What Head gasket you using???

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
turbogj260

What Head gasket you using???

Post by turbogj260 »

Hey guys just wondering what head gaskets are ppl using with their 2.6 turbo engines? Took mine out for a spin today and noticed a MASSIVE cloud of smoke come out from the exhaust while i was driving. pulled over and sure enough the head gasket has let go and coolant is runnning in the cyl head and in the exhaust, well i hope :s Is there any performance head gaskets avail for the 2.6 motors? OR am i better off getting one from the starion conquest in the states? Any info will be appreciated... Not looking 4ward to pulling the head off either...
81 Turbo GJ SIG-260
04 BA GT BA GT
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Re: What Head gasket you using???

Post by oldn64 »

hello turbogj260,

in the past I have just used a monotorque or powerseal with hylomar on both the head gasket and the head bolts. if you want to go one stage futher then I would be looking highly at oringing the blovck and head and this will help the compression side. But yes hylomar is definately a key ingrediant.

cheers
The way God intended it.....Chrysler for the win :D
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

im just using a stocky monotorque.
its all i used in my old engine aswell. havent had any problems yet
Insert witty one liner here -->
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Monotorque or Graphite headgasket with Hylomar. Works fine on my turbo.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

Paddles

Post by Paddles »

ive always used a monotorque with hylomar but that is all i have ever been able to find besideds the oringed copper gasket, is there anything in between??

graphite head gasket??? never seen that mentioned before.
'84 GL Scorp, Mildly Worked 2.6 With Sigma Turbo Setup.
stealth

Post by stealth »

what comp do you run and what boost
a std gasket with either copper spray or hylomar will hold up to 25psi with a good tune up to 30 if your lucky
BUT you do need arp heads studs
if you want to go past that reliably then no gasket and a whole heap of o'rings is the go this will hold up 40psi
but very expensive to machine up and a real bugger to clean to put together
just my thoughts
cheers stealth (H)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

original engine was std astron 1 pistons in astron2 so about 7.4:1 and upto 22psi but 18 daily
new engine 8:1 and hasnt seen more than 13 psi yet, and only had one trackday

ill wait till headgaskets become an issue or i get bolt stretch/head lifting before i buy some ARP headstuds. the headgaskets are so easy to change and cheap ill take my chances. unlike my other car.
leoca

Post by leoca »

I've re-coed a 2.6 for turbo and am getting ready to do the head now.I have read on other forums how you can still purchase Starion widebody head gaskets from the US, although they ceased production before 1990....getting 2 H.G's at the moment.The widebody has a 2.6EFI turbo motor that was internal wastegated at 8.7 psi.
The engine is basically a 4G54 wideblock with a few improvements for turbo, like oil squirters.

You can also get better /performance ones that have a metal/composite material...just like a 4G63 Cometic and not much more cost wise and suited to higher boost .
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

RPW racing performance works also make head gaskets for 4g54's, they make decompression head gaskets for turbo applications. they are 135 plus freight. they come in 3 different thicknesses. they come in 1.10mm 1.50mm or 2.20mm. anyone used these before?? or know more about them???
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

SOME MORE INFO ON THE RPW GASKETS::

RPW Service Centre has developed its own range of Turbo Compatible Head Gasket sets. These replace the standard head gaskets which are either 0.80mm thick (Pre 1996 Model Mitsubishi vehicles) or 0.30mm (1997 + Model vehicles which use a Multi Layered Steel - MLS).

These decompression units are available in either a 1.10, 1.50 or 2.20mm thickness. As an average figure, the 1.10 will decompress by approx 0.5 Compression ratio, the 1.50mm by around 1.00 Compression Ratio and the 2.20mm by around 1.50 Compression Ratio.

Example is the Mitsubishi 4G92 Mivec DOHC engine at a healthy 12.5 : 1 CR, with a 2.20mm Decompression gasket for a turbo conversion would be reduced to around 11.0 : 1 Compression ratio as an estimation.

It is not possible to go higher than a 2.20mm unit and retain any strength for boosted applications. All of RPW Head gaskets have been tested repeatedly up to 18 psi boost. But we cannot garauntee there reliability over 18 psi due to a number of factors, detonation being the main issue. At that boost level, any detonation is usually terminal for any composite type head gasket.

Composite Graphite Head Gaskets

A graphite cylinder head gasket is created by mechanically clinching an expanded graphite sheet to both sides of a perforated-steel carrier. Elastomeric grommets integrated into the gasket body further enhance fluid sealing. Mechanically attached rings or eyelets typically seal combustion. Secondary coating improves microsealing, prevents sticking and reduces friction.

Features and benefits:

1.Effectively seals fluids
2.Graphite provides thermal stability, low creep relaxation and chemical resistance.
3.Compresses and conforms to accommodate rougher surface finishes
4.RPW units are made by the same firm which manafactures head gaskets for the Australian V8 Touring Vehicle Series.

Anyone used one or know more about them?
karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

No one asked yet so i figure i will.

Have you had your head machined??? If the head aint flat then no fancy headgasket will help :)
I just use the the $25 ones.... monotorque i think. Works fine on my turbo :)
rob020

Post by rob020 »

i heard somewhere if your using two head gaskets you should torque them down individually (i.e. one at a time) or they wont compress as much as they need to... is there any truth to that?

im using a decompression plate and was just wondering... think i might hylomer a couple gaskets up real good, go block - head gasket - decompression plate - head... then torque it to value then add the second head gasket and torque it down again?? does that make sence??

ive heard alot of bad luck stories from people who use two gaskets im thinking they mustnt be torqued down enough..

cheers,
rob
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out
leoca

Post by leoca »

I am unsure of that Rob...
I've received these turbo head gaskets from the states (4G54), it appears you just torque them the same as any monotorque you'd buy in Australia..unsure of the tightness though (in ft/lb).i.e. no mention of any other material to assist their extra turbocharged function.It says they would suit some Mazda engine too!
i am unsure of when I'll get to test one...long term project engine!..so can't comment right now
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

just put the headgaskets on and torque them down rob. i did it to factory specs and it was fine, ran for two years till i pulled it off.
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
mic_77

Post by mic_77 »

There is one set-up that is guaranteed to 50+pounds of boost from a t51r but will cost around 1500-2000 to have done as there is a fair bit of machining involved.

cheers Mic
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

Wonder what the MLS Ajusa gaskets are like
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
rx22nv

Post by rx22nv »

mic_77 wrote:There is one set-up that is guaranteed to 50+pounds of boost from a t51r but will cost around 1500-2000 to have done as there is a fair bit of machining involved.

cheers Mic

It's obvious which car that's on! I just use a ridecrest engineering copper gasket and an O ringed block and head. The pistons will fail before the gasket does.
GD Galant Wagon 2.6 T04E powerglide - 10.51@124,
GD Galant Sedan Starion powered
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

has that red GH had any good runs yet?