13b rotary in a GE

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
13bsigma

13b rotary in a GE

Post by 13bsigma »

hey guys. i'm going to be putting a bridgeport 13b rotary in my GE in a few weeks/months, whenever i can sell my other car to fund it lol.
has anybody done this before or know of how hard it is? like what problems i might run into.

it will be running a webber, and i will get a rx7 gearbox too. . so engine mounts, gearbox mounts, tailshaft are the big things. . exhaust, acc cable, clutch cable speedo cable are others. . anything else?

cheers guys :)
1978 GE sigma 57,000kms the toy called silvia. comming to the Gold Coast soon.
1978 GE sigma 87,000kms spare parts for the toy
1996 suzuki baleno turbo. $32,000 invested in it. $22,000 in the engine. $10,000 in sound
1996 suzuki baleno GTX. getting shaved and resprayed soon and receiving turbo engine
1980 GH sigma AKA JET.51G 18 PSI of T04 injected power.
metaldrift

Re: 13b rotary in a GE

Post by metaldrift »

it has been done before, seen one in a car mag couple years ago of one in a GH. You'll want to upgrade the brakes as well, and depending on local laws if the 13b is a unleaded motor you may have to swap your fuel tank, as ge was a built before 1985 (super fuel). Least in qld when I asked main roads they said I might have to put a post 1985 unleaded tank in my gh. Also your brakes and suspension would need upgrading.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

13bsigma wrote:hey guys. i'm going to be putting a bridgeport 13b rotary in my GE in a few weeks/months, whenever i can sell my other car to fund it lol.
has anybody done this before or know of how hard it is? like what problems i might run into.

it will be running a webber, and i will get a rx7 gearbox too. . so engine mounts, gearbox mounts, tailshaft are the big things. . exhaust, acc cable, clutch cable speedo cable are others. . anything else?

cheers guys :)
Sounds great, but why go to so much trouble to put a carby rotor in it (unless you have one sitting there)? Turbo rotors are quieter, better to drive (so I hear) and better on fuel.

Your first stop would be a mechanical engineer. Tell him/her what your planning and they'll put you on the right path. Get a quote on what the engineers certs would cost for the total job (you may be surprised how much it is).
metaldrift wrote:it has been done before, seen one in a car mag couple years ago of one in a GH. You'll want to upgrade the brakes as well, and depending on local laws if the 13b is a unleaded motor you may have to swap your fuel tank, as ge was a built before 1985 (super fuel). Least in qld when I asked main roads they said I might have to put a post 1985 unleaded tank in my gh. Also your brakes and suspension would need upgrading.
The rule used to be just the petrol tank filler, but since super isn't available anymore, maybe you don't need to either? Engineer will sort that out anyway.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

GE is not a light car and rotaries are not known for their torque.....
This would not be my first choice when it came to swapping into a GE, but I will be interested to see how it goes :)
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

tandanus wrote:GE is not a light car and rotaries are not known for their torque.....
This would not be my first choice when it came to swapping into a GE, but I will be interested to see how it goes :)
T.
What does an RX4 weigh?
Everyone says they are heavy for a rotor.
Easy fix put a 20B in it, seen one in a TF cortina and a series 3 BMW drag car
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

75wagon wrote:
tandanus wrote:GE is not a light car and rotaries are not known for their torque.....
T.
What does an RX4 weigh?
Everyone says they are heavy for a rotor.
Easy fix put a 20B in it, seen one in a TF cortina and a series 3 BMW drag car

RX4 weighs more than a GE

an RX4 carb 13b makes about 20kw more than a carb 2.6 and makes about 10 more ft/lb than the 2.6
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

thanks for the info guys. i want a webbered one with about 140RWKWs. looking at webbers cos i want to get it in there and going cheaply ie. no engine management ir tuning etc. plus. i want to show off that rotary roar lol. and turboing is out cos of that reason and it will be more expence. not to say i wont eventually lol.

i'm looking at $6000 to $7000. I can get an engine and box for $2000 to $3000. do you recon $4000 will cover getting it in there? excluding brakes and etc of corse. .

Your first stop would be a mechanical engineer. Tell him/her what your planning and they'll put you on the right path. Get a quote on what the engineers certs would cost for the total job (you may be surprised how much it is).

a lot or supprisingly little? lol. i hope little. . cos i was kinda thinking of doing it, then worrying about legal stuff later lol. . . dumb i know, but at least i can admit it. thats the first step. . hahaha
1996 suzuki baleno turbo. $32,000 invested in it. $22,000 in the engine. $10,000 in sound
1996 suzuki baleno GTX. getting shaved and resprayed soon and receiving turbo engine
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

13bsigma wrote: i want a webbered one with about 140RWKWs. looking at webbers cos i want to get it in there and going cheaply ie. no engine management ir tuning etc. plus. i want to show off that rotary roar lol. and turboing is out cos of that reason and it will be more expence. not to say i wont eventually lol.
The later RX7 rotories (series 4 on I think) come standard with the turbo set up on them. From what I remember not all that expensive. If you bought a front cut, you'd have every thing you needed. Just splice the wiring harness and run it stock.

I know what you are saying about the sound of an NA rotor. With a bridgeport, nothing sounds better. But a pig to drive and use more fuel than a V8.
The later motors have the issues with the apex seals sorted don't they (do they call them apex seals I can't remember)? If you use an early motor you need a lot of modification to make them reliable.
I don't personally have experience with rotors, but I have read a lot on the topic over the years. I always thought a 13B into a Galant would be a good mod as the motors don't weigh very much, and wouldn't upset the handling.
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

75wagon wrote:
13bsigma wrote: i want a webbered one with about 140RWKWs. looking at webbers cos i want to get it in there and going cheaply ie. no engine management ir tuning etc. plus. i want to show off that rotary roar lol. and turboing is out cos of that reason and it will be more expence. not to say i wont eventually lol.
The later RX7 rotories (series 4 on I think) come standard with the turbo set up on them. From what I remember not all that expensive. If you bought a front cut, you'd have every thing you needed. Just splice the wiring harness and run it stock.

I know what you are saying about the sound of an NA rotor. With a bridgeport, nothing sounds better. But a pig to drive and use more fuel than a V8.
The later motors have the issues with the apex seals sorted don't they (do they call them apex seals I can't remember)? If you use an early motor you need a lot of modification to make them reliable.
I don't personally have experience with rotors, but I have read a lot on the topic over the years. I always thought a 13B into a Galant would be a good mod as the motors don't weigh very much, and wouldn't upset the handling.
I used to have a mazda 1300 sedan that ran a 13b monster port and put down 260whp, wasn't that bad on juice wasn't good either, but it sounded bloody wicked and could make a small child's ears bleed :lol:
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

Why not just by an early rx7. They got rotors in them already.
EVL076
S-G Veteran

Post by EVL076 »

i have a mate with a 711 RWHP (530 RWKW) 13B turbo in his Galant
Dirty big T51R hanging off the side of it :mrgreen:

there is NO turbo that sounds better spooling up than a T51R... nothin even comes close :!:
Image Image
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

i'v always loved my GE and have wanted to do her up as a project for a long time. and i love the brap brap. so i put 2 and 2 together. . . lol

Anyone know what engineering will set me back? and if $6000 is enough to do what i want??? :)
BAD-SIG

Post by BAD-SIG »

About 5 years ago I got a quote from Dyson Rotary in Geelong. He said it would cost $15,000 to convert my GE Sigma to a fully engineered 20B turbo 650hp engine, including transmission and diff, but not including brakes or suspension... I lost count how many times I've actually had dreams of me getting the work done and driving the car afterwards!!
Please click below to visit my blog dedicated to my GE Sigma SE:
http://www.galant-sigma.com

Please click below to visit my cardomain website dedicated to my GE Sigma SE:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/293989

13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

just a little wheel spin lol. would be a wicked ride LOL
darcy79

Post by darcy79 »

about $800 for an engineer's certificate, that is if the work has already been done.
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

crikey!!! is paper becoming rare these days?? i suppose it has some ink on it too. !!!
but come on . $800 for some paper lol
thats pretty expensive lol. .

one of those neccisary evils. like insurance. . but i'v never had insurance. so i wouldn't know that. 7 years of accident free driving. i think the time is now to fianlly get some lol