4g63 gearbox options

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

4g63 gearbox options

Post by 81GL »

Hey all.

Been a while (was wondering if i should post a new introduction...).

Wondering what gear box would be recommended to put behind a 4g63t in a galant?
Im looking at having an engine built so I've got the choice of wide / narrow; plan to choose that depending on what has the better gearbox options.

Searching around the supra gearbox seems popular; are adaptors readily available??

Cheers in advance!
Nick.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
Taz

Re: 4g63 gearbox options

Post by Taz »

Supra box, r154 is the most desirable but most expensive. Rx7 turbo boxes also do the trick. Bill hinchner in the states will do the bellhousing for around 350us bolt up. Both boxes will take the load. I'd also look at diff options as they're also a weak point. I've put a hilux diff in mine for many reasons. You'll have 5 or 6 stud on the back though
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Hey Nick. Welcome to SG ;-) lol. I'm running a W55 ATM. It fits in the manual tunnel without mods and if you can get hold of Bill Hitcher and his bell housing kit, go's together with amazing ease. Happy to give you a few pointers in regard to a super easy hydraulic clutch mod to. Save you some upside down under dash fun. :banh:

Its the easiest and cheapest to fit by far but also weaker than r154 & rx7 options. I'm on 200rwkw but have planed boost up to 250kw in time. Running a stock vr4 pressure plate, organic hilux clutch disk, so not huge shock load combo but find tires (205-50-15 Dunlop semi slicks) are the weak link at this point. So much so that 1st and 2nd are near unusable when at full boost. You power, driving style, clutch style, diff, tyres, planned use, budget and commitment/ability to do floor pan changes are all in the mix. So keep the info coming and we can see what we can nut out. :thumpsup:
Cars: 95 Wrx, 77 Galant, 73 Galant.
81GL

Post by 81GL »

Taz - The hilux diff option sounds interesting? what model hilux is it from? 2wd / 4wd?

The R154 box, is that the W58 that seems to pop up every where? Do recall hearing about the RX7 option a while ago now that you mention it; I would imagine they would be harder to find these days rather compared to the toyota box?

Thanks for the welcome Jimmy! :lol:
Bill Hinchener, I've read his name a few times while googling around, but I'm yet to see any real contact info for him? Does he have a shop front or something?
Clutch pointers might be helpful later on.

To give you an idea of what I'm aiming for at the moment; I've got two Jap boxes in the shed - wide & narrow. So plan to have an engine built up & pop it in with one of them & get the car back on the road - Obviously driving it accordingly lol.
What I'm trying to figure out at the moment is - which bell housing pattern is going to be easier later on to adapt a stronger gearbox etc.
In the end I'm just wanting a fairly standard 4G63t with a drive train that can handle abuse (read in to that what you like :thumpsup: )
I've got an RVR engine in the shed, but if a wide block will be easier later on, now is the time to change block!

Cheers for the help!
Taz

Post by Taz »

I have a 2wd from a 91 I believe. The best part is that all hilux diffs are essentially the same from the 80s through to 2005,same centres only. Varying slightly in overall length. I got lucky and found an lsd high ratio that's only 5mm wider than the lc diff so almost a straight bolt in 5 stud to the rear. It doesn't really matter wide or narrow at the end of the day as hinchner will make the bellhousing to suit. However I'm sure wideblock is the more common for these conversions if that helps. W58 is the cheaper alternative to the r154. Same deal, but I'm using a 154 as I'm throwing 500 odd hp at it I want it all to not break every weekend lol but I'm sure for a standard weekender turbo the W58 will do. He's got his own shop yes. Ill link it later when the net at home is fixed. Clutch wise you'll use what your engine is most of the time. I'm trying to get npc clutches to make a limited run of their 5kg 2.6l flywheels but not sure if they will it has been a while since they did. I'm sure a more knowledgeable person will see you in the right direction clutch wise. Which rvr do you have? I daily an hsgr and they have quite a bit of pep in a wagon let alone a smaller car. Should be quite fun when you're done
Taz

Post by Taz »

Forgot to say with the diff, r31 rear callipers and ba falcon sedan rear discs with a very simple adaptor plate is a big brake upgrade for the rear and minimal fuss with handbrake as r31 is on calliper not internal or hydraulic.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Narrow block sounds the easy option to me. I ran a stock jap box for a while and it did not let go. Do that till you decide what diff box combo you want. Then pull all the parts together over time while still enjoying the car.

Stealth does BW78 diffs that are bolt in. Maby PM him.

As for supra boxes. The w5x are from early supra's. Good for 250-300hp and no floor pan changes. Much cheaper and weaker than the later R156 boxes. These are pricey, HUGE and good for 800-1000hp.

Not had much to do with RX7 boxes sorry. I've not seen/been aware of one ever being fitted to a Galant or Lancer.

I went a w55 as I found one cheap $300 and no changes to the floor pan where needed. That would be my thoughts for you to.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

W5x vs r154
Taz

Post by Taz »

I think stealth might be out of action for a while with some IRL stuff.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Nothing bad I hope? :|
81GL

Post by 81GL »

Some interesting information there to think about.

Staying with the current narrow block would be convenient; if it is as easy as getting an adapter made to suit either pattern.
Or would it be more common to see a used one to suit a wide block?

Only other thought I've also had was with finding a flywheel - I didn't get a flywheel with the engine as it was from an auto, and being a 7 bolt crank I've found they aren't that common :think:
Unless someone knows of where to find one of them?

if the W5X is good for 250 ~ 300HP that would be enough for me at the moment :thumpsup:

Is Stealth still around is he? Good to see there are still a few familiar names around on the site!

Thanks for the info guys! Much appreciated.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

7 bolt crank is easy. L300 4g63 8v motor. You can tell the 7 bolt motors by there thermostat housing being held on by 4 bolts not 3.

If it was me I'd save my self the BS of an engine rebuild and run a stock narrow block motor. Dellow also make custom bell housings I believe but they sting the wallet vs Bill's ones. Find a bell housing and the rest is icecream. :)

Ps pity you don't have a 6 bolt or I'd give you my old one before I went an alloy jobby.