manual conversion help asap

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
13bsigma

manual conversion help asap

Post by 13bsigma »

hey guys. . got the manual gearbox all bolted in the ge sigma today only to find the gearbox mounts/cross member holes dont line up with the chassi holes. . is there anything i can do about this? i have looked at using the auto cross member, but it wont work. .
1978 GE sigma 57,000kms the toy called silvia. comming to the Gold Coast soon.
1978 GE sigma 87,000kms spare parts for the toy
1996 suzuki baleno turbo. $32,000 invested in it. $22,000 in the engine. $10,000 in sound
1996 suzuki baleno GTX. getting shaved and resprayed soon and receiving turbo engine
1980 GH sigma AKA JET.51G 18 PSI of T04 injected power.
13bsigma

Re: manual conversion help asap

Post by 13bsigma »

ok. so i worked out that the hole for the shifter is a different size. so there's one slight issue. and also the holes for the gearbox cross member are different. so doing a manual conversion is a pain in the butt! the auto and manual CARS are different. its not a bolt over job like i though. :( looks like silvia isn't going to be coming back up to qld with me as i'm out of money to get anything dont to her. . :(
1996 suzuki baleno turbo. $32,000 invested in it. $22,000 in the engine. $10,000 in sound
1996 suzuki baleno GTX. getting shaved and resprayed soon and receiving turbo engine
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

The trans member to body holes in auto cars are 79mm further back than a manual car

do you have a welder handy ??
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
woops

Post by woops »

I wouldn't worry about welding at all if you don't have to. I just used a couple of pieces of angle steel to space the gearbox cross member further back and just bolted the angle to the chassis and the cross member to the angle. I think there is also a few different length of tailshafts for the sedan and manual bodys.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

ok. i have a mechanic making up an addapter plate for me on wednesday. decided to rope the gearbox up through the shifter hole so i can drive it down. going to have to cut up the shifter hole too tp get the shifter to fit a little better. i can still change gears, but 1st, 3rd and 5th are up high and very close to the edge of the hole, not to mention the part of the box where the shifter comes up out of the box might hit going over bumps where i need to cut too. . so will need to cut a little. there is no avoiding that.

i thought this was a bolt over job hahaha. deffinatly not.

almost got the car running again, just have to put in the clutch pedal, clutch cable and a few minor things. .
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

Hey mate how you going with the conversion?

I did the same a month or 2 ago, and like you thought (and got told) it was a straight bolt up job so thought hey why not.

Only to find that we needed to weld up an extender/bracket for the gbox cross member, and hack the hole out for the shifter like you said.

Also, the spacer/stone gaurd between the block and gbox had to go as the auto one spaced it out a lot, too much for the manual gbox to have the clutch disengaged. So had to make one out of panel steel 0.6mm.

Still having issue's with speedo cable though, finally got my hands on a manual one, but my digital speedo still won't work. Have you got yours working? Is yours a digital speedo of mechanical/regular one? What speedo cable you running? You got a 5spd KW132 jap gbox?

Cheers
Logan