RIDING IN STOLEN CARS

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
geezer101

RIDING IN STOLEN CARS

Post by geezer101 »

We're all potential targets in the war against owning a decent car. There's a few victims among us on this web site. Some have had their cars violated, others have experienced a loss in their family. So I've decided to offer a few low tech tips to deter the bottom feeders of society. First is an obvious one- the humble steering or club lock. This things purpose is a visual deterrent to move the would be thief onto an easier target. Pro's- cheap, easy to use. Con's- they're a pain rattling around the passengers foot well, can be difficult to fit on some sports wheels, only work if you can be bothered to fit it. If they want it badly enough, they will persevere to remove it. Not designed to prevent your car being stolen, only slow down the process. Tip for fitting them- install the steering lock with the key mechanism facing the instrument panel. This improves their efficiency by 400%. The would be thief can't insert anything into the lock to destroy it and can only bend it as far as the dash. These are the main techniques for removing a steering lock in the process of theft.

Second tip is a really basic ignition disable switch. If you can use a soldering iron and a pair of wire crimpers it's easy to set up. Crimp an eyelet onto the end of some typical gauge wire (black as to make it inconspicuous) and attach it to the negative(-) terminal on your coil. Figure out a suitable place to hide a toggle switch (not somewhere obvious like under the dash around the steering column or front seat) and run the wire to the switch and solder/crimp it to one of the switches' terminals. Attach the other switch terminal to more of the black wire and earth it to the body using another eyelet. Wrap the wire in the engine bay you've connected to the coil to the rest of the wiring loom with black electrical tape to disguise it. When the switch is active it disables the coil, preventing it from firing. The engine will still turn over, but won't start. It doesn't matter how many by-passes the thief runs on the ignition circuit, it won't start. Effective, it will even stop you if you forget to flick the switch back! :$
ISKA8

Re: RIDING IN STOLEN CARS

Post by ISKA8 »

:thumpsup: :thumpsup: :thumpsup: for thw second idea..
the first idea is soo easy to diasble its not funny,you say its made to slow would be robbers down but just buy an bottle of liquid nitrogen from BOC gas (no licensce needed) spray in desired area and in a matter of seconds hit with a rubber mallet and presto...i did it to my misses car as she lost both spare keys for the stupid thing..
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
A112H

Post by A112H »

With the kill switch, I always used the low setting on my heater fan :)
Not on the hardtop though, lol That will be fully alarmed and the only time it will be out of my sight is when it is safely locked in the garage, which I am considering alarming too :P
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Just remove the rotor button and stick it in your pocket ;-)

A neat variation on the "hidden switch" idea is what a guy I know has done ...... a semi-obvious under-dash switch (which actually does nothing) plus the REAL disable switch mounted in the boot where no-one ever thinks to look :thumpsup:
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

That's why I said with the lock mechanism facing towards the instrument panel. Who the hell carries liquid nitrogen to boost a car? The method was butane in the pressure pack (lighter fluid)and a smack with a hammer on the old club locks or the method employed in an attempt to steal mine, a cheap dent puller screwed into the lock and yanked out. It was enough to slow down the turd I busted in my driver's seat. If they want your car, there ain't a lot you can do to stop them. But the average tool that does the break in/joy ride is an opportunist. And these are the guys we have to contend with. iF they can't start it first time they'll give up unless they are REALLY STUPID. :roll:
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

davetrees wrote:Just remove the rotor button and stick it in your pocket ;-)

A neat variation on the "hidden switch" idea is what a guy I know has done ...... a semi-obvious under-dash switch (which actually does nothing) plus the REAL disable switch mounted in the boot where no-one ever thinks to look :thumpsup:
Or the coil lead.

My old electrical tech teacher had an old XR Falcon which he rigged up a wire from a hidden battery to the drivers seat sending 12 volts straight up the ass to any prick that tried to steal it.
1976 Galant Hardtop
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

I've also heard of coils being rigged to fire through the seat but don't know how it's triggered to continuously discharge a spark. Plus the law will be on the side of the maggot who's ring is getting blasted by this thing!!!
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

geezer101 wrote:I've also heard of coils being rigged to fire through the seat but don't know how it's triggered to continuously discharge a spark. Plus the law will be on the side of the maggot who's ring is getting blasted by this thing!!!
Doesn't matter if they don't find the body in your car. 8o|
Astron Boy

Post by Astron Boy »

One thing I've done with the row of cars outside my place is to have the wheels turned in toward the gutter.
When the RVR was stolen, I had the wheels straight, which made it easier to getting the car out from the gutter.
Just makes thing that little bit harder, especially with a club lock as above, a flashing LED (immobiliser) as well as a DIY kill switch to add.
Service Manuals for Astron & Saturn powered Cars
Available manuals: TM Magna/ GH, GN Sigma/ A51-GC Galant
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

the best kill switch is a rotwiler in the car or a nice ak47,that will keep the bastards away.. :lol: :P
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

good idea for a thread mate.

i was complacent with my legnum. got stolen in minutes of parking it.....torched two days later.
all your advice is well received but number one option is always a well wired alarm. then a kill switch. then any other idea (solex locks are useless). for the money an alarm costs is piece of mind. anyone in adelaide i reccomend GT autosound. $500 and great service. i got the galant alarmed and central locking on the front two doors for like $700.
vrooooom vrooooom!!
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Ow. You'd think it would've had a factory immobiliser and alarm... Really sorry you lost your ride. I used to keep handfulls of spent 9mm rounds in my Cordia, they still didn't get the message. The method of anti theft has to reflect the initial investment. $500 to stop your import from winding up as a barbeque plate- worthwhile. $500 for your stock GC with faded paint and factory steelies?
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

i would understand your point more if my galant was stock (H)
but i would assume the chances of your stock galant getting nicked much slimmer then other cars on the roads like the generic VL's etc. i guess if i had a car i was worried about but not feasible to put alarm funding into a kill switch is the option to go with. it did suck walking back to the carpark to see and empty space where the legnum was....i thought it had an immobiliser in the key, turns out they dont. and i had the steering lock on the floor i didnt put on. reckon i saw the guys standing there when i first pulled up to. i was not pleased
vrooooom vrooooom!!
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Dude, been there... my car didn't get stolen on this occasion, but it was a case of being complacent (you know- I'm only ducking in to grab something to eat...) Left the detachable face in the head unit. Drove into the car park, saw 2 dodgy characters standing around. Came back, found one of the a-formentioned characters sticking out of the open driver's side door. Head unit gone, hole in the dash and him frantically trying to tear out the CD stacker. He persevered because he couldn't get one screw out. You guess the rest- and into the back of the cop car you go.
TVM006

Post by TVM006 »

Reed Switch Immobilizer. ;-)
TVMDouble0h!Sixx

1985 GK GSR
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Do elaborate. If it's an improvement or equal alternative, post something for us! 8-)
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Kenvv, I took a look at your build and it's a ride that requires a military grade defense system. Fully get it now! It would be bad to see an investment like this wind up as another casualty.
TVM006

Post by TVM006 »

geezer101 wrote:Do elaborate. If it's an improvement or equal alternative, post something for us! 8-)
(H) This link explains

http://office.autospeed.com/cms/title_T ... ticle.html
TVMDouble0h!Sixx

1985 GK GSR
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Took a look at it, not bad (a little more complex than the low IQ coil killer switch) liked the idea of using a dud remote key fob to conceal the immobiliser function (what is wrong with this @#$*ing remote?). But I have a feeling if a hard wire bypass is used on either the coil or starter circuit, it will still start. A technique which is employed by car theives in the U.K. but not as common here is break and enter on the car owner's home and simply stealing the keys, this style of DIY immobiliser would make their miserable lives more miserable! :@
TVM006

Post by TVM006 »

Yeh dude.

It's not going to stop someone with time and skills.
But I just like the idea a lot more than your usual killswitch 8-)
TVMDouble0h!Sixx

1985 GK GSR
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Like I've said before- if these bastards want your ride, there's nothing you can do to stop them. But the more ideas we can get onto this post, visitors can pick a project to suit their requirements and hands on skill level. Keep 'em coming! :thumpsup:
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

if they really want it they will just drag it up a tilt tray like they did to my mates ve statesman and it will be gone in a few minutes
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

The killswitch in my coupe cuts the power to the efi system. It effectively switches the relay for the whole injection, ignition and fuel pump circuits, all by splicing a switch into the stock power relay for the ecu.
Then I hid the switch in a very inconspicuous place.

Another good place for a switch I've been told is the switch on the dash for the rear window demister. :thumpsup: Most of them in cars this age don't work anyway
Although, I am planning to get mine working again.
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Tj. wrote: Another good place for a switch I've been told is the switch on the dash for the rear window demister. :thumpsup: Most of them in cars this age don't work anyway
Although, I am planning to get mine working again.
I stripped a car that had the kill switch mounted in the back of the ash tray. It was very tidy, and well hidden. Just open the ash try, hit the switch and go.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
brendon

Post by brendon »

Somewhere inside the car within drivers reach is definitely the place for the kill switch. having to reach over to the glovebox, boot etc. will make an obvious indication of where the switch is is the pricks watching you park up...

I also heard (maybe a tall story) of a bloke in America who had a 2 coil leads on his chopper (1 normal, 1 to the fuel tank)....Some tried to steal it and boom...bike and thief gone...guy ended up in jail though....
sounds a little far fetch but..
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

It sounds like a Darwin award! It's possible, god bless america... :think:
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

davetrees wrote:Just remove the rotor button and stick it in your pocket ;-)

dad told me about this trick. over the next month i plan to wire a kill swirch into the lc. but as previously mentioned. if they want the car theyl do anything to get it such as towing it (Y)
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

My lancer sits in the bottom of the driveway parked in by at least one other car, which aint moving without the key (mums Land Rover...bloody overboard security system). Anyways, I find this to be very effective, oh and it currently doesnt have any wheels or diff :p

Ive used the rotor button one before when parked in a dodgy area, also turning the wheels and using the standard steering lock is pretty effective.

Cheers Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Rally_2.6LC wrote:using the standard steering lock is pretty effective
Used to think that too... Until this happened to the GD, happened a while ago - hence the quality lol

Steering lock didn't do a thing once it was rounded off :|
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
webby

Post by webby »

Spambot ahoy!!!!

Anywho. My security system involves the selector switch from the auto transmission that was originally in the car, I just move the selector to "L", hide the switch under the console and the car won't start :)
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889