Stereo systems

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
2Lgalant

Stereo systems

Post by 2Lgalant »

Ok not sure if anyone has made one yet but I thought I might just ask what sound systems do people have in there cars I've just got a jvc head unit response 6x9s and schnieder amp goes great but would like to know what else people have out there.
tubby

Re: Stereo systems

Post by tubby »

Sony head unit, Boss Amp, Blaupunkt splits, Blaupunkt 6x9's and a Big F.... off Clarion sub. Shame about the miss matched bits and pieces but that's what you get when you buy stuff piece by piece when its on special. mind you its deafening and oh so crisp :thumpsup: plus it drowns out all the clunks from a thirty year old car I wouldn't even know if there was anything wrong with it...... the 300bux I spent on dynamat is prolly worth a mention too.
That's in the scorp, I haven't started on the panel van yet except for building enclosures and padding bits and peices with acoustic foam (I love that stuff)
'81 GJ Scorpion, '87 GN Panel Van, '77 Sigma sedan
A112H

Post by A112H »

Factory analoge am radio removed in favour of a good sounding engine. Stereo's are noting but weight, IMHO :thumpsup:
tubby

Post by tubby »

when some spazmo pulls up next to you in a clapped out exel and drowns out your engine and anything else you could possibly hear with a supacheap stereo system distorting to all buggery while it pumps out ke$ha, I would beg to differ. Kilos of sound proofing and a heavy amp are a god send..... either that or a gun for the above mentioned 'tard.
'81 GJ Scorpion, '87 GN Panel Van, '77 Sigma sedan
A112H

Post by A112H »

It was Gemini's vibrating down the road on bump stops, stock engines and milo tin exhausts and crap 'doof, doof' that turned me off stereos
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

If you don't have anything else to do but complain eff off it makes life very f__king miserable listening to people complain all I did was ask a simple question and I got a good answer if u don't like music big deal turn down your hearing aid and don't listen from now on I think you should watch what you say as I'm only new on here and seen a few people not to happy about your replies. Ok I'm over it now any more people got anything in there car
ddt

Post by ddt »

the wagon has some kind of 80's philips system with "high efficiency" 5in door speakers. woot.
When i get my diff whine and driveline clunks fixed I have some focal splits i want to fit. I'll probably get a simple head unit - as long as it has green lighting to match the rest of the dashboard instruments.

My bro has some Wharfedale E50 home hifi speakers in shagged cabinets. -I'd love to figure out how to incorporate those drivers in a car-install. The E series speakers are from the same era as the wagon and are classics.
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
tango76hardtop

Post by tango76hardtop »

In my previous cars had an alpine cd deck with full iPod control, pioneer bullet splits, rear had 7x10 kenwood 3 ways, ran an alpine 4 channel for the speakers and an eclipse 2 channel bridged to run a single 12 inch pioneer sub. This combo made a very nice even sound, crisp music with nice deep bass with none of the notes over powering each other and could crank up pretty loud without distortion.
I want to go down on you and make you really happy, then i want to come back up slowly and fuck you real good, yours sincerely Petrol prices.
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

Stock GA AM radio (H)
I replaced the speaker :thumpsup:
One channel of Pumping Mono is all anyone needs.
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
webby

Post by webby »

2Lgalant wrote:If you don't have anything else to do but complain eff off it makes life very f___ing miserable listening to people complain all I did was ask a simple question and I got a good answer if u don't like music big deal turn down your hearing aid and don't listen from now on I think you should watch what you say as I'm only new on here and seen a few people not to happy about your replies. Ok I'm over it now any more people got anything in there car
Calm your farm kid, no need to get upset.
On topic, I have a crappy Panasonic CD/MP3 player and fake Carrozzeria's. Thundering bass doesn't do it for me, so no need for a sub. I will be getting new speakers in the existing boxes and an amp though, the current speakers are a bit crackly.
Big stereos are excess weight IMO, I'd rather spend the money on making my car drive better, not rattle louder whilst cutting fully hektik laps of the main street. I'll leave that for the dickbags in the chromed-out Commodores.
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

my sedan has a pair of 8 inch i think speakers in the rear parcel shelf, and tweeters next to them, best bet is to fit some 4 inch speakers to the front door trims aswell with a decent head unit, but the most important thing people forget with installing stero's in galants is DONT CUT THE DASH FOR THE HEAD UNIT :thumpsup:
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

2Lgalant wrote:If you don't have anything else to do but complain eff off it makes life very f__king miserable listening to people complain all I did was ask a simple question and I got a good answer if u don't like music big deal turn down your hearing aid and don't listen from now on I think you should watch what you say as I'm only new on here and seen a few people not to happy about your replies. Ok I'm over it now any more people got anything in there car
I'm sorry mate. I don't see the need for the strong reaction to this.

The comment you are referring to has IMHO (In My Honest Opinion) at the end. Meaning it's his opinion, there was no comment to try to persuade anyone else to believe the same as he does.

Just for the record, we try to keep the site PG, so the use of swear words are frowned upon. On this occasion this is no drama, but please keep this in mind for future reference.
I would normally send this message as a pm, but I want other members to know that I have spoken to you about this, and for the other new members so that they get the message too.

In reference to your original question, I don't have anything too special. I have a Pioneer rear Ipod control head unit (mounted in a customised Galant console so I didn't have to cut the dash)a pair of 6x9's Pioneer (mounted in old skool house speaker boxes, so I don't have to cut the rear trims) and a pair of Pioneer 5 inches mounted in pods on the front floor (so I didn't have to cut the door trims).
You can see the house speaker boxes in the back just behind the back seat.

I used to have a 12 inch sub mounted in a picnic basket (very stealthy install). The amp was mounted in the top, so when you lifted the lid you saw the amp. But since then the amp has died, and I haven't got around to fitting it back to the car :(

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Its a bit of a pain trying to put a 'decent' stereo into the galants... As they didn't come from factory with a modern layout, what ever you put in kinda stands out a bit, unless your going for the 24/7 picnic look :lol: Which i think is some pretty sweet thinking there Dave.

In the GD I've a Kenwood head unit mounted just in front of the gear stick, leaving the original in the dash, with some Kenwood 10X7's in the parcel shelf. Truth be told, being a week end toy, the stereo isn't really used much; Which is lucky, as it wouldn't be fun trying to put much more in lol.

Nick.

PS: I edited the profanity in the O.P. & in Dave's quote. No need for a lecture as the points are raised above.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

ohhh stereos,i had a monster system in my 300zx that i removed to put in the siggy but decided to put a TV/DVD PLAYER in and a couple of 6x9 in the rear..i still have the system in my closet at home collecting dust; x 2 SOUNDSTREAM SPL170 15" SUBS (2500 WATT EACH)
x 1 EARTHQUAKE DIGITAL AMP (2,4 & 8 OHM)
x 1 KENWOOD 4 CHANNEL AMP
x 2 CANTON SPLITS 6",4" & 2"TWEETER
x 1 AEROPRO CAPACITER & x 1 ODDYSSEY DRY CELL BATTERY
I came runner up at a local sound off.won $5k and blew my back tailgate window in the 300zx..i made 158.3 DB With this setup on 2(OHM).i cant put it in the siggy,it would bloody fall apart.id rather put my surge tank in there.. :lol:
oh yeah this system is for sale by the way..got recipts for over $11k.anyone got any genuine realistic offers,hit me up. :thumpsup:
Last edited by ISKA8 on Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

in mine i have a pioneer fully integrated ipod control head unit in custom centre console
alpine type R 5.25 inch splits in custom fibreglass door pods
alpine type R 6 inch components in the parcel tray
pioneer 1800 watt 4 channel amp
kicker competition 10 inch sub in ported box.
all high quality wiring

was good enough for 132 db and also has crystal clear clarity at that point too.

i only turn it up when i'm going on the highway or late night runs on the open roads away from houses
around town its so quiet it may as well be off
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

robbert

Post by robbert »

Anyone got photos of their sub/amp setup in their boot.
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

cant quite see the amp but its mounted to the cross frame behind the rear seat in my car
here is the boot trim and sub
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

camB

Post by camB »

The head unit has changed a few times - currently a JVC CD player me thinks.
Sony 4 channel amp
Some ancient front split speakers. American made - Power Vision I think. They sounded awesome in the shop and it wasn't until I got them home that I discovered it's hard to fit a 6.5" woofer in a Sigma door. :P They have a 1" tweeter and a box of coils and capacitors and shit to split the frequencies. They still sound awesome 15 years later. I pump 150 watts into each door and don't get any distortion. Good investment!
They only thing I have running off the head unit is a couple of little tweeters up the top of the A-pillars to "lift" the sound stage up a bit.
I don't have anything in the back - doesn't need it.
Have a cheap one of those boom tube things to round out the bass.
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

Sorry all did snap a bit there. It's good to see that I'm not the only one with a bit of music in there cars thought I was going to be one of the only ones. Keep them coming it's good to hear and see diffrent ways people have it's interesting
HEMI26

Post by HEMI26 »

in the scorpo i got so far
pioneer deck
jl audio splits in front
jl 6x in custom parsel shelf in back
jl audio w3 12" sub
2x150rms / 1x500rms response amp (sub)
800w pioneer 4ch amp (speakers)
response cap

pic's up soon

also i got old style pics of my old scorpo's installs :( i'll try and take degi pic's of em :thumpsup:

also in the SV90
pioneer deck + dvd player
q-max bass controller
jl splits front n back
2 x 3000watt pioneer subs custom box
2 x 1500rms response mono blocks briged making 6000rms@ 2ohm (subs)
4 x 100rms 4 ch amp (splits)
2 x response caps
750cca batt
just need to do a 250 amp+ alternator

hoping to enter a comp soon wit it been a work in progress :think:
Current Cars
-GJ Scorpo Turbo (Current Project)
-VQ SV90 #098 (Finished)
-74 RX3 12A Coupe (13B Extend Port)
-HR31 Passage GT (New daily) 4 Sale inbox for details

Some Old cars
-RX8
-VQ (Slammed on 19's)
-GL Scorpo (Immac std 58000ks)
-GK Scorpo N/A H/C (RIP 146.8rwhp)
SIKMA

Post by SIKMA »

ISKA8 wrote:ohhh stereos,i had a monster system in my 300zx that i removed to put in the siggy but decided to put a TV/DVD PLAYER in and a couple of 6x9 in the rear..i still have the system in my closet at home collecting dust; x 2 SOUNDSTREAM SPL170 15" SUBS (2500 WATT EACH)
I came runner up at a local sound off.won $5k and blew my back tailgate window in the 300zx..i made 158.3 DB With this setup on 2(OHM).i cant put it in the siggy,it would bloody fall apart.id rather put my surge tank in there.. :lol:
oh yeah this system is for sale by the way..got recipts for over $11k.anyone got any genuine realistic offers,hit me up. :thumpsup:
LOL thats some crazy stuff man :thumpsup: I wouldnt mind an upgrade for my existing set up to yours :P

Heres mine anyway:

-Pioneer deck (has a decent amount of equalizing features)
-cadence coaxials with crossovers
-pioneer speakers in dash
-pioneer speakers in parcel shelf
-2x Pioneer subs
-alpine monoblock
-kenwood 2 channel
-Jaycar 2 channel

Its the first sound system Ive wired up ever, and on a strict budget of utilizing car audio and wiring that was talking up space in my room. So was a great upgrade for not much dosh :D

Have a pure SQ Xtant only sound system with 2x hexagon subs, 3 amps, parametric equalizer and rare as Xtant componant speakers still sitting in my room. Would love to put them in the sigma but theyre going into my Corolla. Sorry guys :P

1992 Toyota Cressida Grande - 2jzgte + Garrett GT35r, BPU mods
1985 Mazda RX7 - 12A Rotary
1985 Nissan Bluebird TRX - CA20S
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

SIKMA wrote:
ISKA8 wrote:ohhh stereos,i had a monster system in my 300zx that i removed to put in the siggy but decided to put a TV/DVD PLAYER in and a couple of 6x9 in the rear..i still have the system in my closet at home collecting dust; x 2 SOUNDSTREAM SPL170 15" SUBS (2500 WATT EACH)
LOL thats some crazy stuff man :thumpsup: I wouldnt mind an upgrade for my existing set up to yours :P

Heres mine anyway:

-Pioneer deck (has a decent amount of equalizing features)
-cadence coaxials with crossovers
-pioneer speakers in dash
-pioneer speakers in parcel shelf
-2x Pioneer subs
-alpine monoblock
-kenwood 2 channel
-Jaycar 2 channel

Its the first sound system Ive wired up ever, and on a strict budget of utilizing car audio and wiring that was talking up space in my room. So was a great upgrade for not much dosh :D

Have a pure SQ Xtant only sound system with 2x hexagon subs, 3 amps, parametric equalizer and rare as Xtant componant speakers still sitting in my room. Would love to put them in the sigma but theyre going into my Corolla. Sorry guys :P

hey bro,i love the green cricket grass effect in the boot,looks awsome :thumpsup: ..oh yeah i havnt forgotten about you and your car repairs,but you know being easter and all the holidays..ill get onto it asap..
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
SIKMA

Post by SIKMA »

thats alright, easter break is almost longer than christmas break lol
1992 Toyota Cressida Grande - 2jzgte + Garrett GT35r, BPU mods
1985 Mazda RX7 - 12A Rotary
1985 Nissan Bluebird TRX - CA20S
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Does plugging an iPod into the socket on the back of the Terraphone count as a sound system ? (H)
A112H

Post by A112H »

Yes, yes it does, lol
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

Ok changed my response 6x9s to vifa ones still from jaycar but wow they are a very good speaker clear loud and bassy big thumbs up recommend people to buy
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

I thought I'd throw some old pics of an amp install I did for my brother in his scorpion. Tha avalanche amp was rubbish and fried out within a year but the install was tidy enough. Mounting panel and wiring test set up-ImageView from inside (seat removed and panel mounted)-Image View from boot, dummy panel removed-Image Panel trimmed and installed-Image
brendon

Post by brendon »

Sigma:Kenwood H/U, 6", 2 channel amp & 12" sub...box relined in brown sigma carpet to match the car... (pretty cheap basic system)
on the cars after ectoec conversion is finished, (i've actually started now....) will be touch screen H/U etc....

Scorpion: Nothing but the awesome engine note

Range Rover: Pioneer: H/U, 6.5" splits, Kicker: mono block and 4 channel amps, Cadance: 10" slimline (semi decent system for a car that sometimes get full of water/mud...)
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

My set up kenwood splits, 6x9 kenwood rear speakers...12 inch free air sub in a twin 6 inch vented box...vents through p/shelf... just one amp now (2nd amp died from water leak and cbf relpacing it)...splits now run of head unit...nice simple system..
Only prob with fitting head units in dash of GA/GB Galants , is the depth of them...they stick out from the dash because it touches firewall.... a shallow head unit would be great...if you can even get one???
door pod with 6 inch and tweater under heater vent..next to missle switch for line lock :D :D
1972 GA GALANT/COLT, with a VR4 4G63T 151kw atw :-)
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Check out retro styled head units in the US. Look like analog push button head units but are USB/IPod interfaced. Don't know the dimensions but look way cool.