My 77 LB 4 door (reposted from old site, 56k unfriendly!)

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
Pistol

My 77 LB 4 door (reposted from old site, 56k unfriendly!)

Post by Pistol »

Thought it's about time to put up a bit about my Lancer.
I had been in the search for one of these little gems for a few years, and on Thursday March 7th 2002, I was checking the on-line Trading post, and came across one for sale. I rang the owner and arranged to inspect the car on the following Sunday. Feeling a little hung over from the night before, which was my sisters wedding reception, I headed off with my girlfriend and kids, from Bendigo (Victoria, Australia) to see the car.

After what seemed like an eternity (because I forgot to take a map, I got slightly lost once or twice!), I arrived at Clifton Springs near Geelong (Victoria, Australia) about three hours later. I inspected the Lancer and was impressed with it's condition for it's age of about 25 years, and I knew right away that this was the car I was looking for to build my "club racer". The engine had recently (Less than 12,000 kms ago) been reconditioned by a reputable mechanic (who has also done engine work for some of the V8 Supercar teams!) and starts first time, every time! The rest of the car is in quite good condition, again, for it's age of about 25 years, however, the paintwork was badly oxidized but with a quick polish, came up great! A fairly new clutch and pressure plate are also part of the package, as were new brakes, good tyres, spare clutch cable (which I'm told are no longer available!?) and some spare gaskets!
All this for a fantastic price of only $500 (AUD)!! I'm happy, to say the least.

^^That was from the website I used to have, which I hope to resurrect one day. Alot has happened since then.

Ok, basically, this is how it goes.....
1. Got the car home....

2. Put my plates on her and gave her a polish....

3. Then took of the side strips and badges, added some extractors and central locking and alarm system....

4. Then took out the dash cluster and primed the inside of it, painted it gloss white, then added ultra bright blue l.e.d's and red neon under each side of the dash, it looks awesome at night! Oh, and added the monster tacho, steering wheel and gear knob....

5. Repaired some rust areas....

6. Swapped original small Lancer struts for GH Scorpion struts, with new monroe shocks, then got DBA slotted rotors for them....

7. Dad made a "spit" for the "spare parts division" and started making the new exhaust....

8. Put newly rebuilt 1600 (4G32B, my first attempt at a rebuild!) in the bay, and Painted wheels in "Ouch my eyes" bright white 2pak. Added extra leaf spring and new shocks in the back, reset leaf springs to lower height Modded fuel tank for exhaust to fit....

9. Foolishly rubbed the car back for painting, and still haven't had it painted, then ran car into a deep dirt gutter, DANG! (repaired now, and car sits lower than photo shows)....

Will add more pix.....as I bloody well feel like it!! :P
DanTurboLancer

Re: My 77 LB 4 door (reposted from old site, 56k unfriendly!)

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Pete, very well done man!!
Its definitely shaping into a nice car!!
I like the dash Lighting

Great to see another Lancer too!!
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

i like the white wheels. was it hard to do?

keep us all posted on your progress

Dean.
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Welcome bach to SG. :thumpsup:

Keep the pics coming please. (H)
Cars: 95 Wrx, 77 Galant, 73 Galant.
Pistol

Post by Pistol »

Cheers Jimmy G, will keep pix coming as I go mate! (H)
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Does your car now look like your Avatar? Or is it photoshopped?
I like the look of those Pigma wheels painted white, I had a set that I was going to do the same thing to, but gave them away instead (didn't think they'd look any good on my wagon anyway).
Anyway, your car looks awesome in your avatar. I'd like to see some pics of the finished item, if they are available. It looks sweet as...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Pistol

Post by Pistol »

Hey guys, I still have the evo motor waiting to go into the lancer, and need better brakes, but what brake booster could I use that's still quite small? I need the room for the motor, and I do have scorpion struts, with dba slotted rotors (scorpion size). Any info would be appreciated, cheers.. :thumpsup:
Pistol

Post by Pistol »

Disregard! Already answered, thanx!
Pistol

Post by Pistol »

Now have an RCI race seat and RCI Platinum series harness in! Need cage plans now.. :thumpsup:

Cheers..
Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

Looks great mate, real nice colour and the wheels look awesome, remind me of the oz racing rally ones on the lancia deltas...

Keep up the good work!
Cheers Ben
Pistol

Re: My 77 LB 4 door (reposted from old site, 56k unfriendly!

Post by Pistol »

Back again, R.C.I. Race seat now in, rego has lapsed (thank you broke-ness!) so she'll be a track only car now :banh:
Time to get a bit more serious this year, and get it all done, I'm contemplating not even doing the evo motor conversion now, and just enjoying the hot little 1600, but still undecided.

Next, anchor the drivers harness.

Cheers, Paul.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Winton fun day is on 20th jan. Might be a cheap way to get a feel for it?

Might see you there? :D
Pistol

Post by Pistol »

I went our for the Winton fun day with JimmyG, and I'm not usually one to be lost for words, but after a ride in that thing, I was just stunned, i mean, I own a vz clubsport, so I know what grunt is, but that Galant would eat the clubby for a snack.

NOTHING on the track that day gained an inch on it, BMW M3 & 5, pfft, bye bye, R34 Skylines etc, lol, we'll be lapping you again shortly. The boost comes on, your brain nearly gets pushed through the back of your head, Jesus it's got some STANK.....

Now I've started hastily stripping the unnecessary parts off my evo motor, to get it in the beast ASAP.
Thanx again Jimmy, VERY inspirational.

Ps, sorry about leaving skid marks on your passenger seat :$ ;-)
Pistol

Post by Pistol »

Ok, so a quick update, I've done nearly nothing to the Lancer (had some unbelievable shit going on for many years, but its finally over with!!), I'm trying to get it ready for the fun day at Winton this Saturday., it still has the 1600 in it which has only around 1000k's on the motor since the rebuild, geez it goes nicely.

I've been thinking for some time that I'd like to turn it into a time attack car, once the evo motor goes in, with a huge rear wing, canards and an effective spoiler at the front, maybe a diffuser under the back. Personally I think it'd look HOT.
What do you guys think?

Cheers, Paul.
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

nah, all those body mods would make the car look like a fake hot wheels car

I'd personally put the car on a SERIOUS diet!!
Fibreglass panelling,persepx windows, stripped interior (including all the sound deadener), all unnecessary parts removed (i'd even go as far as removing the reverse, indicator and headlight bulbs and its appropriate wiring)

I remember thinking about building a track hack once and looked at all sorts of cars for inspiration for increased speed.

One idea i had was to run the radiator in the boot of the car to open up the front a lil bit and run a massive scoop fron the intake to the bonnet (holes cut in the bonnet obviously) to try a give the car more front-end downforce

Then i worked out on how to run a 'self operating' DRS system on an adjustable rear wing by running a cable from the wing, through a keyhole in the rear window and have spring attached between the cable and achor point (mounted to the roof) and using different tensioned spring on different tracks to make the rear wing drop at any given speed

Then I thought of making custom mounting brackets for the brake calipers so they sat on the bottom of the rotors to try and lower the centre of gravity

All these ideas were thought of, but sadly, never had the resources (time, space money) to achieve them

At the moment i"m trying to devise a way on how to make the conventional brake more 'inbound' and even more central to the car to reduce it's unsprung weight
Built with pride, Driven in anger
Pistol

Post by Pistol »

You've definitely got some good ideas there, I think I'll need a bit of aero, if JimmyG's car is anything to go by, it's just so quick. A diet is definitely needed, that's for sure..
Pistol

Post by Pistol »

77galantv6 wrote:i like the white wheels. was it hard to do?

keep us all posted on your progress

Dean.
The wheels were lightly sand blasted, then painted in the 2 pack white, just with a home compressor, and spray gun. Wasn't hard.

I'm going to 15 inch rims I think, probably Pepperpots.
Pistol

Post by Pistol »

Ok, couple of update pics, first the adjustable strut tops, and strut brace, completely home made by my good ol daddy'o', I helped where I could.

Next is the wing, probably will be a case of love it or hate it, it's just a trial at this point. So the uprights are 6mm aluminium, the wing blade is off a Veilside supra rear wing, uprights and end plates will be painted red, wing blade in white, re; Tommi Makkinen evo 6.5. I wanted something different from the standardized "Z" in the upright, so going for the Japanese rising sun. The pictures are just the cardboard prototypes. I've settled for the 4 Ray ones, closest to the camera on the last pic.

Hopefully more updates soon.
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

Lol.....nice touch on the wing uprights....I wonder how many ppl pick up on that
Built with pride, Driven in anger
Pistol

Post by Pistol »

Hehe, yeah it'll be interesting, cheers.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

:thumpsup:
Pistol

Post by Pistol »

Hahaha, classic old song that... ;-)
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Stop spending all your time talking sh!t and get thing thing ready to race! :P

PS Ive got a low pressure fuel pump you can use until the new motor goes in to. Then you can just swap it out for the Bosch one.
Pistol

Post by Pistol »

hahaha, cheers mate, I'll use the Bosch, I'm only gunna do the one day with the 1600, then time to get serious with the beast... :thumpsup:
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Running an EFI pump in a carby application is a big no no as it over heats the fuel which can cause vapour lock and can also over pressure the fuel line lifting the seat in the carby bowl.

Seeing its one time at the track where I would rather beat you anyway? :think:

Do it! :lol:
Pistol

Post by Pistol »

Little more progress...cardboard end plates

Should tie together nicely once the other bits and pieces are done.
Pistol

Post by Pistol »

Ignore the shit piled all around, there's been a recent house move..
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Farkin aye!
Pistol

Post by Pistol »

Small bit of progress, the plan is (unless advised otherwise) to stitch weld around the plates, and fill the unwelded bits with silicon or whatevs..