Roll Cages

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
DanTurboLancer

Roll Cages

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Just thought a topic of interest.

I have alway thought that if you fitted a rollcage into a street car

A. it mean it had to be Engineered, and

B. you then had to remove the rear seat belts, and no one was allowed to sit in the back...???

When I bought my Lancer it had a 4 point cage fitted.
And its allowed and covered by the Engineers report.

However it still had the rear seat belts fitted.

I removed the cage as i wanted it to be fully streetable and be able to use the back seat if necessary... I may refit it later...

Anyway the point...
I jumped in one of the managers work utes the other day.
A nice newish Hilux.
and these utes come from the factory with an optinal bolt in 4 point cage!

So my question is, am i allowed to have passengers in the back of my car with a 4 point cage?

77galantv6

Re: Roll Cages

Post by 77galantv6 »

only going off a mates car who has a full cage. he still has back seats and it is registered for 5 seats.

never had troubles with it.

best option is talk to an engineer. most of them have plenty of time if you are polite and they know all the little loopholes etc lol
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

davetrees

Post by davetrees »

The rules obviously vary from state to state .... but as a guess, I'd say the cage in that Hilux is probably regarded as OK because it doesn't impede the access to the rear seat?

Can't see it being effective at all though, with no bracing to stop it crushing sideways or forwards.

Why would you want a cage in a street car anyway?
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

haha well thats why i took it out, it was more just for looks...

And Good point it doesnt have a diagonal bar in the Hilux, so it wouldnt be Overly very effective at all
EVL076
S-G Veteran

Post by EVL076 »

DanTurboLancer wrote:And Good point it doesnt have a diagonal bar in the Hilux, so it wouldnt be Overly very effective at all
SSHHHHHHHH...
they dont want ppl to cotton on to this, otherwise its one less way car companies can rip the general public off blind :z

OT:

i thought that as long as anywhere a persons head could hit the cage, was adequately padded, then the cage was ok, as long as it was engineered? prob gonna be one of those rules that is different in every bloody state, like the majority of them are :facepalm:
Image Image
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

EVL076 wrote:prob gonna be one of those rules that is different in every bloody state
Yep.

Victorian rules are here .... http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonl ... /VSI28.pdf
Rallyant
Location: Ringwood, Melbourne, (Newport Syd atm) & Seychelles

Post by Rallyant »

It would suite its purpose very well, its not ment to stiffen the car or for crash protection, Its to stop the roof crushing when you roll the thing 4 wheel driving
metaldrift

Post by metaldrift »

The reason these cages are offered on hilux as factory option is most mine site vehicles, heavy vehicle services, emergency services ect require a rop's certified vehicle, they sell more to companies by offering the option from factory. They are not meant to be the same standard as cams rollcages ect.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

cant remember the exact spec but it has to do with head clearance for rear sets and cages. the spec is in the light vehicle mod sheat from rta.
gb galant efi 2.6 track toy
gj sedan hack car
mic_77

Post by mic_77 »

From memory you must be able to get a peice of string approx 680mm long hold it in the middle of the seat then do an ark at no stage must the tip of the string come in contact with the cage this was from a few years back now so not sure on the accuracy.

cheers Mic