Astron engine conversion into galant/lancer

All Technical Tips an Tricks' will be located HERE merged from all the forums above.
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Astron engine conversion into galant/lancer

Post by astronturbo77 »

Hi so your looking at re-powering your stock Galant or Lancer?
The most common and talked about conversion for early Galants and Lancers are fitting a 2.0 or 2.6 Astron engine.

Finding a engine:
Astron engines come in a few different capacities, the most popular being the 2.6 Astron or 4g54.there are also the 2.0 4g52 and the 1850 Astron.

These engines are usually found in most Sigmas except very early GE's, some Mitsubishi Tritions, L200's, fwd Magna's from TN-TS.
when selecting a engine you must find out weather its a wide block or narrow block engine.This refers to the bolt pattern on the back of the engine block itself.

When fitting a wide block motor it will be a tight fit in a Galant or Lancer if its has a manual floor pan, but is still very do-able.
When fitting to a automatic floorpan there is much more room around the transmission.

If you can plan on fitting a wide block to a Lancer or Galant it will usually have a long extension housing 5sp behind it, the rear gearbox crossmember does not have to be modified, but just moved back on the tapped holes in the chassis rails and a mackay gearbox mount fitted (for part number refer to 5sp conversion thread), however the tailshaft does need to be shortened slightly.

having said this you can see why the narrow block engines are more suitable to swap in as the tailshaft does not need modifying.

Engine and gearbox mounts

Engine mounts
When fitting a Astron to a Galant or Lancer there is no modification needed to the engine cross-member or firewall. Its really a BOLT IN engine.
With early model Galants/Lancer such as GA-GB/LA-LB it is recommended that Sigma engine mounts are used as the engine sits lower that with the stock Saturn mounts. and in these early models the oil cap hits on the bonnet frame with the Saturn mounts.

Gearbox mount
For a Galant or Lancer with a manual box behind a Astron engine the actual gearbox rubber mount itself must be changed. the mount is available off the shelf and bolts in. The cross-member must also be moved back on the tapped holes in the chassis rails which are already provided.(not the trans tunnel gear shifter hold must be trimmed back slightly for the gear shifter)

Alternator
When a Astron engine is fitted the alternator is in a different spot on the engine compared to the original Galant engine. This means that the wiring must be extended from the driver side of the engine bay to the passengers.
Most alternators found on Astron engines have internal regulator, where as the Galant ones have a external reg usually mounted in the engine bay on the inner guard. Converting from external reg to internal has been covered on this site with some very good information.
follow this link to find more-insert link here-

Cooling system
Because the engine you have put in your vehicle is of a larger capacity than original you will need to upgrade the radiator.
The most common rad used is from a sigma. When fitting one of these to a Galant its a bolt in job with no mods needed except for different radiator hoses. this info can be found by this link -http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3513
Also the spacer between radiator and support panel must be removed to use Sigma fan- no mods required.

When fitting a Sigma radiator to a early Lancer there is a few more complicated modifications required.
These are:
Castor bar supports must be notched out to allow radiator to sit lower for bonnet clearance.
Radiator support panel holes don't line up and more holes should be drilled.
Bottom radiator outlet points straight at sway bar and needs to be replaced with a 90' bend.
Top radiator outlet points at distributor and also requires 90' bend facing passengers side guard.
Standard sigma mechanical fan will not fit between engine and radiator, I've used a standard Galant 1600 fan between rad and engine and twin 10' thermos on the front side.
These pics can be found here-insert link here-
Please note that there are some over heating issues involved with Astron engines in LA/LB lancers, especially with modified engines and forced induction.

Exhaust

Standard cast iron exhaust manifolds used with Astrons come in a few different variations over different years. some have a single outlet and most have twin pipe outlets.

IF you are to use the standard exhaust manifold with you Lancer or Galant, the exhaust engine pipe must be modified to clear/fit around the steering box.

However most people seem to use extractors when fitting these engines, where standard Sigma extractors have to used but modified also to fit around the steering box.

Some model scorpion engine pipes may fit but are different from model to model, so its recomended to use custom extractors which can be purchased from herehttp://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2388

Ignition system

The standard saturn engines run points ignition, most astrons have electronic ignition, there are several different styles. the easiest for this conversion is to use a distributor from a late model GN sigma as it incorperates the ignition module on the distributor itself.

Please feel free to add criticism or things ive missed so we can give fellow member the best info on this conversion. Will try and get it links etc and photos asap
Last edited by astronturbo77 on Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
astronturbo77

Re: Astron engine conversion into galant/lancer

Post by astronturbo77 »

Article has been edited as per replies.
leigh7005

Post by leigh7005 »

theres a couple of things id like to know when going from points to electronic distributor do you have to go from 6 or 9v to 12volt? like on the 202 holdens.

is there a simple cheap way around the exhaust manifold? my sigma 2.6 has the twin outlet

do i have to move the gearbox back if i keep the galant 4 speed or cut the tailshaft

note the 2.6 will be going into a gb galant.

also is there anything else i can use off of the gh wagon on the gb galant like brakes or suspension or anything?

thanks in advance
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

leigh7005 wrote:theres a couple of things id like to know when going from points to electronic distributor do you have to go from 6 or 9v to 12volt? like on the 202 holdens.

no, get a GN sigma electronic distributor, they have a internal ignition module, you only have to connect earth and power from memory.

is there a simple cheap way around the exhaust manifold? my sigma 2.6 has the twin outlet

i used the twin outlet exhaust manifold, and the standard engine pipe section of the exhaust still had to be modified to fit around the steering box. extractors are easier to mod in my opinion.

do i have to move the gearbox back if i keep the galant 4 speed or cut the tailshaft

if you are using a narrow block 2.6 then just bolt it up to the existing 4sp, no need to move it back or cut tailshaft. when fitting a 5sp you have to move the mount back onto pre drilled and tapped holes in the chassis rails, there is no mods required.

also is there anything else i can use off of the gh wagon on the gb galant like brakes or suspension or anything?
use the front struts should bolt up.
thanks in advance
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

leigh7005 wrote:theres a couple of things id like to know when going from points to electronic distributor do you have to go from 6 or 9v to 12volt? like on the 202 holdens.

thanks in advance

the radiator wont fit gb 2.6 the outlet comes out at the dizzy so no room 4 a hose, sigma rad is too tall, i hav a cut down commy one in mine but am looking at going to a pwr. u can use siggy exhaust manifold or extractors but u will have to modify the secondaries. gal box bolts up to narrow pattern 2.6,no mods, if astron2 head the rocker cover is close to firewall though, you need to move your sway bar it will hit the sump.
gb galant efi 2.6 track toy
gj sedan hack car
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

i modded a ga radiator, made it a 3 core and moved top hose to end of tank and at 45 degrees, extended bottom out a bit...to go around dissy. gave car hell at easternats...no cooling issues at all....mind you i squeezed two, 10 inch thermo fans on the front too!

To solve crankpulley hitting sway bar, i lowered sway bay with spacers between mounts and chassis rail, about 10mm alloy plate..

I machined oil cap on rocker cover for clearance to bonnet, and used sigma rubber mounts...I wanted motor/ sump higher of crossmember.

extended alternator wires to suit other side of motor...easy!

GA doesnt have two sets of gearbox crossmember holes, it has welded brackets on rails...i removed, remade out of some angle iron etc (easy)..and rewelded where i wanted them, quite a bit further back. I used sigma crossmember and gearbox rubber mount, with "wings" to adapt to galant chasis rail mounts, as stnd galant crossmember is alot wider. had to mod shifter hole in floor...
1972 GA GALANT/COLT, with a VR4 4G63T 151kw atw :-)
leigh7005

Post by leigh7005 »

what flywheel do i have to use ? just tryed bolting the galant one up and its a no go not enough holes if i have to use the sigma one can i use the galant clutch coz its hardly been used
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

obviously use the sigma flywheel with the sigma engine, not sure about the clutches.... or take it to a mechanic.
leigh7005

Post by leigh7005 »

i have used a sigma 2ltr flywheel and pressure plate with the galant clutch plate as the splines are diffrent..
bundo

Post by bundo »

I can't see the link for the alternator conversion.

I need this link ASAP. I am putting the sigma alt in the lancer on the weekend.

The new alt has the one main wire and one small wire.

The car has the external reg.

I have seen the link before but now can't find I.

Help please.
A112H

Post by A112H »

+1

I need this link ASAP and can't find it.
A112H

Post by A112H »

If it helps with an answer the new alt only has 1 push on wire and a bolt on post for the direct feed.
Which wire do I need to extend from the original two?
dnvgalant

Post by dnvgalant »

Do most people change the battery in from sigma for this conversion? If so, can someone tell me what type it is? Cheers
dnvgalant

Post by dnvgalant »

In regards to Ignition:
How can i tell if the ignition module is incorporated with the dizzy? Is it visible on the outside.
I'm not sure what model engine i have apart from its an astron 2.
Also Should i change the coil?
MrBird

Post by MrBird »

Hi guys, I need some expert help here.

I'm trying to put a 4G52 which came out of an AUTO GE Sigma, into a GB Galant with a 4 speed box. They are both narrow bolt pattern and it fits in nicely, however I'm having issues with the clutch.

The Galant has 5 Holes to bolt the flywheel to the Crankshaft, but the Sigma has 6 Holes in the Crankshaft.

I got a standard 4G52 Flywheel, bolt holes are OK but it's a WIDE.

So I guess my question is what has a Narrow 6 Bolt Flywheel??
A112H

Post by A112H »

All 4G52's were narrow, so a fly wheel from a 2.0 Sigma is what you are after. The 6 bolt 4G63's also use the same fly.
MrBird

Post by MrBird »

I'm figuring the 6 Bolt Flyfwheel I have must be from a 4G54.
Do you know is the Sonata 4G63 a 6 Bolt?
A112H

Post by A112H »

Yes it is
MrBird

Post by MrBird »

Thanks Jason, yes it is.

Went to see my Mates at the Hyundai wreckers this arvo. There are slight differences in ring gear size, radius on pressure plate bolts etc.
I got a 6 bolt flywheel, NEW clutch plate and a S/H pressure plate which will all work from a 4G63.
I will need to get the centre hole of the Flywheel machined out to take a bearing, as the FWD don't use one, but all in all, pretty straight forward.

Thanks for your help
A112H

Post by A112H »

No worries mate, glad to help :thumpsup: