EPA

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
DanTurboLancer

Re: EPA

Post by DanTurboLancer »

I look forward to seeing what the cops do when they try to pull this shit with evo as he will literally pull out his epa certs, engineer certs, test results and anything else specific for the cop to see right there

The problem is,
Your mate can goto the EPA,
Get all certified, and pass with flying colours.

And 2 weeks later any cop can send him again!!!

They have to have no reason except they believe the car MAY have been modified since the last inspection....

So the process repeats!!

It sucks for ANYONE that has any vehicle!

What i would like to correct with this system,
Is if i have had my vehicle EPA inspected, and passed.
And It has been Engineered and is Fully Legal.

Why should i keep paying everytime i get sent??

The Government is Subsidizing the EPA department,
But obviously I am paying for the Representitive Inspection workshop to carry out the inspection.
But why is it my time and my pocket that is effected out of this, when it has been checked and cleared 2 weeks prior, and any cop can send me back again for me to fork out $60, and take half a day off work to get there...

What im getting at, is if im sent, and the car is proven OK,
I shouldnt have to pay!

And the Government should have to subsidise(sorry for poor spelling),
the Workshop.

Because at the moment we have Untrained unKnowledgable people, that are in a position of authority, that dont know a single thing about what they are looking at, or what the rules state.
But they have the power to make a judgement that ultimately costs us the Owner, and has NO effect on the officer, or the Government...

AND BELEIVE ME< MY SISTER IS A COP IN SYDNEY AND TAKES DELIGHT IN HANDING OUT TICKETS AND DEFECT NOTICES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im sure the Police Officer would think more closely about how many cars they sent if there was a Repocusion back onto themselves or the Government.

Im suggesting, within 3 months of last inspection is riduclous....

and if you are silly enough to keep modifying your car back to a position where it will fail, then you deserve everything you get!
tango76hardtop

Post by tango76hardtop »

i totaly agree with you, i had a mate who got defected every time a cop saw him cos they just didnt like him. So after trying to pass his cars over and over again he was forced to constantly buy new cars each time he got defected. there was so many times where they would date the defect notice to 2 weeks prior to when he got done so he had no time to fix anything but the funny thing is once the head office noticed this so they voided the notice and the cops wernt allowed to defect him again for a month so my mate had fun doing burnouts everywhere and drive around with bold tyres for a month
I want to go down on you and make you really happy, then i want to come back up slowly and fuck you real good, yours sincerely Petrol prices.
galantgrunt

Post by galantgrunt »

Dan You are spot on mate. Unfortunately the government, rta, and many other industries are making a lot of money from us with modified cars. Another argument could be they are trying to get us out of old cars and would like us to all buy new cars as they would make even more, stamp duty, sales tax etc and they would probably be able to stop subsidising the car industry.

The thing that really :@ me is that you are guilty until proven innocent.

The best advice I can give is stay out of town the roads are crap and you have to do 60. Get out and enjoy some of less populated country roads Australia has to offer. Oh and one more thing, if you do, stay out of my lane cutting corners is cheating.

just my rant
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I agree with you Dan, but.
I've heard of a particular bloke who modifies his car so it is illegal intentionally, changes the engine numbers and disguises the look of the engine to look like one of smaller capacity than it is. He removes all of the pollution gear even get the holes welded up in his intake manifold. I believe he would be the type who would modify his car straight back after getting it through the inspection, after all, how long does it take to change an engine? And when you've got 2 motors with the same number on them, on standard and one modded, how easy is it?
How do you stop it?
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

changes the engine numbers and disguises the look of the engine to look like one of smaller capacity......

Errrm Cough Cough Dave

:z

Good call there GalantGrunt,
They are making a hell of alot of money off us.

Im not really against cars being safe,
and im not against pollution control!!

But when the EPA inspector tells me he had a line up of Skylines in his workshop, all with cancelled regos because they had thrown out the stock air filter box, and had fitted a Pod, even though they had gone to the trouble of making a custom air box, then its getting too much...
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

Danturbolancer wrote:But when the EPA inspector tells me he had a line up of Skylines in his workshop, all with cancelled regos because they had thrown out the stock air filter box, and had fitted a Pod, even though they had gone to the trouble of making a custom air box, then its getting too much...

been around for years had an argument with an inspector probably 13 years ago cause my HQ didnt have a stock air cleaner assembly, only reason I got passed was its straight gas , gas carb etc , dickhe!@ doesnt know his cars too well as HQ's dont have any pollution stuff anyway but he tried...
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Well lets just say it didnt go Great, not too bad, but definitely not great!

What i read at the bottom was that i had to get the inspection done by 7/12/09 or i got a fine, and that it was ok to drive the vehicle to and from the inspector....

What i didnt see was the fine print under that that read that after said date 7/12/09, the vehicles rego is automatically cancelled if it does not meet the requirements!

In other words, as of monday, my car is unregistered until the guys at the EPA get around to deciding what they want to do with it, and then i meet their requests!

Not very happy!

Basically it got an exhaust test, had to be lower than 96DBA
Mine came in at 95 DBA on Decelleration...

then he went over the exhaust system, and the engine, and the Pollution gear...

now while i got lots of crosses, they are crosses to say it is not Standard, that doesnt mean they are a fail!!

It is now upto the EPA guys to decide what they do and dont like...

The inspector is just not sure as to what they are going to class it as when it comes to the regulations it must adhere to...

'79 Crysler body
'79 Sigma block
or the "Magna" head and injection system...

so he is interested in what they will do also...

But he basically told me they arent going to like the Pod filter,
The FMIC, even though i went back to the tiny one, he reckons they will think its too big??!!
And they wont allow the Adjustable fuel pressure regulator...

77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

so how was this guy feeling about the car passing?
like did he think you will pass or not?
hopefully it all goes well for you man, would be a shame to see it get knocked back.

IF it gets knocked back (which i hope it doesnt) what are your options?
try and get another lancer and just change everything across?

good luck dan :thumpsup:

Dean.
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

DanTurboLancer wrote:And they wont allow the Adjustable fuel pressure regulator...
I can't see why not. All the FPR's Ive seen INCLUDING standard ones are adjustable.

Cheers.
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Well they will call me through the week, or when they get around to it, and discuss what they think...

As i said old mate that did the inspection is unsure how it will go.
He believes its not too bad, but is unsure weather it will be viewed as a Crysler, a Sigma or a Magna...

Really the only Difference will be the use of a Catalytic convertor.

And then they will have to come up with an alternative for the Pod filter.

I was talking with another member earlier, wont mention names.
And he had a very valid point.

Environmental Protection Agency
Their role is to impliment rules and regulations to meet certain criterior to do with pollution control...

So why didnt they do an exhaust gas probe monitor?
Why are they more concerned about the size of my Intercooler, rather than the level of gases that are actually coming out of the car....

Shouldnt the EPA be concerned soley with the pollution that a vehicle is emitting, and once the vehicle passes those requirements,
Why do they then have the power to overrule a mechanical engineers certification that has given the ok for that vehicle to be registered...

Anyway, will wait and see how this turns out, then i will be writing a letter to the Roads and Transport minsiter, and his opposition and bring the subject up...
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Good Luck Dan.
85 GN ,daily driver
86 GN ,resto project .
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

This is one of the main reasons I like to keep a low profile with my wagon.

Its all very nice for Newcastle locals to cruise the foreshore on Sundays, but with so many modified vehicles in that area it is only a matter of time before there is a big bust, and lots of unhappy owners.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

That's why we are going somewhere quiet today.
But I know what you mean.
I don't think my car would be under 96dB.....
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
TUFSIG
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by TUFSIG »

man that sucks dan sorry to hear
wow it looks so different with that small front mount
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR, 2.6 EFI Turbo
1992 Aus Delivered 3000GT Twin Turbo
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Sigmaproject wrote:This is one of the main reasons I like to keep a low profile with my wagon.

Its all very nice for Newcastle locals to cruise the foreshore on Sundays, but with so many modified vehicles in that area it is only a matter of time before there is a big bust, and lots of unhappy owners.

Yeah Spot on SigmaProject, mine is going back to all subtle and low profile...
Was as low profile as a bright Gay purple white interiored car can be

:facepalm:

Thanks TUFSIG That is the cooler that came on it, just didnt have time to put the proper panel on beneath it to cover the full front and hide that plate for the oil cooler... but he was less concerned about how low that plate is, and only worried about how "Big" that Cooler is.... go figure...
81GL

Post by 81GL »

Geez Dan, Do not envy your situation at all mate :|
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

From this NSW site http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/noise ... enoise.htm

Filters

"Avoid fitting your vehicle with a pod-type air filter. This filter increases engine induction noise and may also increase exhaust gas pollution."

Doesnt actually say you cant fit a pod :banh:

Queensland http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home/Sa ... fications/
TUFSIG

Post by TUFSIG »

yeah there will be so many loopholes for these laws i reckon
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Here we go again.

Talking to a Machanic mate that does rego's in NSW and he said that he has never been advised to knock back pod filters.

And so he doesnt. :banh:
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

Any more news on this?

EPA are probably sitting back and relaxing while they wait for the Christmas holidays to arrive.
turbosigma

Post by turbosigma »

Keeping an eye on this topic for some time now.

When i was going to get my car done - Engineer insisted i get an emissions check - don't know if its worth the paper its printed on, but cost stuff all - $30 ish i think. emissions

Not related but, also keep the sigma turbo brochures and NCOP3_Section_LA_Engines Page 23/LA31 - First point in the list - Good for non-orignal sigma turbo owners with all factory gear.
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Thanks TurboSigma and SigmaProject!!

Ok here is where it is upto.

After getting the Initial Inspection done and photo and details sent away on the Monday after.

I got a call on Tuesday,
The Inspector (EPA representitive), says "it is looking good for your car, really good"

But he needed to check my engine number.

So under his Direction, the following sat i wrote a letter of intent,
My name Rego details, date etc
Leaving My address, this time, to his address
for purpose of... blah blah

Got there, all of 5 miniutes for him to inspect the engine number because he forgot to do it the first time.

Tells me its looking good, but they are still unsure what rules to go under as they arent sure between the '74 body, the '79 block, and the late model Fuel system....

-----------------------------

So again that monday he sends of details.

Tuesday - i get a call,
They now want you to supply a copy of the Engineers report...

I tell him not a problem will do when i get a chance this week.

I also remind him that i had the Engineers report with me on my first visit, he says yeah they are asking for it now.

I remind him that The Vehicle had been made to be inspected and tested by the EPA by the Engineer, before he would complete his report and clear the vehicle road worthy.

Inspector/Representitive tells me,

They want to check the report to see if the Engineer requested a Catalitic Convertor.
And they also want to check out th rest of the report....

I asked why.

He says well they are on a blitz checking out all Engineers Reports and checking if they are legal and compliant....

But i can tell you now they will not accept the Pod filter....

------------------------

So within afew days ive gone from Its looking really good for you,
to not knowing again....

Very frustrating!

They wont give me any feed back at all.

I asked if i can call the EPA guys direct and apparently they wont speak to the public, only the Inspector/Rep and the information gets passed on, or sent in a letter.

Do yourselves a favour, if you want to modify a car, do it total sleeper, Bog stock looking, and do it to a cheap shitter.

because even when you spend the money doing it up right, Spend thousands of dollars on Engineers reports, to do it by the book and all legal.
they still come after you, and can take the car off the road.

Next time id do it to a total shit box, and if i got pulled over just pay the fine, and swap everything out of that car, and drop it into another shit box and wait to get pulled over.
it would work out cheaper and easier!

nah dont listen to that its not Really good advise, lol (A)
TUFSIG

Post by TUFSIG »

dan sorry to hear man
wow im going to all this trouble to engineer TUFSIG
all though i havent been picked on yet since its pretty standard looking
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Keep it looking that way Luke.

Its really my own stupid fault for putting that ridiculous big Intercooler on,
and attracting attention to the car!
mick

Post by mick »

Hi Dan i see that your in a spot of bother. the motor that's in your car originally ran on super (leaded) fuel anyway.Whats the difference between a (NON EFI) sigma running unleaded to a (EFI) sigma running unleaded.You have to use the pollution gear that was suited to the transplanted engine. I believe that Only engines Build to run on unleaded fuel need a catalytic converter. I was pulled over by the Police in my Lancer and the they went right over it.It was a fuel injected 2.6L also,NA but. in the process of the police reading through my engineers report there was nothing in the report on the modification table regarding the fuel system as been modified.They asked me why this was and my reply was that before i modified it to EFI i consulted my Engineer and was told that the mod did not have to be engineered.this was also the case for my 4 point roll cage only if the rear seat was removed which they said complied.By fuel injecting the car you have improved the emissions already even more if you install a O2 sensor.and Dan the engineer that passed my car also passed yours.I also had a pod filter and the police told my to put a cover over it.
To many chiefs not enough Indians every bugger has a different view.You can go to the RTA and request a copy of the Light Vehicle Code Of Practice manual on the modifications that you are looking at doing,this is also a good thing to have in the glove box of your car when the cops start asking about your non engineered mods.Remember that not all mod's need engineering.
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Cheers Mick!

I called the Engineer today.
Really good guy, spoke to him for a good 10mins.

Anyway doesnt look like there is much i can do about the Catalytic Convertor,
It is not mentioned in the Engineers report for or against,
If they request it to lower Hydrocarbon emissions that will be upto them, ill just have to have one fitted.

And then i asked him about Pod filters, and he said under
Under ADR 28, it is legal for a Vehicle that DID NOT require an air box to quieten intake noise to a level where it will pass Decible required levels.

So in other words, if the car had loud intake noises and the factory had to fit an airbox that quietened that noise level, then that car will now still require and air box.

Two examples he gave me are Rotories, and Skylines!

But The engineer tells me all 4 cylinder cars will be ok, and he is happy to argue the point with the EPA guys...

(mind this is not a direct quote, just from his memory and what im remembering him say)

Fuel and Emissions
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/environment/v ... dards.html

Noise Emissions
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/environment/n ... noise.html

To be honest, these "Rules" tell me nothing!
Last edited by DanTurboLancer on Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Here we go,
DIRECT QUOTE FROM THE EPA SITE

I advise you have a look at the site, some interesting fines and things...

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/noise ... enoise.htm

Engine components
The following engine components can produce significant noise unless properly managed.

Filters
Avoid fitting your vehicle with a pod-type air filter. This filter increases engine induction noise and may also increase exhaust gas pollution.

Blow-off and waste gate valves
Blow-off valves that vent directly into the atmosphere should not be fitted. Blow-off valves that vent back into the induction system are quieter. Waste gate valves are pressure release valves for turbochargers.

These devices increase the noise from engines. If you are fitting these valves, ensure they do not vent directly into the atmosphere but into the exhaust system upstream of the catalytic converter and/or mufflers.

Gear drives and belts
Care should be taken when fitting engine gear drives or non-standard engine and auxiliary belt drives such as alternator belts. Non-standard gear and belt drives that result in increased noise levels should not be fitted.

Top of page
Vehicle noise testing
DECC has introduced a Noise Testing and Anti-tampering Scheme with DECC Approved Inspection Stations. If the police reasonably believe that a vehicle is noisy, they can refer the vehicle to DECC. The department may then require that the vehicle be presented at a DECC Approved Inspection Station for noise testing and inspection of the noise control and pollution control equipment. The test will indicate whether the vehicle complies with the prescribed noise level for that vehicle (and whether the noise control equipment is defective, missing or has been modified). Penalties for exceeding prescribed noise levels are shown in Table 1.

Selling your vehicle
Under clause 5 of the Regulation it is an offence to sell a motor vehicle with:

an exhaust system or engine components that contravene clause 18 of the Regulation (refer to all the items under the heading 'Defective noise control equipment')
a horn or intruder alarm that exceeds noise limits prescribed in the Regulation.
A57C

Post by A57C »

what a nightmare! and i thought things were strict over here
TUFSIG

Post by TUFSIG »

hows things going on this man ?
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

I think of your predicament every time I go for a drive. :think: It could happen to anybody. Wrong place at the wrong time.

ANYWAY. i though my time had come today :z Had my Subaru parked out the front, as I always do. Anyway I was coming home from a drive in the Siggy and as I turned into my street, I could see that there was a Red car parked infront of my Subaru. The only 2 cars in the street, parked nose to tail. As I got closer I realised that that wasnt just any red car. it was a big Red Commodore highway patrol car, with a man in blue pointing his radar at me. Biggest problem was that I had to go around him to turn into my driveway :$ . Anyway I did it as quitely as I could. And he watched me all the way down the drive, until I pulled up infront of the shed.
I kept thinking , this is it, he will surely come down the drive and ask me to open the bonnet.

ANYWAY, he was having too much fun with the traffic. I watch him through the blinds for half an hour. He got about a dozen victims, including half a dozen P platers. Double demerits. Happy new year.