Bolt in RWD Engine Upgrades

All Technical Tips an Tricks' will be located HERE merged from all the forums above.
toruhiwi

Re: Bolt in RWD Engine Upgrades

Post by toruhiwi »

You overlooked 4G63GS. (SOHC 8 valve, twin carbs)

Sold in NZ in Sapporo GSR. Same 9.5:1 pistons as early L200/L300 in Oz. Carbs, manifold and cam becoming difficult to locate in NZ.

I converted my GB and a LB more than 20 years ago.

More pwer and torque than 4G52GS and completely reliable.............simple conversion.

Roger
dwlee

Post by dwlee »

Roger, did you mean a 4G32GS rather than a 4G52GS?

I agree that the 4G63GS is a nice standard motor and easy conversion (if you find one these days). Fit a set of sidedrafts and a bigger cam and they can really wake-up. However, I doubt they had more torque and power in standard form than the original non-balance shaft 4G52GS.

toruhiwi

Post by toruhiwi »

Marginal increases only............I seem recall a figure of 95kw for 4G63GS as fitted to the Sapporo GSR (as per NZ workshop tuning guide by Leigh Mardon).

The 4G63 carbs have 30/32 throats (not venturis) compared to 4G52's 28/32 throats. Shorter engine than a 4G52 and lighter than the balance shaft version.

Roger
dwlee

Post by dwlee »

I remember reading somewhere that the 4G63GS was rated at 90kW (still much better than the standard 4G63 at the time of around 77kW), but 95kW is close enough to the 4G52GS to make stuff all difference. The non-balance shaft 4G52 is still a heavy motor in comparison to a sohc 4g63.
city hunter

Post by city hunter »

usdm starion 88-89 almost the same as 87 but better fuel maps and running 10lbs of boost rather than 7.5 fromt he 87
Power 138kw
torque 317nm at I believe 2500rpm

ECI controlled. Throttle Body Injection.

86 and 87 intercooled setups were 176hp and 224ftlbs
Non intercooled setups were 155hp and torque?
87-89 used the same fuel injectors 550cc primary and 1050 secondary
84-86 used 2 850cc alternating style.
1983 Used the old eci setup seen in the ja starions. Larger throttle body with injectors that were hard wired. I believe the output was still around 850cc

The engine used
Dished pistons with astron 2 heads. Pretty easy to find if you look overseas. Find the right people and you can get an entire setup for around 200-300usd plus shipping.

This basic starion setup makes the light cars get up n scoot real good. It's rough on the rear ends due to the torque. It hits prettty hard and tends to break stuff. If you want v8 feel in a 4 banger go with the usdm turbo, if you want a revvy engine, go with a aus spec 4g63t. A g54b wont rev good until you get a larger turbo behind it.

Someone should mention that a 4g64 efi is a retty thirsty engine for not much gain. Frankly I'd rock a na g54b over one imo.

Figures should be a bit more on a na t conversion. I suggest running turbo pistons iff possible as they take quite a bit of abuse.

A astron 1 block with a astron 2 head will drop the compression to 7:1, but I do not know how much power the astron 1 pistons and rings can handle.

1g 4g63t mas air will eliminate boost cut on 87-89 usdm setups.
73 galant coupe, 78 Lancer coupe, 84,85, and 86 ex1800 turbos, 87 minicab van supercharged, gto vr4, 4 starions. swb montero, mighty max, 88 cordia turbo. 65 debonair
80's Hero
yellowGB

Post by yellowGB »

thanks for the great info. exactly what i needed
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Thought it worth mentioning in here, when modifying a 4G63 DOHC manifold for RWD you need to extend the end of the plenum to which you're welding the new flange for the TB. If you just stick it on the end of the plenum it will be in the way of your coil pack, outlet on the fuel rail and the gubbins on the bottom of the TB it's self will get in the way.

Found this out the hard way :facepalm:
I'm going to get it lopped off again and have about 100mm of tube welded in.
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

^ I know it just adds to the cost, but what if you replaced the coilpack for a coil on plug setup instead to avoid such issues. Also whether or not it's old news or not, you could probably get away with using the 4G37 thermostat housing. It would turn out something like this (this is a dodge D50 same thing as a Mitsubishi Mighty Max pickup)
The owner is using a aftermarket manifold rather than stock, but you get the idea with the 4g37 tstat.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

toruhiwi wrote:You overlooked 4G63GS. (SOHC 8 valve, twin carbs)

Sold in NZ in Sapporo GSR. Same 9.5:1 pistons as early L200/L300 in Oz. Carbs, manifold and cam becoming difficult to locate in NZ.

I converted my GB and a LB more than 20 years ago.

More pwer and torque than 4G52GS and completely reliable.............simple conversion.

Roger

True, I have this 4G63GS also in my Celeste (Lancer LB hatchback). It was like plug and play :D

Cheers
Sven
JayTee88

Post by JayTee88 »

Hey Guys I have a 1975 galant sedan
and reading about all these 2L setups what about the 4g93
and turbo variants i am pretty sure these would have significant power for a small car
just wondering whether it would be an easier swap or just no point plus they are alot cheaper
Thanks Guys
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

I don't know if the gearbox patterns are the same, but if they are, there'd be the same amount of work involved in getting it to fit. Therefore the 2lt '63 nets better gains with the same amount of work, plus there's a lot more aftermarket support for the 63, at least for the turbo anyway.
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
A112H

Post by A112H »

The 93 is a good strong engine and in turbo form they make good power. However as TJ said, I don't know if the bolt pattern is compatable with common RWD gearboxes and there is little aftermarket support for these engines. The 63, even Stevie Wonder can find aftermarket support for these engines
quake256

Post by quake256 »

hi i have a 1985 l200 manual 4x4 with a 4g63 in it.
long story short its pissing oil ad i have found a a 1990 rwd manual triton going for a song with a 2.6 motor.
would i be correct in assuming that it will be a pretty straightforward procedure to just swap the engines over?
all and any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Check this thread quake, it might answer some of your questions
http://sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=8351
Oh and welcome to the site.
quake256

Post by quake256 »

thanks man
Dodgechallenger

Post by Dodgechallenger »

I have a dodge challenger I read but there's not a lot that I could find on a 64 swap I found a turn key 64 with Evo 8 turbo setup in wana know what might be needed to be done if its worth it or should I just throw in a another 54

I'm building the car for drifting I Allready have found me a b2600 bellhousing so I can hook up my rx7 tranny to it any help will do I've been serching and mostly finding dead ends

Taking nissans out if drifting and bring a Mitsubishi in stead
Belial

Post by Belial »

Has anyone shoved a 4G63T into a LC Lancer???
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

I've seen it done in an la lancer race car in the IPRA in SA.....went like a bloody bullet too !!!!!!!!
Built with pride, Driven in anger
Belial

Post by Belial »

I wonder if it's worth doing?

I've already found they are are narrow block, so my 5 speed is already useless?!
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

If he going to the trouble and expense of running a turbocharger, wouldn't u run those funds into a stroker kit?
Far more concealing to the opposition at the track, the boys in blue on the road, and the government at the RTA workshop
Built with pride, Driven in anger
Belial

Post by Belial »

Meh, kind of a medium/long term project.
Already have the original 4G32 in MiniMopar and was looking at options for down the track.

I'm more a V8 guy, these little engines and compatibility across makes and models is a lot to take in.
Seeing as though it's quite common to go from the 1.6 ltr straight to the 2.6 Astron engine, I see then that many opt for the Magna heads...
Rather than put this in, than fit that and modify these... Kinda just going straight to the end and fitting the biggest, without having to reinvent the wheel.