electric wires on an auto

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
13bsigma

electric wires on an auto

Post by 13bsigma »

hi guys. does anyone know what the electric wires are going to a plug on the automatic gearbox in a GE sigma??they obviously dont go into the manual, so i'm thinking of removing them as they have a plug just on the back of the fire wall and i can remove them from there. .
1978 GE sigma 57,000kms the toy called silvia. comming to the Gold Coast soon.
1978 GE sigma 87,000kms spare parts for the toy
1996 suzuki baleno turbo. $32,000 invested in it. $22,000 in the engine. $10,000 in sound
1996 suzuki baleno GTX. getting shaved and resprayed soon and receiving turbo engine
1980 GH sigma AKA JET.51G 18 PSI of T04 injected power.
A112H

Re: electric wires on an auto

Post by A112H »

They are for the neutral safety switch, so you can't accidently start your auto in drive or reverse. You don't need them for a manual conversion, cut it off and tape up the end.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

The reverse lights on most cars go to the shifter (I don't know specifically about the GE Sigma, but I assume it's the same).
The wires for the reverse lights that go to the shifter are the wires you need to join up to the reverse light switch on your gearbox if you want them to work as they should.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
A112H

Post by A112H »

True, could also be for reverse. I think the reverse switch is at the back of the box and the neutral switch is near the middle
woops

Post by woops »

I don't know how similiar the GE is the GN in this respect but the only differences in the electrical system was for the instrument cluster where it indicates which gear you are in, the gear selector switch and the reverse switch.

What I did to change from auto to manual was unplug the selector switch for the auto loom and replaced it with a manual one. All the manual one was a plug with one wire going from one pin to another on a 6 pin plug. I also removed the reverse switch and cable from a manual vehicle and plugged it into the auto wiring loom. The empty plug was there and everything ready to go at the back of the firewall in the same part of the loom that the wiper motor is located. I also replaced the instrument cluster to remove the part where the lights were but i think that is a GN cluster thing though. I don't know where the lights are on the GE models but you could just remove the bulbs if they stay on.

Hopefully mitsubishi kept the same loom for the auto's and manuals for the GE models otherwise you will have to go about wiring the gearbox reverse switch into where the selector switch is to have rear reverse lights. Shouldn't be much of a problem as i think the gearbox reverse switch is normally open unless it's in the reverse gear.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

assuming the auto box you removed was a borgwarner with a 4 pin inhibitor switch

look at the plug end that went to the switch it should be rectangle with a raised step on one side
the two connectors on the stepped side are the start circuit, these need to be bridged/joined
the other two are reverse and can be connected the the manual reverse switch in any way
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

ok, well i'm pretty drunk know. . not much of a life hey hahaha. checking facebook and sigma galant at 2:34 AM hahha

i now have a sigma GE SE i picked up today for $500. a jap box manual one with jap diff and 106,000kms with lots of options including aircon :D , so can cross reference stuff to that. i know that in GJ scorpions there is a 2 wire thing to earth on the chassi that is to do with the reverse switch. in my GJ i removed the springs and had some fun 2 inches off the ground and fish tailed round a corner and a low centre of gravity sent me accidently grinding over a median strip sparking everywhere apparnetly and riped the wires out and the reverse wouldn't work .. . those wires aren't there in the auto GE i have, so muby something to do with those wires. .

the manual gearbox is in now and i will be finnishing the tail shaft and and extras on monday and see if the reverse switch works. .

will let you know how it goes the :) thanks guys :)
1978 GE sigma 57,000kms the toy called silvia. comming to the Gold Coast soon.
1978 GE sigma 87,000kms spare parts for the toy
1996 suzuki baleno turbo. $32,000 invested in it. $22,000 in the engine. $10,000 in sound
1996 suzuki baleno GTX. getting shaved and resprayed soon and receiving turbo engine
1980 GH sigma AKA JET.51G 18 PSI of T04 injected power.