dvsfin's story/rides

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
dvsfin

dvsfin's story/rides

Post by dvsfin »

alright peeps...i've been a member on this site for a few years now...but never really had the time to make my own car thread...till now
:P so i guess i will start my story from the start

okaaaay...wellz my dad got me into galants when i was a little...as he has owned and raced atleast 1 of every model ( :'( i wish i had pics ) ....when i
got my first decent paying job at 15 i started the hunt for a gc hardtop...and i wouldnt settle for anything less :P
but after 4 and a bit years of dead ends and dreamer sellers (ie $6000+ for garbage condition cars) i settled on a gc sedan...pictured here

i picked it up for $400 from qld and had it shipped to my door for another $400
its not in bad condition besides the faded paint, its pretty straight...with no
rust and has air con installed :P i had big plans for it, but 2 days after it
arrived at my house...a mate called me up asking if i was still looking for a
coupe...as 1 of his dads friends was selling 2 hardtops a gc and a gd...and
said i could have them both for $3500...so i said hell yes :P ...and picked them
up the next day pictured here

they were in pretty bad condition...but the price was right...and i was pretty
desperate at this time :P the gc was incomplete (no motor, bonnet, front bumper or paint :P )
but the gd was...so progress began, pouring every dollar i earnt into the gd...
i spent roughly $35000 on it (motor, box, lsd, bodywork, interior)

but the worst part is here...after spending countless hours repairing every inch
of rust and making the car dead straight front to back...the car was sent to
the painter...i didnt even get to see the completed paintjob before it was
stolen....needless to say i was devestated...but nothing i could do with the
dodgy painter skipping the country...apparently he had alot of drug debt or something
anywayz...with that i lost all motivation...and pretty much gave up on
everything to do with it...untill ofcourse i saw this beautiful baby for sale online
in adelaide
well it was love at first sight...and i had to have it..the guy wanted i think about $5200...but i talked him down to $4200 and with that i was on the next plane with my mate to adelaide...picked the car up from the airport...when for a cruise around the town to test the car out...paid the nice guy his cash...and away we went on a crazy 17 hour drive back to sydney =D
the car was basically standard except the tired old 2L and jap 5 speed
here are some photo's from a couple of weeks after getting it home

well i have to go for now...but i hope u guys like this...i will continue when i get home...and sorry for my poor punctuation :P i hope its readable
75wagon
Admin

Re: dvsfin's story/rides

Post by 75wagon »

Mate,
What a story. You must live your 2 door hardtops (I don't call them coupes anymore, the natives get restless). Your car is awesome, I love the way it looks. the colour suits it. How does it look now? Have you changed it? And if you haven't what wheels are you planning on putting on it when you put on the bigger brakes (I've seen your posts on the site)?

You have to make it to the Feb cruise, I want to see this car.

Dave
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

ok first to answer ur questions...im not sure on the wheels yet...i have a set of 15 inch scorp alloys if i dont find anything i like...and i havent changed anything on the outside except for adding a passenger side mirror :P but since i have owned it i have changed a few things on the inside starting with under the bonnet...u may have noticed the silver scorp in previous pictures..
if not here it is as it stands right now :P
i bought it off a guy from here only to discover it had some serious structural rust...i think it has been in a prang and its rusted along where the car has bent
anywayz...it became the donor for a heart transplant...seeing as the motor is a almost new 2.6 with only a few thousand k's on the clock...
the 2 litre that came in the car kept blowing off the oil filler cap and spraying the engine bay with oil...FUN.!!

after the transplant came some tunes courtesy of a jvc dvd deck...some rockford fosgate splits up front, kenwood splits in the back and 2 12 inch mtx 9500 series subs in the boot...

the subs arent in the car atm :P

those of u guys which came to the meeting at krispy kremes early last year would have had the pleasure of hearing these in action heheh :P here a photo from that day

shortly after installing the stereo gear i lost my job...damn...and basically for half of last year up untill a couple of months ago...i was on a bread and water budget >_< ...the car ran out of rego and i couldnt afford to re register it, i had to move in with my gf's dad because i couldnt afford the rent and there was no room for my car so it sat in my parents back yard up untill i decided to move back home and save money to get on top of everything...and once that happened i started putting cash back into my car...well cash for some minor things for blue slip...steering wheel (with horn)...properly mounted seats >_< (see dodgy seat job) and a little wiring job to fix up everything that didnt work :P

and thats basically up to date...
but seeing as the car sat in the weather for over a year...spots of minor rust where the paint has been chipped from when my dad mowed around the car...and i have no idea how to fix it...i will take some photo's tomorrow

here is how the car looked a couple of weeks ago

so next on the agenda is some gh struts...after that my scorp diff will be going in
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

love the colour man, really suits it.
i would be spending everything i had to get this thing on the road and out cruising
love the steering wheel (H)
not so keen on the fluff all over the dash....
i would stick with the rims on it, if not go a set of sigma turbo rims....

is that a sun roof that is sticking up on the roof or something esle?
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Cool thread dude, an enjoyable read, and a one very nice hardtop.
85 GN ,daily driver
86 GN ,resto project .
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

thanks guys :)
77galantv6 wrote:is that a sun roof that is sticking up on the roof or something esle?
yea man its a sunroof...at first i didnt like it...but its grown on me... ;)
77galantv6 wrote:not so keen on the fluff all over the dash....
lolz yea i dont like the fluff either...i think its sub box carpet >_< the previous owner did that...its on everything...even the rear view mirror and the sun visors
77galantv6 wrote:i would stick with the rims on it, if not go a set of sigma turbo rims....
yea man i would love a set of turbo rims...the problem is finding some1 willing to part with them and usually when they do go up for sale...they are sold before i even get a chance to hear about it :P but yea i need to go atleast 15's to fit over the brakes i will be putting on it >_< so these rims have to go :(
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

ok after scouring my car for imperfections this is wat i have come up with...

around the fuel cap obviously...its just surface rust from where the paint has been chipped...i dont know how it got chipped though >_<

this is the gap between the drivers door and the back of the car....obviously where some1's belt has hit the car on different occasions

Image the bottom of the drivers door...it only very small...but i dont want it to spread

Imagethe bottom of the passenger door...i dont know how to explain this...it looks like its been rubbing on something and its worn through the paint...once again only surface rust...but still ugly and could be a problem soon

Image ok the last and i guess the worst...after a little bit of studying...it seems the car has been in a very minor front collision...most probably from bad parking...theres also a scratch on the bumper...the bonnet doesnt line up properly and the paint is cracked under the chrome part rust starting to form >_<

now the hard part is fixing all of these before they become problems :'( and seeing as i have no idea how to do so...suggestions would be nice :)

i know some of u guys may think im being a little anal about such small things...but i love this car and i plan to own it for a very long time...and im a bit of a perfectionist :P
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Go get some rust converter. Take the chrome strips off where you need to and take any loose paint and rust scale off. Treat it with the rust converter. Get a 500ml can of Acrylic Lacquer, you can even get it colour matched if you want (or if you don't have the code for the paint colour). To get paint colour matched go to a real auto paint place and either take your whole car or just your fuel filler (polish it up first if it's faded or dull) . There will be be a small fee involved, but well worth it.
You can just use a toothpick to touch up most of what you've got in the pics.
The bottom of the door where the paint is thin will be a little harder.

Dave
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

will that fix the rust stains on the paint aswell..?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I wouldn't imagine so.
Be careful with the rust converter. Only put it where the rust is, not on the paint (it stains).

Dave
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

ok mr camb has gotten back to me about the struts..such a nice guy...just has to pull them out of the car and post them :)
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

ooook peeps just a small update...i spent the afternoon fixing a few small problems...i noticed my passenger door wasnt opening from the inside...i thought it may have been linkages...but upon closer inspection i found that the handle itself had snapped in half pictured here

so i pulled 1 out of my 4 door thinking it would fit straight it...i was wrong :P so after a bit of fiddling and grinding its all sorted now :) ...while the door trim was off i also fixed the central locking which wasnt working on the passenger side...so now is all sweet and back together :D

so then i fitted a new battery because the old 1 had shat itself..after fitting the battery i tried to start the car with no luck...upon closer inspection i noticed that the fuel lines in the engine bay had perished and were leaking fuel and causing the fuel pump to draw air...so i replaced them and she started up first kick.. :D

so now just waiting on the struts from mr camB...once they arrive i will post another update with the installation :)
camB

Post by camB »

You mean these struts? (H)

Just checking whether Aust Post or a courier truck is cheaper for you. I'll try to get them off before Christmas for you - will depend on work.
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

hehe yea those 1's :P
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

ok peepz...another small update...my struts arrived yesterday afternon ^_^ in their pretty little crate (thanks camB)

while they are out of the car im just going to do a quick reco on them...so after a few phone calls and a quick trip to repco got me some of this (rotors, pads and paint) oh and a new jack...seeing as when i went to jack my car up this morning oil was pissing out of the jack :thumpsup: :@

now to pull them all apart then paint and await the arrival of my lowered kings springs and new shocks =D then all shall be going back into my car i will take some more photo's as i go and post them up
camB

Post by camB »

Ya should have told me you didn't want the rotors. Would have been heaps lighter! :lol:
Glad they finally got there, despite all TNT managed to do.
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

lolz its cool man...my dad wants them anywayz :thumpsup:
camB

Post by camB »

Cool. Let me know if you need steering arms or anything else. I'll toss 'em in the work mail bag. (H)
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Looks great mate!!
you have done alot of work, well done!!

Get some good quality photos taken and im sure this car will be in the short list for the calander next year!!!
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

yea i have more photo's...but my net is capped atm >_< ...so its impossible to upload them...i will try to get them up as soon as i can
camB

Post by camB »

Springs and shocks yet? Need any other bits?

(Just keen to see how it all turns out 8-) )
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

lolz...im still waiting on springs...might get them today...we'll see
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

well my net is still capped untill the 22nd >_< but i managed to upload some photo's...it took forever

my calipers

the cover/shroud things

and my struts

just waiting on the springs to reassemble everything and put them in the car =)

man it took ages to post this >_<
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Nice work, have you sorted what you are doing for wheels, or will the dragways fit?
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

thanks...nah i havent sorted them yet...i have a set of 15 inch gj alloys here with brand new tyres...i think i will just throw them on untill i find something i like :)
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

well i got some wherrits (globe montego's) today :D they are in not too bad condition...

they need a bit of work...any suggestions would be a great help...or tips...i dont mind paying some1 to do it if its going to be a good job...seeing as i dont have that much free time at the moment with work and family things and renovations >_<

i also took a few happy snaps for those who are curious as to where my car is at the moment :P

enjoy...oh and im still waiting on springs because apparently the suppliers are on holidays >_<
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

While you have it like that, can your Dragways fit over the GH 2.6 discs and calipers? Just curious?
I'm assuming no, as steel wheels have less clearance then alloys, And since Dragways have steel outer rims and alloy centres... Could you possibly take a pic even if they miss out, just to see by how much?

Dave...
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

sorry man...my gh struts arent together...the 1's in the pic are the standard galant 1's im waiting on springs before i put it all back together just so i dont miss anything
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I should have picked that up as the calipers weren't yellow..
TUFSIG
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by TUFSIG »

looking great man
when you going to get it re registered
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR, 2.6 EFI Turbo
1992 Aus Delivered 3000GT Twin Turbo
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka