turbo'd 253 into GH?

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
metaldrift

turbo'd 253 into GH?

Post by metaldrift »

Just wanted to know if anyone on hear has tried installing a holden 253 in a sigma and had any hints? I'm taking my GH wagon off the road in 2 months and am planning on trying to get one in and engineered with a boom turbo setup.
Shifta

Re: turbo'd 253 into GH?

Post by Shifta »

Yeah interesting choice of motor. I've seen a couple of 308 Sigmas but not up close.
metaldrift

Post by metaldrift »

253 is a simple motor to buy and work on with a lot of performance parts available and plenty of people have worked on them so plenty of knowledge around on them. I prefer more old school motors and I wanted a V8. Also doing sums on what is permitted by dep of transport if I want it to be turbo that's about as big as I can go, I could maybe put a ford windsor 289 V8 in it but that's right on the limit and there harder to find due to there use in mustangs ect, also leaves me no space if I have to bore it out slightly. So I picked the 253, standard they make 185hp (138kw), so even without a turbo there better powered. I could put a 302 or 308 in it but then I wouldn't be able to turbo it.
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

I looked at what V8's i could run in a Sigma/Scorp a while back. Like you i found the maximum capacity with a turbo or supercharger was a bit over 4 litres. A blown 253 could be registered. However there are much better motors out there.

If I was going to do it I would be using a 4.0 litre Lexus V8 (1UZFE). These are a much better motor to begin with, and go well if they are boosted. With a good tune and the stronger pre-94 bottom end you shouldn't even need to touch the insides. If i had the money spare i'd probably have one sitting in a Scorp engine bay already.
metaldrift

Post by metaldrift »

Gh is a 1980 vehicle, I see no point in putting in a 94 model engine and then making it emission compliant to that year, I want to run a old motor with fuel injection and turbo, intercooler and cats so I have no problems passing emissions test, I get a lot of attention from cops with the standard motor so would expect to be sent to dept transport for testing a few times. Also planning on hiding all wiring, coil ect so would have to move it on lexus engine anyway so setting it up will be the same amount of work or less for 253. I'm not looking for big hp numbers, just something that will last and the 253 have a reputation for doing that if set up right, also with boom turbo setup less stress is placed on motor at lower revs.
karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

253... the noise of a v8 with the power of a weezy six cylinder.

You do know that a turbo 2ltr sigma stock goes faster than a 308 commodore...

How the hell can you stick a 4.2ltr v8 in an then turbo it??? Surely that aint goin to be legal.

A Rb30et would be a million times better proposition. Or just a turbo 2.6...
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

karl_2ltgc wrote:253... the noise of a v8 with the power of a weezy six cylinder.

You do know that a turbo 2ltr sigma stock goes faster than a 308 commodore...

How the hell can you stick a 4.2ltr v8 in an then turbo it??? Surely that aint goin to be legal.

A Rb30et would be a million times better proposition. Or just a turbo 2.6...
not hard to make a 253 go hard and once rego'd theres nothing stopping him from
dropping in a 383
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
metaldrift

Post by metaldrift »

I get a LOT of attention from cops, so I ain't swapping the motor if i get a 253 in it lol. I want the lovely sound 253's have, I only need the standard power out of it to 3000 rpm, bout 180hp, then bout 250-300hp at around 6000 rpm. this will make it strong enough to cruise at low revs easily, with the higher revs used for drift, drag ect with enough rev range to stay in the zone I want. It wont be the quickest around, but it will be streetable and do what I want of it. The amount of work needed to put the 253 in would be the same if I put a rb30 motor in, and again I dont want a motor with a heap of electrical crap hanging off it. 253 in HQ weighed 1450kg, my wagon weighs 1200kg, 253 would do 18sec standing quarter mile in a manual HQ, so will be quicker in mine even without mods. Even with a 9inch diff it would be lighter.