How to respray a Rocker Cover

All Technical Tips an Tricks' will be located HERE merged from all the forums above.
GC75
Admin

How to respray a Rocker Cover

Post by GC75 »

Things to need before attempting this:

- VHT Wrinkle Plus Paint.
- Making Tape.
- Either 2 Hair driers or a heat gun. (Buy 2 hair driers as one could stop working mid way which you don't want. One is a back up.) - THIS ALSO DEPENDS ON WEATHER YOU WANT IT TO WRINKLE.
- Paint Stripper
- Sand Paper

Notes:
- Paint is very run-e.
- Paint in a X-cross pattern.
- Make sure to clean your rocket cover before painting, by this i mean clean it with warm hot water and use some wax and grease remover beforehand.

Steps:

1.) Paint strip and sand your rocket cover (Get it prepared for paint!)

2.) Mask off any hoses or bolts you do not wish to paint. Take time with this process as it will pay off in the end.

3.) Spray the rocket cover in different directions starting longways.

4.) Depending if you want it glossy or wrinkly... if wrinkly geat the heat gun/hair dryer out and heat it until you get you desired effect. Do it all over at the same pace and/or speed. If you want it glossy just paint it and leave it to dry.

5.) Finished!
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
brendon

Re: How to respray a Rocket Cover

Post by brendon »

They look quite good with this type of paint effect.
I recently did mine with a charcoal hammertone paint. Ill put up some photos when i get the interent at home
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
A112H

Post by A112H »

I don't have a rocket!
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

Galant_GT0 wrote:I don't have a rocket!
:lol: I was thinking that too, I mean damn, a rocket powered Sigma would be bloody fast.. where do i get one!?! ;)
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
EVL076
S-G Veteran

Post by EVL076 »

i was waiting to see how long it took someone to pull out the rocket comments :lol:

i reckon 90% of ppl think they are called a rocket cover ;)
Image Image
DragonCypher

Post by DragonCypher »

For anyone wishing to try the bogan method:
-Wipe oil and grease off rocker cover with an old dirty rag
-Masking tape around the edge to avoid (obvious) overspray
-Hurry up and paint with aerosol engine enamel while the weather is dry before it starts raining again
-Take note it HASNT started raining, and use new found spare time to spray strut tops with the same paint.

:mrgreen: Criticizm/name calling encouraged.. because even I knew how dodgy it was before I started but ya know
'81 GJ Scorp: Donated to a mate for a 2JZ Turbo project.
'84 Honda VT250F Integra: Daily transport, mountain racer and track bitch all in one.. damn slow in a straight line though
Future Project (on hold until I move to Melbourne in July): 2.6L Wideblock Astron 2 - Eaton M90 supercharger, draw through 45DCOE Weber.

EVL076
S-G Veteran

Post by EVL076 »

nothing wrong with bogan style mate

i once painted an old corolla wagon i had with pressure pack paint, no sanding/prep work involved
spiderwebs/dirt and what ever else was in the way copped the paint too :mrgreen:
Image Image
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

lol, that bluebird is nuts!

yeah my previous corolla was half-painted bogan style, never finished it before i got rid of it though.. still looked alright though
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

EVL076 wrote:i was waiting to see how long it took someone to pull out the rocket comments :lol:

i reckon 90% of ppl think they are called a rocket cover ;)

yeah yeah i know its a little late but i'll do it

just to clear things up

ROCKER COVERS

ROCKET COVERS
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
genius

Re: How to respray a Rocker Cover

Post by genius »

Im sorry..i just pissed myself laughing over the 'Rocket' covers!!! Thats Golden!
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

was about to start a thread on this exact topic and thought i best try search first. hey presto :thumpsup:

Few questions, as i havent worked with paints much.

The VHT wrinkle plus paint, is that the actual title of it and is it like their other range in hand held spray can from supercheap etc?

What grit paper did you use? do you leave it slightly rough still to give the paint something to grip to? stupid question but assuming wax and grease remover is last step before painting?

do you need to use paint stripper or can you just try sand it all off? if not, is there an easy/reccomended paint stripper to use?

how many coats of paint would suffice? 3 or 4? with no sanding in between?

and lastly, the hair dryers....are they only for the crackling effect? so if not wanting that, can just let it air dry?

ah the joys of dealing with questions from amatuers. sorry guys :hit:
vrooooom vrooooom!!
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

Yeah i love that VHT wrinkle finish paint

i painted most of the engine bay with it,

im talking rocker cover, head, block,sump, water pump, intake manifold, radiator top and cap, battery, overflow bottle, brake master cylinder, brake lines (that one made a bigger difference that i originally intended) and transmission. Then got some black electrical tape and ran it around my spark leads to make them black. (red leads look like garbage with a black engine and green bay

Looked very smart (in my opinion)....gonna do it all again on the next car...but be a bit more highlighted with chrome bolts etc
Built with pride, Driven in anger