How to turbo?

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
84gksigmawa

How to turbo?

Post by 84gksigmawa »

Hi all got my efi up and running well will post pics once i take some! Overall fairly simple build and is way better than carb! I used the m9 head i think with dished pistons so slightly down on compression however still goes well!

Next step is turbo :) i realise i need a exhaust manifold to suit turbo and an intercooler but what about ecu? Im running standard magna ecu is there a piggy back i can use? Or do i need the big bucks for megasquirt or microtech? Has anybody used the ebay kit that includes everything except ecu? And would a starion 4g54 turbo manifold suit at all?

Just looking for 10-15psi to get that extra grunt there?
On a side note does anybody know what wires need cutting to get a tacho to work? My wiring is for the custer with a clock i have put an entire cluster from an elite with tacho. Thanks guys for any info!
Billsy

Re: How to turbo?

Post by Billsy »

the stock ecu WONT run a turbo. youll need an aftermarket.
Insert witty one liner here -->
A112H

Post by A112H »

And Megasquirt isn't big bucks. MSII will suit your need and they are on special at $444 assembled.
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/mega ... p-171.html
simon

Post by simon »

Sorry for butting in,i was wondering if that megasquirt would suit my 4g63 sohc multi point injected,turbo
Simon
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

Thanks guys that megasquirt ii is cheap as the one i found was over 1000 which is why i was so hesitent. If i had known 6 months ago i would have gone that way originaly over my headache of a magna ecu however i got it to work which to me was an accomplishment.
So then i just need turbo manifold an intercooler what are thoughts on this

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 1152161744

Also any ideas from anyone on that tacho wire? Cheers
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Hi 84gksigmawa. That turbo kit is going to cause you grief. It's designed for a LHD car - which means the turbo will foul the master cylinder. Members have bought turbo manifolds from the US to suit Astrons, you'll either need to hit the search button or just ask who's imported one that fits.
Last edited by geezer101 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

Cheers new it was anerican but never occured to me it would be left hand drive might chase up second hand turbo an everything else to suit and just find a manifold
GSRSYNDROME

Post by GSRSYNDROME »

hi there mate i have used a starion manifold on my gk and trust me its a pain, after alot of messing around i have got the thing to a state were im happy but only changing by booster, master and alot of other stuff, if you have a look at my thread youll see what ive done.
love them save them drive them
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

Thanks for the advice on the starion manifold i thought that was my best bet and im glad i didnt rush in now. Glad im a member of the site lol.

Sorry to nag but does anyone know what connector has the tacho wire i think it is the inside left connector(if looking at back of cluster) which wire is the one to power the tacho? Is it just the negative from coil cheers
leoca64

Post by leoca64 »

... have done same with the lc.I will check mine and get back

looks like you should have just got a hot side off a widebody wreck for your conversion ? ...
leoca64

Post by leoca64 »

On a side note does anybody know what wires need cutting to get a tacho to work? My wiring is for the custer with a clock i have put an entire cluster from an elite with tacho. Thanks guys for any info!

OK - on my lancer i patched in one of the wires that are used in the magna loom to the WHITE wire.My lancer has 4 wire in a loom that normally does the coil /resister

on the magna loom - are you running the magna coil you know the one on the bracket with the little black box and the oblong thing ?.Well you connect the white wire of your (sigma) loom to the black/white wire on the other side of the little black electrical plug that connects to the oblong thing on the bracket (? suppressor). You will see 2 or 3 join on one side of this plug.- but only 1 comes out .thats the one

no photos yet sorry
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

Hey just wired mine up then works a treat thanks for the info. Exactly how you said except the white wire is the white wire screwed to the back not in the plug which is what i thought...i cut that wire and lost my battery light haha thanks again