E10

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
Sigmaproject

E10

Post by Sigmaproject »

After reading that one tank of E10 every second fill wont hurt anything. and the fuel gauge near empty ,I finally put some in the wagon.

With 98 around $1.50 and E10 20 cents a litre cheaper, looked like a fair deal to me. Anyway the first couple of K's were just pottering to get the E10 through the system. Then I gave it a squirt, Detination :o Backed the timing off a couple of degree, still detination :roll: And it starts at 10 lb , where 98 doesnt detinate at15lb and another 4 degrees of advance. :roll:

Isnt this stuff suppose to be 95 octane :roll: Got it from one of those Burma servo's, maybe they mix their own :?

With such a small amount of Ethanol, the air/ fuel ratio hardly budged. Anyway it should give the fuel system a bit of a clean ,if nothing else :roll:
amgis_obrut

Re: E10

Post by amgis_obrut »

isnt all fuel in NSW a 5% ethanol blend

i have a few drums of Shell Racing Fuel 100 that i want to try in the S-T
Last edited by amgis_obrut on Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

No, that would be E5 ;)
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

Sigmaproject wrote:No, that would be E5 ;)

i remember reading a document that all fuel in NSW has 5% ethanol and that servo's only need to inform the public when ethanol content reaches 10%

so most of the NSW public are running ethanol without even knowing

Of course they will know if they pull up to the E10 pump
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Ok I am with you now ;) Back when I raced my EJ Speedway sedan we used stuff called "Shell A"

Dont know what the "A" was all about, but it sure smelt good. Guys used to add caster oil to there fuel tanks to try and duplicate the Shell A smell.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Shell A :D
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

the e10 here is advertised as 94RON. we have some 98RON e10 available at some servos aswell.

the 94 isnt much better than 91 as the ethanol leans out the mix a little. the E10 98 is good stuff though
Insert witty one liner here -->
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

Sigmaproject wrote:Ok I am with you now ;) Back when I raced my EJ Speedway sedan we used stuff called "Shell A"

Dont know what the "A" was all about, but it sure smelt good. Guys used to add caster oil to there fuel tanks to try and duplicate the Shell A smell.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Shell A :D

Shell A is methanol so the A stood for Alcohol

It should of been purple
stealth

Post by stealth »

yeah ill vouch for that
alcohol is purple ,the stuff you use in engines anyway
for drinking is clear or brownish
cheers stealth 8-)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

stealth wrote:yeah ill vouch for that
alcohol is purple ,the stuff you use in engines anyway
for drinking is clear or brownish
cheers stealth 8-)

ever had anything to do with sunoco maximal ??

we're going to run it in the new 355 untill the 300hp nitrous kit goes on then it will be running C16
stealth

Post by stealth »

yeah we used it in my boat ZZ572 ci 13.8/t comp ,dont go past 32degress all out
and shoot for 10.7/1 a/f
why are you using this ?
get ELF racing fuel :D
cheers stealth 8-)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

stealth wrote:yeah we used it in my boat ZZ572 ci 13.8/t comp ,dont go past 32degress all out
and shoot for 10.7/1 a/f
why are you using this ?
get ELF racing fuel :D
cheers stealth 8-)

got it off Simon Kryger he was going to use it in his torana thinks it would be good for the 355 while its not running gas

the engine had sunoco max nos run through it for one pass on gas to compare it to VP C16 but it glazed the bore

The 355 has since been rebuilt and dyno'd so once it gets a few passes on it we'll bolt on the gas and feed it on C16

Hopefully we'll see low 8.6 to high 8.5 times

Sorry Sigmaproject didnt mean to hijack your thread

but all this talk on high octane fuels got me thinking :roll:
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

anything to do with fuel is fine by me ;)

Anything has gotta be better than Burma E10 :roll:
Lowmion

Post by Lowmion »

Of course you lot would know about just how much damage ethanol does to an older car, with fuel lines, pump, and various other bits (I'm too tired to remember) being eaten away rather quickly by the ethanol.

A purpose built car to run on the stuff is ok - but I'm certainly not going to risk it just to save $5.
Don't try to insure a 1984 Galant Turbo 2000 with RACV, they'll insist that it only came out with a super charger, and that the turbo is an illegal mod........
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Yes I know all that ;) Just thought I would try a tankfull out of curiousity. One tank wont hurt. And it is only E10. Would never go near E85 :shock:
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

-
Just read thet Ethanol attacks the plastic float in the fuel tank, and the plastic float in a carburettor float bowl. :roll:
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

i run my car on bp ultimate 98, runs great not a problem but if i use 95 of any sort i have a little bit of pinging (detonation).

Paddles
'84 GL Scorp, Mildly Worked 2.6 With Sigma Turbo Setup.
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

Sigmaproject wrote:-
Just read thet Ethanol attacks the plastic float in the fuel tank, and the plastic float in a carburettor float bowl. :roll:
i found out that E85 ate my fuel light sensor :( and my bosch 910 lasted about 10,000 after i started running it, co incidence maybe.. maybe not?

apart from that, as a fuel its great, more power, more torque, louder exhaust, mad flames on overrun :D immaculately clean internals of the engine :shock:
Insert witty one liner here -->
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

I hate paying the price, but it's 98 or nothing for me. The premium petrols have additives to keep the internals clean, just like Ethanol. One of the big gripes from the oil companies is that they are being forced to add Ethanol to their own product in the first place, then they have to add the additives to try an eliminate any side effects, and then thsy will be in the shit if something eats out components on you car.
In America their is a class action aginst the oil companies because of damage done by Ethanol to boat fuel systems and engines.
Seems that Ehanol attracts and absorbs a certain ammount of water. Once the limit is reached the water falls out of suspension and falls to the bottom of the tank. So eventually you are sucking up straight water.
So its the oil companies that get sued, not the Etanol producers :roll:
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Filled the wagon with real petrol today. BP98.

Throuble is that there was still 20 litres of E10 still in the tank.

And the dam thing is still pinging when pulling hard in the upper gears. I have backed the timing off to the point that the base of the dizzy (where the adjusting bolt is) is now hard againt the rocker cover gasket. Still plenty of adjustment left, but the rocker cover is in the way :roll:

The water injection is still working, so this is a bit of a mystery :?

Might have to back off the boost a little :cry:
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

prob just a bad combination of fuel, or a bad batch, it happens from time to time, especially in tassie.

Paddles
'84 GL Scorp, Mildly Worked 2.6 With Sigma Turbo Setup.
Leethal

Post by Leethal »

i run my stock 2 litre on e10, if i run 91 ( timing stock at 5 degrees) it pings like a bastard, i get no pinging with the e10 and have run for at least a year with no problems with floats fuel lines ect, being stock i sure as hell am not gunna run 98, of course if i ever manage to get the high comp 2.6 in her then it'll be 98 all the way