Diff identification

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
IndianaJones

Diff identification

Post by IndianaJones »

Hi

I’d like to change the diff ratio in my 1999 4x2 Triton ute, and I’m hoping a member here could help me identify which Mitsubishi differential I have, and from what vehicle to source a diff centre, fitted with a ratio, more to my liking.

According to my Triton owners’ manual, I currently have a 4.636:1 ratio diff, and I’d like to change to a much higher ratio, somewhere between 3.5:1 and 3.6:1, with a 3.9:1 or a 4.1:1 as a very last resort. If it could also be a LSD unit, that would be excellent.

I’m hoping someone here could identify the diff, without me having to strip it? As the ute is used daily.
I would've posted photos, but seems I can't load attachments on the forum, and I don't have an account with a picture hosting website.

I could add that the centre portion is held on with 10-bolts, and the centre portion to diff housing flange(not the propshaft flange) has an outside diameter of approximately 280mm, the bump on the rear of the diff housing has a diameter of approximately 230mm (9”). The diff has 256mm diameter brake drums, and is 1500mm in length (wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface).

Thanks in advance
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: Diff identification

Post by Scorpma82 »

Try looking at the MK Triton of 02-05

I'm not aware of the ratios exactly but I remember them being LSD (this was when I worked at a Mitsubishi dealership)

Don't be afraid to look at multiple cars of the same model as u may find that the ratios will change if it's petrol/diesel, manual/automatic, or 2wd/4wd
Built with pride, Driven in anger
IndianaJones

Post by IndianaJones »

Scorpma82 wrote:Try looking at the MK Triton of 02-05

Don't be afraid to look at multiple cars of the same model as u may find that the ratios will change if it's petrol/diesel, manual/automatic, or 2wd/4wd
That is part of the problem, I have looked at other MK Tritons, and it seems the 4x4 models have bigger differentials, but I still don't know whether it is a 8" or 9" or 9.5" differential. If I can identify either of them, I could possibly look for the correct gear set that would fit.
As far as I can ascertain the highest ratio fitted to a MK Triton over here, was a 4.1 ratio, in some of the "low body" models with 14" wheels, no MK Triton ever had a LSD over here, and the 4x4 models have an even lower ratios than what I currently have.

The highest ratio Mitsubishi diff, I've been able to find thus far, has been a 3.9 ratio in some ML/MN Tritons and some 3.2D auto NM/NP Pajero's.
But again I don't know whether they are they same size, and whether the gear set could possibly fit my Triton's diff.
I don't want to use the whole ML/MN diff, as they have a wider track than the MK, and the Pajero is IRS.
Taz

Post by Taz »

i sourced and supplied an early pajero diff to stealth before he went awol. was a 3.9 hybrid LSD diff out of an early NH/J pajero if i remember correctly. I have nfi if it would work for you as it wasnt leaf spring or if it was a salisbury diff style to remove the centre. Might be something to look into?
AlaskaMitsu

Post by AlaskaMitsu »

ever go anywhere with this?