4 door to a 2 door

This section is for talk about anything to do with body repair and presentation.
turbol200

4 door to a 2 door

Post by turbol200 »

hey all has any one seen a gc/gd galant sedan with the rear doors welded up and done properly to make a ( poor mans 2 door haha ) with out making the front doors longer like a coupe, i know there are a lot of differences between 2 doors and 4 doors, but i think it would look ok lol, i know it would be alot easer to find a 2 door but i cant help my self and i like playing with cars and making bits for cars, any photos would be good as, whats your opinon, cheers damo :P
spoto a 57 chev

...a 57 2 door
DragonCypher

Re: 4 door to a 2 door

Post by DragonCypher »

Please don't..

Unless you're making it into a sports sedan race car and replacing the back seats with a roll cage, its just not worth it.
As well as the obvious differences the 2 doors have a different overall shape, including the raised section towards the rear of the sides similar to the old school mustangs. Without that it'd just look too weird.

Also what were you planning on doing about rear seat access? With the small front doors theres no way you could get into the back without much contortion and pain.
'81 GJ Scorp: Donated to a mate for a 2JZ Turbo project.
'84 Honda VT250F Integra: Daily transport, mountain racer and track bitch all in one.. damn slow in a straight line though
Future Project (on hold until I move to Melbourne in July): 2.6L Wideblock Astron 2 - Eaton M90 supercharger, draw through 45DCOE Weber.

turbol200

Post by turbol200 »

yer i get what your saying mate the back seat wont be a problem as it wont be used much at all as i have more than one car, are the 2 doors wider than sedans in the rear 1/4 section ??? is that what your saying thatnks for your input mate some people say just dont do it, becuse its a dumb plan lol
spoto a 57 chev

...a 57 2 door
turbol200

Post by turbol200 »

i have seen on lc/lj toranas where people have cut the center pillar out and bolted 2 door doors on then put the pillar in the right place and go from there, thats anther way iv been thinking about
spoto a 57 chev

...a 57 2 door
DragonCypher

Post by DragonCypher »

Note the different curves to the rear of the car.. also I shop'd the second one for a reference to what a 2 door conversion would look like

Not as bad as I was thinking but that could just be the angle and the fact it started as a nice example already.
Its still fairly obvious though that something isn't right, too much space infront of the rear wheel and the squarer shape of the 4 door just doesnt suit that.

If you really wanted to do something like this then you'd probably need a longer door, and just leave the pillars out like the 2 door is meant to be. It may even work then assuming you got it to fit/seal all correctly.
But financially its probably cheaper to buy a 2 door then sell the 4 door rather than do the conversion + respray.

'81 GJ Scorp: Donated to a mate for a 2JZ Turbo project.
'84 Honda VT250F Integra: Daily transport, mountain racer and track bitch all in one.. damn slow in a straight line though
Future Project (on hold until I move to Melbourne in July): 2.6L Wideblock Astron 2 - Eaton M90 supercharger, draw through 45DCOE Weber.

turbol200

Post by turbol200 »

yer sweet as mate thanks for that, the yellow one looks good but ya can tell its been chopped lol that looks beter that what i had pictured in my head lol, the real 2 door is sweet tho lol
spoto a 57 chev

...a 57 2 door
Rallyant
Location: Ringwood, Melbourne, (Newport Syd atm) & Seychelles

Post by Rallyant »

I have seen a weld up job somewhere, Im pretty sure it was for a race galant tho.
Looked OK, But seems like more work and $ than just buying a 2door to start with.
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

ive got a two door... i wont sell it hahaha, i looked for about two years in tassie for one and this was the only one. jason evan's rotory powered galant regulary races at tramack (its rotary powered) it has the rear doors welded shut and looks shit im afraid.
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
turbol200

Post by turbol200 »

yer how shit lol what do you think of the yellow one in the above pic, i know its a photo chop lol but it looks neat,
spoto a 57 chev

...a 57 2 door
A112H

Post by A112H »

I think it would look okay if you used hardtop doors and moved the b pillar back to suit. But good luck finding spare hardtop doors.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Here's a 4 door wagon with welded up rear doors and rear quarter windows.

I think Tubbys idea of a full panel van is better (high roof sigma wagon with rear doors and all windows welded up).
I think a Galant wagon would look good like this also.

IMO, I think a Galant sedan with the rear doors welded up would look stupid, but you know what? Prove me wrong.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong. But, if you are not prepared to get the body and paint perfect, then don't bother (because bad body work and paint will let it down).

A Galant sedan with the right wheels and stance would look much better then one that has been played with and not looking right any day.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
turbol200

Post by turbol200 »

yer thats it, i like that wagon by the way
spoto a 57 chev

...a 57 2 door
A112H

Post by A112H »

I am not a fan of the wagon, I think it is the covered 1/4 window that lets it down. I agree with Dave though, a panel vanned wagon would look sweet.
turbol200

Post by turbol200 »

its diffrent lol, do any 2 door galants have a center pillar ??? if ya get what i mean lol
spoto a 57 chev

...a 57 2 door
A112H

Post by A112H »

Nope, not Galants of any shape or name, GA/B/C/D or A53/55/57 or the Scorpion/Sapporo's
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

nope they are pillarless, thats nwhy i like them, the rear quater window winds down too :|
turbol200

Post by turbol200 »

sweet as thanks for that mate, they are a nice looking car i think, what have you done to your coupe ?
spoto a 57 chev

...a 57 2 door
woops

Post by woops »

astronturbo77 wrote:nope they are pillarless, thats nwhy i like them, the rear quater window winds down too :|
The closest ones would be the US Dodge Colts having the 2 door hardtop and the 2 door coupe. The coupes have a frame around the front door windows whereas the hardtops have just glass. Don't know why you'd go for the coupes over the hardtop and i haven't seen any coupes ever. Only in the brochures I have from the US which can been seen in the following thread.

http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2768

The thing about the hardtops that has always bugged me is the seatbelts ruining the clean look. Although most of the brochures pretty much all show no seatbelts. Must have had lap sash belts or no seatbelts for the photo's.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

at the moment its a bare shell, stripped it down and cut out all the rust, its sitting at home waiting for me to find the time to finish it!
rob020

Post by rob020 »

astronturbo77 wrote:nope they are pillarless, thats nwhy i like them, the rear quater window winds down too :|
haha, i used to love goin through the maccas drive through with my seat pushed right back and both windows rolled down, made me feel like a G :) lol
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out
turbol200

Post by turbol200 »

hahahahahaha sweet as mate sounds like fun
spoto a 57 chev

...a 57 2 door
tubby

Post by tubby »

I think the mock up yellow 2 door looks cool but its a flattering angle, side on it would look silly. a massively long unbroken panel at the back with a stubby front end and doors probably wouldn't look right.
'81 GJ Scorpion, '87 GN Panel Van, '77 Sigma sedan
turbol200

Post by turbol200 »

I think the mock up yellow 2 door looks cool but its a flattering angle, side on it would look silly. a massively long unbroken panel at the back with a stubby front end and doors probably wouldn't look right.
yer i think it looks good as lol, but i think ur right side on would look wierd lol
spoto a 57 chev

...a 57 2 door
boyracer

Post by boyracer »

Do your own thing, your car, where do you live? would have to check it out may still have Coupe doors
sitting out in the rain somewhere (21 cars now so have some sort or priority) not sure if will need them
for our GC Hardtop. Think welded up rear doors would look okay, least it would be something different.
3x la lancer 2door
2x gc galant hardtop
1x gc galant wagon
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

I also toyed with this idea in getting the GJ Sigma wagon, Grafting on a GH Scorpion front end, and converting the wagon to a panelvan using scorpion doors/starion/cordia doors. (mind you, i wanted a blon V8 with side pipes on it too but that would've been too wild and woulda looked like a hot wheels car)

After looking at the all the possible ways of doing it.....none of the ways i thought of were cheap and/or easy.....the wallet would've been turned inside out and the labour involved (for anyone let alone me) would've been too intense

hence....i've backed out of it and gone a different path
Built with pride, Driven in anger