oil and water return

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
regor

oil and water return

Post by regor »

hey guys and girls..
havent been on in a while been working my life away..nice to see everyone is still kicking and having fun wif there cars...

now that i am on holidays
i recently got given a e36 bmw turbo...
but it has a turbo near the back of the gearbox...
car is not running atm...
considering the turbo is so far back and lower then the engine..i just want to no would i need some sort of pump to return the and water from the turbo back to the engine..
because its lower then the engine it wont do the gravity feed back in... or will it?
or will it be ok just to run oil line back to the sump and water back to where it goes

any help would be awesome
cheers :-)
rides.
green twin charged ge sigma (broken atm but making it better (week end car when runnig)) this is her http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3132262/1
black s13 silvia with rb20det (back up)
black slammed e36 turbo (will be my daily when it running)
blue s13 ls1 turbo (project car / track car)
but i would have to say my fav is my ge
geezer101

Re: oil and water return

Post by geezer101 »

I'd assume the flow from the water pump will be sufficient to go through the turbo housing. As for oil it shouldn't have a pressurised oil feed into it or it will bypass oil into the turbo and really make a mess. I would bet it is mounted just above sump height to allow a return line into the sump. This can't bet the factory set up, can it? :| I would think there would be issues of oil surging back into the turbo from the sump via the return line, not to mention heat against the floor pan. Post us some pics please - and I know it'll be a major PITA to get under there but it'll arm more knowledgeable members with info
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

it will need a scavenging pump, oil to a turbocharger needs to be under pressure from the oil pump.

www.performanceforums.com sign up
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
regor

Post by regor »

thanks guys
i no it not a factory set up... the welds arent the best.. and there is a heat sheidl forced in place....
thanks again guys
rides.
green twin charged ge sigma (broken atm but making it better (week end car when runnig)) this is her http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3132262/1
black s13 silvia with rb20det (back up)
black slammed e36 turbo (will be my daily when it running)
blue s13 ls1 turbo (project car / track car)
but i would have to say my fav is my ge
A112H

Post by A112H »

Got any pic regor? I would be interested to see it.