Scorpion brakes on GE Sigma?

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
RaptorReed

Scorpion brakes on GE Sigma?

Post by RaptorReed »

Is it possible to transfer the rear disc brake setup from a Scorpion over to a GE Sigma? From what I can tell at least a GE/GH Scorps to the GE Sigmas have the same rear axles, but of course the Scorps have disc while the sigmas have drums. So I'm wondering if I acquire all the brake parts for a Scorpion/Challenger and bolt them all onto my wagon's axle hubs after deleting the drum stuff.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
Superscan811

Re: Scorpion brakes on GE Sigma?

Post by Superscan811 »

In Australia, the GE/GH Sigma's run a BorgWarner diff, which uses a totally different brake arrangement and attachment points.

The entire diff from a GE/GH Scorp can be swapped in, (the 10 bolt GH diff is preferable) but you also require all the arms, hand brake cables, as well as the tailshaft, because the top arm pickups are reversed and the diff flange and universals are different as well.

Ran into this problem with my GE Sigma back in 1987 when I broke an axle (BorgWarner) and then replace the entire diff with a Jap (MMC) diff. It took several trips back to the Salvage yard to get all the bits.

Also wound up swapping in Starion/Starquest front and rear vented discs and callipers. It required the Starion/Starquest front struts, along with the hand brake cables and the Scorpion hand brake cable end holders on the rear Starion callipers.

Hope this helps.
RaptorReed

Re: Scorpion brakes on GE Sigma?

Post by RaptorReed »

It helps some, though of course all of our Challenger/Sapporos and GE equivalent Sigma wagons over here have the Jap diffs as far as I know. We never had the BW transmissions or rear ends over here.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion