what's the difference between GH and GJ?

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
psshhhht

what's the difference between GH and GJ?

Post by psshhhht »

the more i look at GJ's the more they looks like GH with a GK front to me, so it got me wondering, what's the difference between them and all the different models I guess... basically how did sigma's progress over the years?
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
Cottees
Admin

Re: what's the difference between GH and GJ?

Post by Cottees »

GJ and GK are pretty much the same, except for the front is slightly different, and the GK/GN have slightly newer engines and transmissions. Since you have a GH, I highly recommend getting the Gregory's Automotive Service and Repair Manual for GH/GJ Sigmas. I have the GH/GJ, GK/GN, Magna TR/TS 2.6L, Commodore VN/VP V6 and Ford Cortina MKI/MKII. They come in real handy. What I was getting at is in the GH/GJ manual, it shows several things that are different like the rear suspension, front suspension, etc. Things that I can remember off hand are things like the strut mounts for the GH are 3 bolt where as the GH are 4 bolt. There is also the rear springs sit on the diff in the GJ, and in the GH they sit on the suspension arms similar to a GJ wagon. Dash and centre console are also different between the GH and the GJ/GK/GN.
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

ok, cool, thanks for the info, yeah it's what I thought, sounds like the bodies are basically the same (with the obvious exception of the front end)
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

You are right ;) Gj on sedan bodies are wider ,suspension is different. Doors, interior , bonnet are different. gearbox.

Basicly the only thing similar is the motor
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

ok, oh well, I'm thinking about a GJ-GN for my next sigma... just cos they seem to be easier to get parts for
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

The GH is the best looking Sigma IMO

I dont like the squared off rear wheel arch on the later models :shock:
Lowmion

Post by Lowmion »

TUFSIG wrote:main difference is the body iself it shares nuthing in common in that area with a gh and same with the interior
GH is much smaller inside then a GJ GK models
and GJ had the number plate in the middle of the 2 rear lights and GK it sits under the rear bar

So mines a GK GSR import not a GJ as the number plate sits underneath and recessed.

would that mean the fuel tanks different from a GJ to a GK ?

(yes I know I'm besotted by the fuel tanks at the moment)
Don't try to insure a 1984 Galant Turbo 2000 with RACV, they'll insist that it only came out with a super charger, and that the turbo is an illegal mod........
panda

Post by panda »

Motor & gearbox are mostly the same, but from there, everything is different between GE/GH to GJ.
Also very little similarities between GJ sedan & GJ wagons, most body parts & panels are different. ;)
I'm here for a good time, not a long time !

GJ Rally Sigma, 2.6 Haltech MPI [SOLD]
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

The GH has a BW box and the GJ has a Jap
panda

Post by panda »

Sigmaproject wrote:The GH has a BW box and the GJ has a Jap
GJ/GK used BW box, GN used Jap box, but............there are some exceptions. I've seen both types in all models.
BW = Crap (gear stick falls out regularly), Jap box great, but not perfect.
BW box has reverse up toward the glove box, whereas Jap box has reverse below 5th, near the handbrake. Easy to pick by the shift picture on the gear knob. :)
I'm here for a good time, not a long time !

GJ Rally Sigma, 2.6 Haltech MPI [SOLD]