LIKE BRAND NEW NOW THATS A SHOW CAR!" more looking for, "pfft look at that shit car, oh wait, wait wait NO HE'S BEATING ME!" type car? Lol you get my drfit :P Sorta a sleeper, i dont really car about the body of the car, just the motor :D i could probably weld some plates up and do it myself, but i aint got myself a mig welder =\ well i do, but its ....broken.... lol i guess it was just a shock to me, i really not all that worried bout the body, just want the engine upped a bit, its not like im gonna keep looking under the guards everyday right? i just dunno how much other rusts in it =\
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

ISKA8 wrote:Fark bro,your in the shit there....man try speaking to a beater,see if its worth it or not!! :facepalm:
thats a bit of rust man.i reckon strip the ass end and also see if theres more rust.
then see if its worth it to fix or put it back together and either sell it or use it as a donar car?
I agree!! yeah man thats bad rust, positive side is that it all has to be functional! it does not have to look good!
1972 GA GALANT/COLT, with a VR4 4G63T 151kw atw :-)
MasterRyan1992

Post by MasterRyan1992 »

i suppose, my dad bought it from sydney about 3 years ago drove it for 2, then blew the diff, so instead of him putting a diff in it that he had laying around the yard, he left it sit for a year, i guess this is the result of a neglected car, he gave it to me as a project, as i said im 18 im not rich, just looking for the cheapest options out and cheapest way to making it go like a rocket, it was a nice smoothe ride when it was running, shame it had to be put in the paddock for a year, im also trying to source a GSR front spoiler, probably be hard, but yeah, im still weighing up weather or not i should patch the rust up and etc, i mean the bodys straight and all except for front left hand guard, so yeah, i wanna hot up the motor so its a little rocket, but is it worth it if theres that much rust??
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Love seeing some enthusiasm in a new member; especially at that age when its all fun :thumpsup:

...but seeing that kind of rust in a structural part of a car kind of makes me cringe.
Fixable? yeah, everything is fixable, but paying someone to repair that "properly" would blow out.

Maybe look around for a neat GK, should be able to pick a base model up easily enough & transfer over all the "GSR" bits.

Good luck with it either way.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
TVM006

Post by TVM006 »

Welcome!

Im also 18 and have a GSR :thumpsup:

How much are you willing to spend?

astron 1 2 liter head
flat top magna pistons ( astron 2 pistons )
delete the balance shafts
and the XF carby
cam

Anything else and itll start to cost money
;-)
TVMDouble0h!Sixx

1985 GK GSR
TVM006

Post by TVM006 »

or

astron 2 block decked to suit:
2 liter crank
m6 head 2.4 mm shaved and port matched
astron 2 magna flatop pistons
balance shaft deleted and botom end balanced
with tr injection
mazda rx7 sereis 5 injectors
and a microtech ecu or megasquirt
TVMDouble0h!Sixx

1985 GK GSR
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

the rust in my gj was a way worse than what you have on yours that's visible so far. if your patient enough to repair it your self then you can save some big bucks but if there isn't anything structural then its repairable. put it this way. if that was my gsr id say its worth repairing.

M.B :thumpsup:
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

75wagon wrote:Ha, I wasn't having a go, just asking a question.
nah its all good dave i know.i was pissin in your pocket! :P :lol:
MY NEW TOY F6310
MasterRyan1992

Post by MasterRyan1992 »

ISKA8 wrote:
75wagon wrote:Ha, I wasn't having a go, just asking a question.
nah its all good dave i know.i was pissin in your pocket! :P :lol:
Pissing in his pocket? Hmm id like to see that, Joking
Lol, But Thanks guys for the advice, ive kinda decided to say "hey what the heck lets do this" i can probably get my uncle to help me he works a metal fabrication place, the only problem i really have is i dont have a mig >_> if i had a mig welder it'd be not a problem..
84GKSIG wrote:the rust in my gj was a way worse than what you have on yours that's visible so far. if your patient enough to repair it your self then you can save some big bucks but if there isn't anything structural then its repairable. put it this way. if that was my gsr id say its worth repairing.

M.B :thumpsup:
Cheers for the advice, I suppose, its a gsr, then its gotta have some meaning to it then, everything else checks out okay in it =\
TVM006 wrote:Welcome!

Im also 18 and have a GSR :thumpsup:

How much are you willing to spend?

astron 1 2 liter head
flat top magna pistons ( astron 2 pistons )
delete the balance shafts
and the XF carby
cam

Anything else and itll start to cost money
;-)
Well thats the things, not much really, but im looking at selling my commodore for around 3.5-4 grand, and have a few bucks tucked away, and thanks for the more detailed list of parts :P Lol, if its a 2.6 litre, why should i put a 2 litre head on it?? my dad works in the nrma, so small things like pulling the engine down boring it, shaving it, remove balance shafts, etc, i can get for a killer low price, and i was thinking more carby at the moment (Just because i like the reliability :D ) something like those twin webbers you have ;) Lol, but yeah as i said, im young ,and dont know all that much about em, what to do, what to get,and how to go about it.

cheers, master