84 super saloon

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
Rossotoon

84 super saloon

Post by Rossotoon »

HI,
I have just received possession of an 84 super saloon which is immaculate, the classic little old man only drove it on Sunday, kind of car with 114000kms! But the auto box shudders into second under load quite badly, I have taken the car to a transmission shop were they told me it was going to cost a bundle. Rather than replacing it with another auto, i would like to convert it to a manual. Could you please give me any information on what is involved with a conversion and where parts can be sourced.
Cheers
JJPotter

Re: 84 super saloon

Post by JJPotter »

I did an auto to manual conversion on a GE a few years back and was planning on doing the same on the GK I have now until I bought another manual GK. To do the conversion you will need the following ingredients IIRC:

- Gearbox - since you are converting from auto your engine will (more than likely) be a narrow block, so you will need a gear box out of a 2 Litre as the 2.6 manuals are wide block and the bell housing won't line up.
- Flywheel
- Clutch assembly
- Clutch cable
- Crossmember (bar that holds the gearbox under the car)
- Tailshaft
- Pedal box
- Gear shift lever + boots (there should be 2 IIRC)
- Centre console piece (plastic bit where the gear stick comes through the floor)

A few things you will need to consider:

- The safety switch for the auto needs to be safely secured (and left in P or N so the car will start) or somehow removed
- Not sure if the tailshafts for a sedan are different to those in the wagons (may be a length thing, not sure)
- Not exactly sure of the legal ramifications (i.e. whether or not it needs to be engineered or not, if I was the law I wouldn't see a problem as it's just out of another car, but I'm not :( )
- I'm pretty sure the reverse wire and speedo cable are the same (although it has been a while I can't exactly remember).
- The previous point reminds me- not sure if the speedo will be accurate once the conversion is done (you could also use the speedo console out of a manual if you wanted, not sure about the wiring though).
- My experience taking the pedal box out of the GE involve me sitting upside down in the drivers seat whilst unscrewing it from underneath the dash.

You can source these things off eBay or a wrecker that has Sigmas in stock. Alternatively you could buy a GK 2L manual with, say, a dead engine, or lots of panel damage and scrap it for parts. If you change your mind about having an auto, I have a 2.6L GK Super Saloon auto sedan which I plan on scrapping over the coming weeks (when I get time). PM me if you're interested.

Incidentally, have you checked the oil level in the current auto?
Rossotoon

Post by Rossotoon »

Thanks jj,
I am undecided on which way to go. What condition is your auto box in and how much would you want for it.?
cheers.
Rosso
JJPotter

Post by JJPotter »

Since it's still in the car I'll accept a case of beer (pure blonde) and some help getting it out of the car (although I won't have a chance to do it this weekend, but next weekend (Anzac long weekend) would be ok).

Due to the condition of the front end I've only had a chance to drive it around the block at low(ish) speeds (i.e. 50km/h), but it seems to be in good working order. I'll need to put one of my carbies back on the car then you can take it for a test drive before we pull it apart.

Cheers,

Jonathan
Rossotoon

Post by Rossotoon »

Thanks JJ.
Its the right price!! but we're in Dubbo and wont be down that way for some while.
Also I still dont know if I'll go manual or not.?

The old hotrodder in me wants to fit a v6, maybe???!!!
Thanks again
Rosso
JJPotter

Post by JJPotter »

That's cool, it'll probably still be here in one of the sheds by then. Let me know if u still want it next time u come down.
duanepurcell1

Post by duanepurcell1 »

if you lived in adeliade i would give you a box for free took it out of the 84 siggy yesterday only took it out cause i changed it to a 5 speed is in good workin order
duanepurcell1

Post by duanepurcell1 »

the only thing that will slow you down on putin a manual in it is the gearbox cross members needs to be modified to suit i made my own
duanepurcell1

Post by duanepurcell1 »

the tail shafts are different from auto to manual its the leght of it and you use the same instrument cluster change the speedo cable to manual as the autos are different you need manaul pedals brake and clutch are one if you need to know more let me know i have done two differnet sigma conversions in the last 5months one on a gj 83 and the other is 84 gn both sedans